Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi!

I just bought a '92 LS400, and certain bits aren't functioning as they should. I've been searching the various forums for this but I still have some issues, was hoping someone could gimme some advice :unsure::blink:

firstly the antenna doesn’t go up or down any longer automatically. I had this problem on my Jag and there all it needed was a new antenna bit fitted, I understand the same goes for the Lex but where would I get the parts from?

There's plenty of second hand parts dealers for Jag bit but I can’t find any for Lexus parts. Or will a Jag antenna possibly fit?

Secondly I think the brake discs at the front are warped as the car's shuddering when driving over 50 and braking isn't exactly smooth, how much will it cost me to get it fixed and is it just new brake discs I need?

Thirdly the display for the clock and climate control' isn’t working, I read on the US forum they're doing a group purchase for them, is there any chance LOC uk will do something similar? or can I get them from somewhere else?

Last but not least, the switch to release the flap covering the petrol cap no longer works, any ideas on how to fix this??

Thank you very much!

:D

Thirdly the display for the clock and climate control' isnt working, I read on the US forum they're doing a group purchase for them, is there any change LOC will do something similar? or can I get them from somewhere else?

Might be cheapest to try and join the US group buy. I assume the unit is compatible? One member who live in the States, Advance, has kindly offered to assist with shipping etc to people in the UK.

Is your fuel flap stuck open or closed?

MY GS mk2 stuck open once after being left at airport for 10 days... it came back into play while on way to dealership to enquire as to a fix... hope you have a manual overide. my old XJ40 did that once, had to open the boot every time you wanted to fill...

Loz

Thanks guys!

might have to join in with them yes, it's not really urgent at the mo, more concerned about my brake discs! :)

the fluel flap is working fine, the guy who sold it to me said it wasn't working but i've just checked it with a friend and it's working fine, so one less problem already! :D

one thing I might be tempted to do is get the same type of tyre on each axle. its has gotta be more stable as when you brake and accelerate you have to diferent messages going to the tarmac at the moment. swap your wheels round so you have the two different types on the same axle just for safety's sake....

ANd enjoy the drive.

Loz :zee:

just to add to the point above - I had exactly the same problem, It felt worse were you rest your left foot - a real annoying "judder" when going over 60 / 65

I was told is was the discs and replaced them - it still did it with new discs.

When it went for an MOT - the guy told me it was the steering joints, so I had em replaced "WHAT A DIFFERENCE" it made, feals like a new car again. :D

Thanks guys :excl :D

might be worth looking into getting the steering joints replaced then, can you guys gimme some indication as to what the costs are to get them replaced :question:

went to national tyre to get them balanced and all that, they said tyres are looking ok and the fact they're from a different make shouldnt make much difference, and that the brake discs and pads seemed ok still :)

so i went home after they did the balancing, things feel much better now but there's still shuddering when braking, and I can hear an intermittent high pitched sound coming from the right front when I drive slowly with the windows open which is only there when the car's moving. When I came back home I sprayed some WD-40 on the brake shoes and the right front one was the only one that had a whole load of steam coming off! :ohmy::excl:

So i'm guessing that means the brake discs warped afterall?

YOU SPRAYED WD-40 ON THE BRAKES :excl:

NO NO NO.......do not drive the car. :excl: get them cleaned, and fit new pads!!

i suspect you have a sticking caliper....thats why all the heat is generated and the squeeling

:huh: :duh: :crybaby::unsure::blush: guess that's a big no no then?? hey noone said I know stuff about cars, I used to own a Jag for gods sake! :winky:

not on the brakes themselves, more on the calipers, thought that might unstick them or something. guess there's nothing else to do now but get them to a garage and replaced. ah well as long's that's the only thing that needs repairing for a couple of months I'm happy! :D

thnx for the advice!

On your antenna not retracting problem, I recently bought a 93 LS 400 and it had that same problem. The antenna mast was "kinked" near the bottom under the chrome bezel so you couldn't see it at first. The antenna is raised and lowered by a flexible nylon "toothed" rod that goes up and down inside the antenna mast. The nylon toothed rod is coiled up inside a round gearbox on the antenna base in the trunk. I purchased a new mast from Lexus of St. Louis, Mo for about $60 and repaired the antenna myself. On my antenna, when it tried to retract, it bound up because of the kink and the retract motor snapped the flexible nylon rod, leaving most of it coiled up inside the round plastic gearbox. I had to remove and disassemble the antenna gearbox to remove the bottom part of the nylon rod that was coiled up inside. Once that was done, it was just a matter of feeding the new antenna mast into the antenna base with the retract motor running in the retract direction. The Lexus repair manuals go into some detail on how to do this. Good luck.

Curt

Thanks m8 :excl:

I'll go to Lexus Chester to ask how much a mast'll be from them, should be around £40 then. I've changed the antenna on my Jag before once which was a similar process so I should be ok doing it myself :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links