Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Overfilled - Do I Need To Panic?

Hi Everyone

Yesterday, I got an oil maintenance required warning, checked the oil level and it was VERY low (a good 2cm below the bottom mark!)

I got myself straight to a car factors sales place, got the correct oil (5w30 fully synth) and topped it up a little at a time, checking with the dipstick regularly between each topup, until the level was close to the top dot on the dipstick.

However, I re-checked it again this morning, and the oil level is showing at around 1cm above the top mark on the dipstick.

Is this anything I should be worried about?

At the level the car seems to be using oil (from it's last service), I'd guess this amount would be used up in about two months

At the level it was, and how much I needed to put in (2 liters) I would guess it's perhaps about 500ml over where it should be

Is the car safe to drive at this level?

Do I need to get some oil drained out?

If so, how easy is it to do this myself?

Thanks for any help!

are you standing on a flat surface? Or you weren't standing on flat surface when topping?

In general, too much of oil will stress the oil pump and engine sealings. One 1cm over the dipstick is about 1/2 litre which is quite a lot but with my knowledge I am not able to say whether it is risky to leave it as it is or not.

The easiest to do is to suck the oil. Some garages do not drain the oil, but suck it.

Hi Matus,

How do you suck the oil out? I have just done the same thing!!! doh!

Col

are you standing on a flat surface? Or you weren't standing on flat surface when topping?

In general, too much of oil will stress the oil pump and engine sealings. One 1cm over the dipstick is about 1/2 litre which is quite a lot but with my knowledge I am not able to say whether it is risky to leave it as it is or not.

The easiest to do is to suck the oil. Some garages do not drain the oil, but suck it.

garages have professional tool for that.

what you can do at home, you can buy larger syringe and small rubber hose and suck it with it. (either through filling hole or dipstick hole)

syringe.jpg

Thanks Matus. Have a good weekend.

Col

garages have professional tool for that.

what you can do at home, you can buy larger syringe and small rubber hose and suck it with it. (either through filling hole or dipstick hole)

syringe.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Big-Large-100ml-Syringe-PVC-Suction-Feed-Tube-/250850800056?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3a67df71b8

looks like a possible answer!

Anyone know if 70cm tube is long enough, and if 8mm diameter is too wide? (it says 5mm internal diameter, which would mean an 8mm outer diameter tube)

I just ordered one and should be here tomorrow. (sat). Doesn't matter if the diameter is too big for dipstick hole as you can stuff it down the oil filler hole.

Col :hehe:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a67df71b8

Anyone know if 70cm tube is long enough, and if 8mm diameter is too wide? (it says 5mm internal diameter, which would mean an 8mm outer diameter tube)

The only time an over fill is a problem is if it is significant enough for the crank to start hitting the oil as it spins. I would not expect 1cm to cause that problem so you should be fine. Car manufacturers are pretty good at leaving decent tolerances for errors by home mechanics.

I've no idea how a slight overfil would stress an oil pump, or indeed stress seals.

I've no idea how a slight overfil would stress an oil pump, or indeed stress seals.

The question is, what is slight and what is significant.

Manufacturer claims in the owners manual to not overfill...

sucked 350ml out this morning anyway, just to be safe - have left it slightly below the top dot on the dipstick, and only drove about 5 miles with it overfilled, so there seem to be no bad effects!

thanks for everyones help!

these oil extractors are quite good for doing your own servicing,

but beaware they will not remove ALL the crud that settles at the very bottom of the sump

didnt matter when using it on my old tdi galaxy,because as soon as you started it the oil was black

but if using it with petrol cars would think it matters quite a lot?

:whistling: :whistling: Well it came!!! bummer,the tube is just too big in diameter to fit down the dipstick hole, and, can't get it down the oil filler hole as it seems t have a restrictor plate which only allows oil fill. Now have to go and get a thinner tube...

I just ordered one and should be here tomorrow. (sat). Doesn't matter if the diameter is too big for dipstick hole as you can stuff it down the oil filler hole.

Col :hehe:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a67df71b8

The manual will tell you not to overfill, as would a speed sign state not to exceed the limit.

The truth is, manufacturers these days tolerate margin for errors. Fuel tank, oil tank, master cylinder etc. The marks are there for factory requirements and as a precaution, they are not there to imply danger by excess.

Sure, my brake fluid, coolant, engine oil all sit on the mark. But that's just pure measuring chance! I've never aimed to be accurate, rather I've aimed for the mark more or less. But more is better than less :-)

colbecoz - oh - bad luck - I bought the one with the two diameters of tubes, and the thinner one fitted fine.

To compensate money with time, get under the car and unscrew the oil tank (not entirely) until it drips. Let it drip until you feel it's appropriate.

Long winded, I know. But by far better than hunting down tubes an syringes!

colbecoz - oh - bad luck - I bought the one with the two diameters of tubes, and the thinner one fitted fine.

To compensate money with time, get under the car and unscrew the oil tank (not entirely) until it drips.

I am doing oil changes by myself, on motorbikes too, and my experience is that it drips VERY slowly until the last thread. And when you remove the screw it is difficult to put it back while oil flows out at full speed.

Therefore I recommend syringe.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links