Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 Is220D Engine/ Fuel Pump Fault

redbullaholic

Hi all

I've had my 08 220D sport for a year mow, and have 37k on the clock.

This evening on the way home from work the car started to faulter when I accelerated as if it was out of fuel (it was not). It seemed to run ok if i held the throttle in one position without acceloration, but the splutter came back when I pushed it down.

Car is upto date on it's service schedual, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Nick

Well I guess not an issue that crops up often due to lack of response...

The car is now on the back of an AA transporter winging it's way back to the Lexus dealer in Cardiff for a diagnostic check. I'll let you all know what Lexus say later.....

i have used millers dps4 until my 5ltr bottle ran out,whilst i waited for another special offer price to come along the months went by along with the miles and then one day my car suffered the same symptoms as yours but intermittently.the mechanic could not find fault at all although he suspected a fuel starvation problem.

anyway,i thought that it maybe that my injectors were clogged so i bought a small bottle of millers and put a double measure through the 1/4 tank of fuel in the car and within 5 miles the problem was gone never to reappear.i believe that the precise nature of the piezo injectors are reliant on regular cleaning through with premium grade diesel or injector cleaners such as millers.

My guess is the EGR valve is all gummed up and sticking, did you get loads of smoke from the exhaust when the problem occured?

Well the Lexus mechanics could not find a fault. I've done another 150 or so miles and no prob, then it started happening again tonight with a vengence.

I'll try some injector cleaner - if that fails, back to the dealers it goes.

Quick question - will a gummed up EGR Valve be fixable with a fuel additive?

Cheers

X

injector cleaner alone won't keep your egr clear.it will always require manual cleaning,i do mine at 5k intervals.

the aa recommend that a modern diesel be treated to every third tank of diesel be the premium type to avoid coking issues.

as said previously i use millers additive and have covered 85k without breakdown.

Update for you all...

the car totally cut out this evening and stopped on the M4 - back on the AA wagon!

The diagnostic tools picked up a fault with the Fuel Rail pressure valve.

So, hopefuly it'll all be resolved when it goes back to the dealers now they have a fault code to work with.

so, the word from Lexus Cardiff is a failed fuel valve.

Cost to fix - £470.00

Annoyingly the car came out of it's 3 year warranty at the end of July.

Makes you wonder if these things are on some kind of evil timer so they break just after cost liability passes to the consumer!!!

Cost to fix - £470.00

Makes you wonder if these things are on some kind of evil timer so they break just after cost liability passes to the consumer!!!

my car had the same problem it was a faulty fuel pump £1200 for the parts £600 for the labour ,i hope you have better luck than me.

Cost to fix - £470.00

my car had the same problem it was a faulty fuel pump £1200 for the parts £600 for the labour ,i hope you have better luck than me.

Afraid not....

Get this - picked car up today, and to be fair Lexus agreed to pick up the tab under good will. I drove the car less than a mile, same fault came back!

Lexus re-examined the car, this time they came up with a faulty EGR valve and also said the oil was being burnt.

Prognosis - entire new engine!!!!!

• 2 months later...

I've had an occasional problem with loss of power when accelerating hard in 2nd gear for some time now, but it's only every few weeks, so I haven't bothered about it. Yesterday the engine appeared to be "mis-firing" when climbing a hill in 6th at around 60mph. I don't think a diesel can "mis-fire" as such, can it ? I'm going to use a diesel injector cleaner as a first step.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an occasional problem with loss of power when accelerating hard in 2nd gear for some time now, but it's only every few weeks, so I haven't bothered about it. Yesterday the engine appeared to be "mis-firing" when climbing a hill in 6th at around 60mph. I don't think a diesel can "mis-fire" as such, can it ? I'm going to use a diesel injector cleaner as a first step.

Climbing a hill at 60 MPH in 6th, you must be joking, what were the engine revs ?, my car doesn't like 6th until at least 80 MPH on the level or down hill :crybaby:

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned a 220d for the last 3 years and the car has only done 27,000 miles, with a full lexus service history. It has just started to splutter a little, but wosre when cold. It seems to have hardly any power until 1,500 revs when the turbo kicks in. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to the main dealer, as i expect a hefty bill?

• 7 years later...
On 9/13/2011 at 7:21 PM, redbullaholic said:

Afraid not....

Get this - picked car up today, and to be fair Lexus agreed to pick up the tab under good will. I drove the car less than a mile, same fault came back!

Lexus re-examined the car, this time they came up with a faulty EGR valve and also said the oil was being burnt.

Prognosis - entire new engine!!!!!

Hi. Did you fix the problem?

That previous post was over 8 years ago! I suspect he ain't got the 220D anymore ( got fed up riding in an AA recovery truck I guess)

the Lexus Diesel engine variants have a infamous history of being very un-Lexus like in their reliability department!

paul m.

• 2 months later...