Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220D. Bad Mpg. Smoke & Smell From Exhaust.

TyroneVeron

Looking for good advice.

Currently driving a IS 220d. On 56 plate. Done 115,000 miles. Full service history and drives really well.

My reason for writing on here is because I am currently getting really bad MPG (24mpg) and White smoke coming from my exhaust that has a funny smell to it. The smoke is Every hour or something around that Mark.

I am using the car as a taxi In Sheffield and it's bleeding me dry in terms of wages.

I have tried premium vpower diesel and it hasn't made a but of difference apart from me being £7-8 out of pocket on each full up.

All advice and DIY walk thoughs are welcome. please please help.

There have been many problems with the 220d with Lexus replacing/rebuilding the engines. Have you checked your coolant levels, is there any oil in the coolant?

There have been cases of head gasket failure.

Hi white smoke normally means water, if it was the head gasket it would be constant white smoke, It could be you have a cracked head or block ( is the coolant bottle pressurising up)

I would get it looked at sooner rather than later as you will only do more damage driving it. ta Mark

Cheers peeps. I need to get it looked at. I'm going to take it to lexus and mention the EGR and DPF. I think it needs a software update as well cause it has been chipped. Very scared of the bill I'm going to receive of lexus though.

Hi white smoke normally means water, if it was the head gasket it would be constant white smoke

Cheers peeps. I need to get it looked at. I'm going to take it to lexus and mention the EGR and DPF. I think it needs a software update as well cause it has been chipped. Very scared of the bill I'm going to receive of lexus though.

I'm not an expert on diesel cars but I am a Truck fitter, on diesels white smoke is rarely a water problem, more usually an unburned fuel issue, in old mechanical injection engines could often be caused by 'slipped timing' but as we're talking about an electronically controlled system here, it's more likely to be an injection / fueling problem. Unburned fuel is emitted through the exhaust and leaves a very pungent smell that can make your eyes water, has the poor consumption been accompanied by a loss in performance, or is it still pulling well??

Ross.

Hi white smoke normally means water, if it was the head gasket it would be constant white smoke

I'm not an expert on diesel cars but I am a Truck fitter, on diesels white smoke is rarely a water problem, more usually an unburned fuel issue, in old mechanical injection engines could often be caused by 'slipped timing' but as we're talking about an electronically controlled system here, it's more likely to be an injection / fueling problem. Unburned fuel is emitted through the exhaust and leaves a very pungent smell that can make your eyes water, has the poor consumption been accompanied by a loss in performance, or is it still pulling well??

Ross.

nope it is a head gasket issue if you jump onto the toyota owners web site you'll see lots of this fault....i am a diagnostic tec for and have been for many years which use the same engine in all their big diesel cars...get it to lexus they extended the warranty for faults like this...you get a new engine now they dont rebuild them no more..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links