Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bouncing Rx

No absolutely not but I have had Mercedes since 1973 and my wife previously has had 5 E class estates and thought she would try something different with the Lexus. Fortunately I didn't change and I have a Mercedes. The difference usin the service department between the two companies is quite surprising. As I spend a lot with maintenance each year (we both do high mileage) then we are good judges as to how we are looked after regarding servicing. If Lexus had checked this RX as I requested when I took it to them for the service then I could have claimed this work about to be undertaken within the guarantee period.

I am curious because your experience is totally different from my experience with Lexus and Woodford in particular.

1) Did you buy this car from a Lexus dealer if so they normally come with a 12mth warranty. (http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/approved-preowned-benefits.aspx)

2) Regardless of this if you bought it from a trader as opposed to private then the goods must be of serviceable quality and you should be able to show that the suspension was bad in the beginning especially if you had mentioned it specifically to the dealer. The dealer should also be able to provide the dates of the warnings and if they pre-date the sale then I don't see that they have a leg to stand on.

3) If I have a warranty then personally I make every effort to get all niggles cleared before it ends. Mine went into woodford at 3yrs for its last service before expiration with a typed sheet of 15 points all of which were resolved.

4) If my brothers and fathers experience with MB are anything to go by I am thankful that I have a Lexus. My brothers experience with a 6yr old e class estate has been frightening in the number of faults he has had all of which appear to be common to the model. He has been off the road for over 6mths awaiting spares in the last year.

5) If you dont like your nearest dealer why not try the next nearest. Most dealers overlap for collection/delivery. Woodford isn't my nearest but so far they have been impeccable so I have stayed with them and given enough notice they will always collect/deliver FOC.

6) Is this a SEL ie air suspension if not then £1700 appears to be rather a large amount given that http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/lexuscare/service-your-lexus/fixed-price-promise.aspx appears to suggest that it is only £700 to replace front and rear shocks. If it is a SEL then I would get a 2nd opinion as the forum is rife with stories of dealers who have misdiagnosed problems with air suspension. It would really help if you stated what they had diagnosed.

7) Am really surprised that you have been charged £400 to diagnose a problem - have never been charged in my life by a main dealer of any marque to diagnose a fault let alone over 3hrs worth of labour.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Lexus fans. Sorry but you were all wrong and I have been proved right. My wife took my Lexus to an independent Toyota Lexus workshop. Leaving the car she said "the suspension doesn't seem right" They phoned two hours later and reported:- "On taking the car from reception to workshop we knew the suspension was wrong as it didn’t drive properly.The car, when stationary is two inches lower than what it should be. None of the 4 suspension green warning lights situated in the Rev counter dial light up when the ignition is switched on. Nor are any suspension lights on with the engine running" That was before the car was put on a ramp. "Once inspected the ECU unit that runs the suspension was missing altogether". They ordered a new ECU unit and the next day fitted it. All 12 of the faults shown before were then absent from the previous diagnostic check. The suspension then performed perfectly. When the ignition is switched on 4 green lights come on in the Rev Counter dial. When driving the normal height and ride level lights are constantly on. The car is great and we will keep it. This garage charged me £761 whereas the official Lexus garage that had already charged me £430.00 to inspect and tell me the ECU was missing then quoted a further £1,750 plus VAT to rectify. Please bear in mind that the Lexus dealer had worked on the car twice before, their mechanics (sorry, technicians) had driven the car from their customer car park to their workshop on another part of the industrial area on four occasions and yet had not noticed that no suspension lights came on with the ignition or during driving, the car was lower than it should have been and it didn't drive right.

This level of service is, you must all agree is totally unacceptable and I am claiming my losses back from them. Had this been detected when I first asked for a full service and thorough check then the dealer I bought the car from would have paid for this.

In conclusion. This car is terrific and we when we replace it, it will be for a newer RX. I will not under any circumstances have any works carried out by an official Lexus dealership again.

P.S. The Lexus dealership was NOT the Woodford branch

Quite a story! I do think you have either been very unlucky or badly treated. I have nothing but praise for my Lexus dealer in Cheltenham where I purchased my RX400 and have had it serviced since. Nothing but polite and competent service at all times. Including collection and return of the car. I did originally buy a second hand RX300h and after 6 weeks exchanged it for a RX400h because I found the ride in the 300 too soft and wallowed and it made me feel slightly car sick. There was thing wrong with the suspension (standard struts, I just did not like the ride. The added weight of the batteries seem to give the 400 a firmer ride. I have test driven the 450 with air suspension but can't justify the cost! Also a trade in offer of £9k for a 55 plate 400 with only 33K miles in perfect condition seemed a bit mean!

The RX was bought from an independent car dealer in Manchester neither a Toyota or Lexus dealer. This is why part of agreement to purchase was that it was booked into my local Lexus workshop to have a full service and thorough check over. Any faults found were to be paid by the car dealer in Manchester.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links