Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, Ladies, Gents and forum members,

It's been bugging me for over a year: why can't I set the navigation system on my LS460 while the vehicle is in motion? I can't even do it if I'm the passenger!

I've seen various threads on other (inferior) forums on how to override this "safety" feature, but does the collective wisdom have any advice before I start top-left-bottom-left tapping my volume screen? see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLFDvaeT7NA.

I drive daily to any one of several preset points, far more than can be entered into the 5 favourites on the standard screen that you're allowed to see while rolling. And even that is a pain in the a**e as I struggle to remember which symbol represented which destination!

Advice most welome!

Best,

adi2tai.

Set the destination before you move off is my advice. That is why you can't do it on the move, Has about the same effect on your driving as texting.If you feel you can do either of these & keep your concentration 100% on the road, you are a much better driver than me,Sorry if my comments offend. My 2 pet hates are middle lane hogs(should be pulled to the side of the road & shot on the spot) & people veering into my lane texting or setting Tw-t navs. Im on the road 60 hours+ a week & its an all too frequent occurence.

Set the destination before you move off is my advice. That is why you can't do it on the move, Has about the same effect on your driving as texting.If you feel you can do either of these & keep your concentration 100% on the road, you are a much better driver than me,Sorry if my comments offend. My 2 pet hates are middle lane hogs(should be pulled to the side of the road & shot on the spot) & people veering into my lane texting or setting Tw-t navs. Im on the road 60 hours+ a week & its an all too frequent occurence.

I'm with you all the way on all your points on this one.

Mike

I'm with you all the way on all your points on this one.

Mike

Guys, you can set your destination on the move on every Satnav on the planet except this one. On the new model Lexuses (Lexii? Lexuss?)you use the little joystick and can set the destination as you drive. Just not on the older models. I'm not in the least offended by you, but I am offended by Lexus who seem to think that a select group of drivers of a particular model age and range should not have the flexibility that all other drivers have.

Yes, of course you can set the destination before you leave. But I'm human. Sometimes I forget. Or drop the kids off and then drive to work. Or I'm in the passenger seat. I accept that some users think it's a bad idea and that I can't multitask, but 35000m per year and so far so good... (I'm touching wood!)

Is there an override?

Cheers

....... middle lane hogs(should be pulled to the side of the road & shot on the spot) .........

Oh... Oh.... I'm with you on this one however...... I do feel your suggestion on the treatment of these offenders a little bit too......SOFT !!

I would rather see middle lane hogs pulled over to the side of the road, have their vehicle torched in front of them (maybe even have them forced at gunpoint to pour petrol over their own vehicle and strike the match)..... oh... and THEN shoot them !

....... middle lane hogs(should be pulled to the side of the road & shot on the spot) .........

I would rather see middle lane hogs pulled over to the side of the road, have their vehicle torched in front of them (maybe even have them forced at gunpoint to pour petrol over their own vehicle and strike the match)..... oh... and THEN shoot them !

Can't believe you lily-livered lot:

1: pulled over to side of road

2: forced to spray-paint "I am a middle-lane hog" in pink on the side of the vehicle

3: douse car in petrol

4: set it ablaze

5: douse self in petrol

6: set self ablaze.

Now, is there an over-beeping-ride?

It's been bugging me for over a year: why can't I set the navigation system on my LS460 while the vehicle is in motion? I can't even do it if I'm the passenger!

Hello.

Buy the latest satnav disc from Lexus. Since around 2009 the discs include an update to allow using the satnav whilst on the move.

Gents I appreciate everyone has their own thoughts/views on setting the satnav up on the move etc. But once one members has said the cons of it, lets just try and keep on topic, answer the question if we can and go from there. A separate thread can be created for driving no nos' and pet hates etc :winky:

Back on topic: As knitware mentioned, a new disc maybe worth enquiring after.

that doesn't work I'm afraid - at least not on the 2001 LS430. I had been LED to believe that as well as allowing setting it on the move, it also had postcode facility, but it doesn't. (2009 disc).

Mike

that doesn't work I'm afraid - at least not on the 2001 LS430. I had been led to believe that as well as allowing setting it on the move, it also had postcode facility, but it doesn't. (2009 disc).

Mike

Did you take it up with Lexus?

Yes but the dealership knew very little about the satnav, and Lexus seems to have outsourced the maps etc to a 3rd party who were pretty uncommunicative. It wasn't Lexus that had LED me to believe the new features were there so I can't criticise them really.

Mike

Yes but the dealership knew very little about the satnav, and Lexus seems to have outsourced the maps etc to a 3rd party who were pretty uncommunicative. It wasn't Lexus that had led me to believe the new features were there so I can't criticise them really.

Mike

The OP has an LS 460 so I'm assuming it's a newish car, 2006 on. The disks should update the unit to enable changing the route whilst on the move.

Hello,

I have a 2009/2010 disc in my 2001 430 and whilst I can not enter new destinations on the move, I can enter previous destinations. This is a help as if i am going to several places i just have a session of putting in the details and can then call them up as I go.

I would expect the 460 to have a more up to date system than mine so I agree with Knitware that a newer disc may be needed.

Pete

Lexus says, "No." There is no over-ride. There is no way to set the satnav while driving. Only the newer models allow this (09 onwards). And a new disc will not allow it, either.

Let's just take it as read that some disapprove of the very notion: any further ideas, anyone?

Lexus says, "No." There is no over-ride. There is no way to set the satnav while driving. Only the newer models allow this (09 onwards). And a new disc will not allow it, either.

Let's just take it as read that some disapprove of the very notion: any further ideas, anyone?

I guess that this just affects LS models then. When I updated the discs in 2009 for my 05 GS I was able to input new routes on the move to my hearts content.

No further ideas from me unless someone on here has an early LS460 who has recently bought discs and can answer this question for you>

Hello,

I have a 2009/2010 disc in my 2001 430 and whilst I can not enter new destinations on the move, I can enter previous destinations. This is a help as if i am going to several places i just have a session of putting in the details and can then call them up as I go.

I would expect the 460 to have a more up to date system than mine so I agree with Knitware that a newer disc may be needed.

Pete

Pete - don't suppose you got postcode entry facility did you. My car is a March 2001 and I think they were fitting several different versions of the satnav during 2001. By the way I have an intermittent problem on mine at the moment - Quite often it tells me to open the disc door and replace the disc

Mike

Hello,

Pete

Pete - don't suppose you got postcode entry facility did you. My car is a March 2001 and I think they were fitting several different versions of the satnav during 2001. By the way I have an intermittent problem on mine at the moment - Quite often it tells me to open the disc door and replace the disc

Mike

Mike - mine is april 2001 and no It won't do postcodes As i said just using previous destinations is a help to me, and i'm pleased to say I've never had a problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links