Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

80 MPH Speed Limit?

Steve

<p>Do you think we should have 80mph speed limits? France already has this?</p><p>Recently on french roads and that extra 10 mph makes a difference.</p>

But France also has lower limits in rain etc. which makes sense.

As Dave said other European countries adjust limits to road/weather conditions, plus there are certain sections of M-way where lorries/trailers/caravans can't overtake or in places even go in the 2nd lane on a 3 lane road, and I think unless they bring in those kind of rules here and drivers stick to them having a higher limit will just end up in more carnage.

Though I think the main fact why the limit shouldn't be upped here is down to the fact that the French/Germans/Dutch actually know how to use the road properly unlike 99% of the idiots on the m-way's here ;)

• 8 months later...

From the outset, I don't condone speeding at all.

I always check speedo's whenever I get a new car because they are usually inaccurate.

So I wasn't surprised to find that my IS220d was also inaccurate. When my speedo reads 70mph it was really only doing 65mph.

Calculating the exact speed of a car can be done on a motorway using the marker posts which are 100 metres apart.

Using the last digit of the number - ie; 2, travel at a constant speed of 70mph until you see the next marker post with 2 as the last digit on it, you will have travelled 1 kilometre. If your speedo is really accurate it would have taken you 31.95 seconds.

Please have a passenger to use the stopwatch not yourself while driving.

I accept no responsibility for this procedure or inaccuracies of the figures.

Please don't quote me in court if these figures are incorrect.

Colin

And let us not forget - 90% of the people in this country can't actually drive that well at all.

Take middle lane hoggers as an example - Just by their pig ignorance they effectively narrow 3 lane motorways down to two and therefore slow the flow of traffic.

I could go on, the list is endless - poor lane discipline on roundabouts for instance..... DOH !!!!..... You've got me started now !!! :megaangry: . Total failure to use indicators at junction - damn.... that was another one :whistling:

Anyway - In answer to you question, yes I DO think we should have an increased speed limit, but I also agree that everyone will then automatically drive at 90mph.

The Ed

I agree that there are too many awful drivers on the roads. And two of the things I HATE are middle lane hoggers and poor lane discipline.

Middle lane hoggers are oblivious of the actual highway code rule, or correct way to use a motorway/dual carriageway or generally just keeping left.

Don't get me started on lane discipline especially on larger roundabouts. The ones who sit in the left lane but are going right to exit 4 for example. Then you meet them as you are filtering over to leave at exit 2, they horn and up middle finger like you're wrong! Probably the same people who then hog lane 2! Idiots!!

Can you imagine these kind of drivers at 80+mph!

It's all down to educating the drivers that already have a licence, those that forget the rules of the road or those that just don't know.

But then what hope do you have if you can pass your test without any motorway tuition, then use one straight after passing your driving test! No hope!!

The current speed limit was introduced back in 1965, when drivers were not only limited by their skill but also by their vehicles.

Although I don't advocate 'speeding', I do believe an increase in the speed limit is long overdue.

So although drivers may not have progressed as we may have wished, vehicles on the other hand have evolved to a much higher level!

So should a motorway not have a higher speed limit?

The current speed limit was introduced back in 1965, when drivers were not only limited by their skill but also by their vehicles. Although I don't advocate 'speeding', I do believe an increase in the speed limit is long overdue. So although drivers may not have progressed as we may have wished, vehicles on the other hand have evolved to a much higher level! So should a motorway not have a higher speed limit?

I disagree about skill levels being lower, very few cars had power steering or disc brakes, steering wasn't normally rack and pinion, so loads of play, brakes were often unassisted still, and needed regular manual adjustment even to perform at much lower standards than modern cars.

Tyres were mostly cross ply and cars were mostly rear wheel drive, an entertaining mix in wet or icy conditions, requiring a degree of skill todays motorist mostly doesn't need or possess.

Modern cars drive themselves by comparison, and frankly 70 mph on motorways is boring in normal conditions, I think 80/90 keeps you more alert, assuming suitable conditions of course.

Middle lane hoggers should be shot.

Absolutely agree!! The number of times I have overtaken a middle laner, got myself back into the inside lane, driven a few miles, look in the mirror and, nothing else behind me other than the PITA still hogging the middle lane!

Absolutely agree!! The number of times I have overtaken a middle laner, got myself back into the inside lane, driven a few miles, look in the mirror and, nothing else behind me other than the PITA still hogging the middle lane!

And that is exactly why they should introduce legal overtaking on the inside as they have in the States! Of course for the majority of idiots on our roads this would blow their minds and people don't check their mirrors anyway so it would probably cause carnage!

(They should also introduce being able to turn left on a red light as well)

Both of the above would alieviate traffic congestion at NO COST to the government !!

From the outset, I don't condone speeding at all.

I always check speedo's whenever I get a new car because they are usually inaccurate.

So I wasn't surprised to find that my IS220d was also inaccurate. When my speedo reads 70mph it was really only doing 65mph.

Calculating the exact speed of a car can be done on a motorway using the marker posts which are 100 metres apart.

Using the last digit of the number - ie; 2, travel at a constant speed of 70mph until you see the next marker post with 2 as the last digit on it, you will have travelled 1 kilometre. If your speedo is really accurate it would have taken you 31.95 seconds.

Please have a passenger to use the stopwatch not yourself while driving.

I accept no responsibility for this procedure or inaccuracies of the figures.

Please don't quote me in court if these figures are incorrect.

Colin

The speedo is purposely set to read over in the UK. If you look at Toyota/Lexus service manuals it will state the speedo is faulty if it reads 70 at 70. In America and Australia the speedos are much more accurate but could end up reading slightly under.

You do need to be somewhat careful if you are taking into account the inaccuracy, your tyre tread going from 8mm down to 2mm will introduce a couple of MPH difference at motorway speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Speed on motorways is relative to other vehicles travelling at lower speeds.

If a truck travelling at 50mph or slower going uphill, a car following doing 90mph overtaking another car doing 80mph do you think the difference of speed could be more dangerous than speed itself.

There is no wonder why there is an automatic license ban for speedsters doing 100mph.

If all vehicles travelled at the same speed there should be no danger of everyone doing 90mph. Unfortunately there is always someone travelling very slowly. Which is why there is a 70mph limit.