Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1997 Ls 400 Won't Rev Beyond 4000

Looking at the rust on that clamp it's been there for some time and you would have thought that a professional garage would have spotted something as obvious.

As for Lexus,I don't blame you,there is no need nowadays to remove a cylinder head to check inside the engine just remove the spark plugs and put a Boroscope in there, shows everything on a monitor screen.

Have you let the guys on LOC.com know the outcome?

Exactly, they must surely have a flow chart for this kind of thing and that should have involved checking basic stuff like fuel pressure. I'll be persuing it quite aggressively. They actually told me they would get to the bottom of it. Doesn't inspire much confidence does it?

I have posted up the results and photo on the USA and Canda forum.

• Like 1

Well Mate been sometime since I first read this problem with your car and had to log on and say that all along the car had no fault in the end.

Problem was man made by a dumd trainee doing a service earlier in its life.

Just proves that sometimes no service histroy or very little histroycan be a good thing as you know no one has been messing around with it(Hehe).

Glad it's now sorted.

And as I mentioned guys at Thor are top guys as my previous experience though the Jap Racing circles.

Happy new year.

Baz.

• 6 months later...

Update:

Straight through the MOT again yesterday, with no advisories. Since the last one (15,000 miles ago) it has had:

A new wiper blade

A home (done by me) service

All disks and pads replaced

A headlight bulb

Bonnet struts replaced.

• 11 months later...

Straight through the MOT again today, with no advisories, since the last one about 15,000 miles ago it has had:

Fuel Additive (VAG part number G001770A2) added (2x 90 ML to a full fuel tank)

Replacement LS 400 badge fitted (the other one was stolen)

Home serviced

All four wheels balanced

Pollen Filter cleaned

Power Steering coolant pipe repaired

Left Tail Light replaced

Home serviced again

Should get another year out of it.. current mileage is 192000.

LS 400's for the American market came OBDII compliant but LS400's for the European market were not made OBDII compliant. This was due to American marketing laws at the time. On our models you obtain the codes by bridging the respective terminals in the small 'diagnostic box' in the engine compartment or OBDII (look a like) terminal under the dash near the footwell. (You can use a large paper-clip for this).That's how you arrive at the flashing codes 21,27, or whatever. If you buy a generic OBDII reader, it will NOT work on a Lexus, unless it's a very expensive bit of kit. Having said that, there is some cheap Chinese software available that claims to read the OBDII port but, it wouldn't connect for me when my LPG guy tried it on my car. Lesson learned.

Nice to know there wasn't actually anything wrong with the car. It seems incredible that this old clamp was overlooked for so long. Shows you that some garages are more thorough than others, including Lexus stealerships.

• 4 months later...

Well it looks like it's still going 'strongish' after nearly 50,000 miles under my ownership.

I think I'm going to have to change it next year though, the cam belt change is well overdue and even though the car is running ok, it has a couple of dents in and I can't justify spending any more on it. ...Heater control lights are fading fast and the aerial needs a tap to get it to retract. Also I have noticed recently that when I floor the throttle, it still roars off as it should but tends to blow some smoke out the back, so I'm guessing the engine is past its best.

Hopefully it will last and the cam belt won't go TWANG (was last changed about 130,000 ago) until I find a replacement, which will probably not be an LS. Possibly a GS but I can't be sure.

Will keep you all posted.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know very little about the mechanical side of cars and I have to rely and trust garages.

I have read all the way through this thread - not fully understanding all the technical jargon - but what a story of persistence and patience. The good news was there was nothing wrong with the car - someone had left a fuel clamp on!

Brilliant - you guys on here are amazing - I take my hat off to you all - you show a REAL dedication to the mark!

• Like 1

hi does it have a mass air flow meter or air meter...as this might not show on eml...try a diagnostic check..

...Well this is the problem, the garage doesn't have a facility to run a diagnostic check on a Lexus. I have asked them to look into the CATs as the recovery guy was very sure this was the problem.

I don't really want to have to take it to a main dealer.

There is going to be a point where I have to bite the bullet and do that.

I am located in Northampton, is there a recomendation for a reasonably local solution with the diagnostics. I have been told that the Toyota dealer will not touch a Lexus. I have confidence in the local garage it is with now but the lack of a diagnostic check is slightly frustrating.

Have you tried Blue Streak Automotive? https://www.yell.com/biz/blue-streak-automotives-northampton-3308635/

Toyota independant who knows a lot about Lexus. He didn't have the correct equipment to hook my 1995 up but he has equipment suitable for later Lexus models. It would be worth ringing him in the first instance to make sure, though.

Nice guy.

EDIT - made mistake of not realising there were three pages to thread, and it's all been sorted. Please ignore me!

*shuffles off*

I can not offer 1UZ specific information but have had exactly the same symptoms before in another car. It was the TPS or throttle position switch.

That said, I have had 'ignition type' problems before and they can be difficult to solve quickly.