Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do I Clean Smoked Film?

Hi, I have that smoked film, I tried a small patch with spray glass cleaner it started to bubble a bit so I tried another small patch with water & washing up liquid, that started to bubble up as well, so, does anyone know what to use/do to clean this stuff? I pressume its something dry :crybaby: thanks

wet-n-dry sandpaper, 1500 grit then 2000 grit, after that use clear coat or just a polish it off.

Im surprised at that, I would have thought it would scratch it up, it seems like its only some kind of plastic film, thanks anyway.

When you say plastic film are we talking window tint here?

If so try googling "cleaning tinted windows" there are even videos on the subject, apparently cleaners containing ammonia are a no no.

I work with 40grit to 3000 on a daily basis and certainly wouldnt recommend using 1500/2000 on any sort of window tint. It would certainly dull the ssurface and at that grit would put very fine scratches in it. Would polish out easy enough with a mild abrasive polish but id be very afraid it would rub through the smoke coating leaving a uneven finish.

Surely very mild soapy water would be best as this is how their fitted. If you ,ean window tints lol

Steve

wet-n-dry sandpaper, 1500 grit then 2000 grit, after that use clear coat or just a polish it off.

What the .... is this advice?

Back on topic.

Do you need the tints? You could remove them and have the lovely glass back to OE and cleaning would be much simpler!

I've smoked my rear lamps this way, and tried to do fog lamps as well, but they all cracked, so then I used sandpaper to get them all of. And Yes, I assumed, topicpaster meant smoked light film, not tinted window film

Hi, yes I meant the smoked film for windows not lights,anyway I can see where I went wrong now -

If so try googling "cleaning tinted windows" there are even videos on the subject, apparently cleaners containing ammonia are a no no.

Yes there was loads of stuff on that search - I went wrong first with the window spray, its harsh & probably does have amonia in it but I also used washing up liguid on the second attempt.

The big emphasis on all the google search sites is a very soft cloth and be gentle with it, microfibre is sometimes recomended but they are all consistant about never useing anything other very soft cloths, I used the sponge side of those dishwashing pads & compared to whatsrecomended they are quite harsh sponge, that seems to have been a major suspect apart from the window cleaning spray.

I'll try just water & a soft cloth & see how I get on with a patch of that..thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links