Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

Newbie looking for a bit of advise please.

Looking to buy either a GS300 or GS450h and was wondering is there a vast difference in fuel consumption. I do approx 12k a year (40% short town commute and 60% longer motorway runs). Is the 450h any better than a 300 in say an 8 mile commute through town? I would guess there's not much between them on longer runs as the 450 uses the 3.5V6 at higher speed but was wondering how good it is around town.

Would be interested to hear what others are getting MPG wise.

Also, do the 18" alloys on the SE-L significantly compromise the ride quality over the standard 17" wheels on the SE?

Will hopefully be a new owner very soon so any info or advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

Newbie looking for a bit of advise please.

Looking to buy either a GS300 or GS450h and was wondering is there a vast difference in fuel consumption. I do approx 12k a year (40% short town commute and 60% longer motorway runs). Is the 450h any better than a 300 in say an 8 mile commute through town? I would guess there's not much between them on longer runs as the 450 uses the 3.5V6 at higher speed but was wondering how good it is around town.

Would be interested to hear what others are getting MPG wise.

Also, do the 18" Alloys on the SE-L significantly compromise the ride quality over the standard 17" wheels on the SE?

Will hopefully be a new owner very soon so any info or advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I use my 450h as a works car covering about 1000 miles a week of mixed driving, if I concentrate it will average 40 MPG on a fill up, have not re set the main trip computer for 85,000 miles over which she has averaged an impressive 35.9 MPG. You can not thrash these cars ( prison beckons if you do! ) but I dont hang about and it still makes me grin every day with its overtaking ability. These cars are more about high performance than just econmy.

Have not tried 1 with 17" wheels but the ride in mine is superb with the standard 18" wheels and the suspension set to sport (also sharpens the power delivery but not by as much as the PWR control )

If you do go for a 450h try for a SE L it is worth it for the Adaptive cruise control alone, the best invention on a car since brakes!

Good luck Tony

Hi Steve.....

With my 2005 GS my MPG is as follows:

Long Motorway trips at 80 MPH-----37mpg

Mixed Driving around 30mpg

Mainly town driving around 24mpg

Not Bad for a 3litre monster......

Hi, I have had both cars, the GS 300 & GS450h & the 450h wins hands down, as for fuel consumption I only cover a max of 5k miles a year 95% is town driving & most journeys are short, around 6 miles.

Although I really don’t want to admit it I am probably a bit of a granddad driver, I have rarely stick my foot down, and have only a couple of times used the sport & power button, the last time I tried it I ended up in the back seat.lol

Because of my short journeys in the winter months I average 26 mpg, and in the spring/summer 30mpg, I have never reset the fuel computer and it is showing 28.9mpg over the last 3 years.

My car has 18” wheels and the ride comfort is not bad, I find any car with low profile tyres tends to give you a more bumpy ride over a car that has, what I call balloon tyres

There’s not a lot of difference between the SE & SE-L or though this does depend on the year you are intending to buy, in 2009 they de-specked the SE taking of, electric rear sun blind, 18” wheels and rain sensitive wipers, as for adaptive cruise control, this is not standard on either model.

Good luck, and if you can wait until next June you can buy mine.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Sounds like the 450h is the slightly more economic overall. Will go and drive both to decide if the 450h is worth the additional purchase cost. There do seem to be some vey nice GS300's around for relatively little money at the moment so will have to weigh up the overall costs.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve

Hi Steve,

If it helps, I am new to the GS myself 1 year ago.

I bought a GS300 SE-L on a 56 plate, as the spec was very high and the car is a pleasure to drive.

I bought it as a car that could cope with approx 40k a year. Mainly long runs, but some town driving thrown in.

My car resets the trip after each fill up, and i have got 35-36mpg from each tank full.

I have the 18" wheels, and would say there is some road noise, but not enough to annoy. the ride my car has is fantastic. I have driven to Scotland and back from Milton Keynes in a day without issue, and on these longer runs, if driven with a bit more care than normal, you can nudge 38-39 mpg.

I originally visited the dealer to look at an IS, but the GS caught my eye, and was definately a good choice.

Paul

Hi there,

My 2006 GS300 SE-L does 26 mpg around the doors (7 miles each way to work) but I can get upper 30's easily on long runs. The best I ever achieved was 43 mpg from Washington to Stamford straight down the A1 all the way. The way I did it was by filling up to reset the fuel computer immediately before the journey then using cruise control at around 70 mph almost all of the way easing the speed up and down with the column control keeping my feet away from the 'juice' pedal. The return journey was 42 mpg.

I chose the SE-L model to get the 18" alloys as I believe it improves the look of the car, I have never found the ride to be hard in any way. The SE-L gets a few other bells and whistles such as Mark Levinson sounds system, boot lip spoiler, sunroof, 18" wheels, etc.

I would love to change for the GS450h to improve 'round the doors' fuel economy from 26 up to nearer 36 (and save slightly on road tax, but funds will not allow yet. When I do go for the GS450h I will go for the SE-L model but make sure that it has the sunroof option as the GS450h SE-L does not come with sunroof, it is an option. Boot space can be an issue for some GS450h owners but I presonnaly think that the advantages outweigh the downside.

Note that the GS450h may save around 500 to 600 pounds a year in fuel and road tax over the GS300 depending upon exact year for each car.

I hope this helps.

The last 5000 miles of mixed driving (approx equal motorway/town/rural) I've had an average of 27mpg with my GS300 - this is actual figures BTW, not trip computer which considerably over estimates economy. Most of what I've heard indicates that the GS450H gives slightly better economy but probably not enough to justify selecting it on grounds of fuel cost - the extra power is a different matter however!