Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

I’m new to the club and am looking at buying a Lexus IS.

Could anyone tell me the difference between the Se spec and the Se-L spec as I cant seem to find it anywhere? I am looking for a Se-L MM but there doesn't seem to be many around for my budget, although I have found several Se's.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rim

I think you will find that the SE-L adds Xenons/HIDs, front and rear parking sensors, auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors, ventilated/air con'd front seats (as well as heated, as in the SE), illuminated 'Lexus' scuff plates when you open the front doors and an electrically operated rear sunblind. The seats, steering wheel and exterior mirrors enable you to choose up to three pre-selected/memorised and multi-adjusted positions (useful if your partner also drives it)and the steering wheel slides away when you switch off (and back of course to the memorised position when you switch back on). I am pretty sure that the SE has none of these gizmos, but others may confirm or deny that. I once had a loan car (was it a sport?) that had the xenons and auto dimming mirrors(and 18" wheels) but none of the other stuff that I can remember, and no leather.

SELs from the 2006/2007 period have 17" wheels, but I think that the most recent ones have 18". Again, not sure about that. I didn't think the 18s on my loan car ruined the ride as some big wheels do, but 18s will cost a lot more to replace when the time comes and 17s looks just fine on the car.

You can get a SE-L with sunroof. My first SEL had one (it was written off when hit by a spinning wreck from an accident in front of me)but most do not. You definitely want the SE-L mm for the Bluetooth, nav screen and rear camera etc, but i think the hi-fi is a bit overrated. Quite good for a car I suppose. Its worth paying for a sat nav update if you get the mm from a few years back

Mine is an auto and the auto box is sublime, with semi-auto option. Have not driven the manual but road tax on the manual is a lot more and some say the clutch is hard work. New models are auto only.

All OK except SE has both Heated and ventilated/airconditioned seats.

Having bought an SE, I do now feel I should have gone for the SE-L just because of the parking sensors. Parking this car with its limited rear view can be a bit of a problem without sensors.

I think you will find that the SE-L adds Xenons/HIDs, front and rear parking sensors, auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors, ventilated/air con'd front seats (as well as heated, as in the SE), illuminated 'Lexus' scuff plates when you open the front doors and an electrically operated rear sunblind. The seats, steering wheel and exterior mirrors enable you to choose up to three pre-selected/memorised and multi-adjusted positions (useful if your partner also drives it)and the steering wheel slides away when you switch off (and back of course to the memorised position when you switch back on). I am pretty sure that the SE has none of these gizmos, but others may confirm or deny that. I once had a loan car (was it a sport?) that had the xenons and auto dimming mirrors(and 18" wheels) but none of the other stuff that I can remember, and no leather.

SELs from the 2006/2007 period have 17" wheels, but I think that the most recent ones have 18". Again, not sure about that. I didn't think the 18s on my loan car ruined the ride as some big wheels do, but 18s will cost a lot more to replace when the time comes and 17s looks just fine on the car.

You can get a SE-L with sunroof. My first SEL had one (it was written off when hit by a spinning wreck from an accident in front of me)but most do not. You definitely want the SE-L mm for the bluetooth, nav screen and rear camera etc, but i think the hi-fi is a bit overrated. Quite good for a car I suppose. Its worth paying for a sat nav update if you get the mm from a few years back

Mine is an auto and the auto box is sublime, with semi-auto option. Have not driven the manual but road tax on the manual is a lot more and some say the clutch is hard work. New models are auto only.

ah, I stand corrected on the ventilated seats. I also forgot to mention that the SE-L has real wood veneer trim, although some don't like that because of the heavy layers of varnish/sealant that make it hard to tell whether it is real or not.

The front and rear parking sensors are useful anyway, but especially so if there is no reversing camera. The most valuable feature I think is the provision of HID lighting. Not because the dipped beams turn vey slightly with the steering wheel(you probably wouldn't notice that in normal driving anyway) but because of the good spread of light in front of you at all times.

Started out with a budget of around 10k, that’s now increased to 12k. But if I found a se-l in white with the SR kit on it I'd go up to 15k.

There isn't much options in terms of colours, that’s my main concern as there are plenty of nice examples in grey and silver, but I would prefer a colour that is slightly out of the ordinary.

i found a few on autotrader for that budget, some really nice ones, what yr and mileage you after? 1 have about £11k and im finding it fairly easy to find a 07 with about 40k on it. I agree about colour choice though, although i only like black cars anyway

Preferably, I'm after an 07 with around 40k on the clock. When I last checked there were only a few se-l's that have the MM pack also. But if you have found any I'd love to see them.

• 2 months later...

Hey bud,

I'm new to the forum too and got my IS250 about 6 months ago.

Reading this has confused me a little.. I know I don't have the SE L because I don't have any auto-dimming mirrors, but I have the heated/ac seats in penbroke leather and the front and rear parking sensors. The headlights are much brighter than any of my other cars - but I can't say for sure what they are (does anyone know how I could find out please?)

I went for the automatic as it's sublime, the MM package and the sunroof (sorry, 'moonroof'!)

it's an 07 plate with 33k on the clock when I bought her in April at 16k from a dealer.. some say I got ripped off, but I love her and don't regret it so *shrugs* how can I be?!

Cheers,

Brad

post-40967-0-61051700-1320523608.jpg

it's an 07 plate with 33k on the clock when I bought her in April at 16k from a dealer.. some say I got ripped off, but I love her and don't regret it so *shrugs* how can I be?!

You're forgetting the most important thing - looks like the ladies love it :hehe:

Spec - could be like with my last car (Focus ST170). I thought I was getting more toys with that one than I actually got because I got a model year without those toys. It's a different story with my CT, I keep finding toys or finding new facets to those toys B)

Hope you enjoy your IS :driving:

Brad, you definitely have an SE which has had optional front and rear parking sensors fitted. An SE-L or Sport model would have headlight washers and the Base model would not have leather which leaves the SE model.

16K for an 07 SE model is a lot, but as long as you are happy, that's the main thing plus, you have the reassurance of a dealer warrenty

Brad, you definitely have an SE which has had optional front and rear parking sensors fitted. An SE-L or Sport model would have headlight washers and the Base model would not have leather which leaves the SE model.

16K for an 07 SE model is a lot, but as long as you are happy, that's the main thing plus, you have the reassurance of a dealer warrenty

Definitely an SE with optional parking sensors - the SE-L only has 2 parking sensors on the front, yours has 4 :)

Price does seem a little steep even if it was a Lexus dealer but if you're happy with the car then what does it really matter!