Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Refurbishment-Differences!

whysub

I recently purchased a set of 5 LS430 wheels to go on my LS400 whilst I get the DHP wheels I have on it refurbished.

Had a look around google and found the actual process of refurbishment isn't the same. Found a lot of services (including mobile) simply move the tyre away from the outer rim, blast the wheel face and then prime and paint the face. Most charge around £50 per wheel (one or two much more expensive).

I then found a place that offers a drive in/drive out service (though you have to leave the car with them for a couple of days-they have secure storage). Tyres removed, wheels acid dipped to remove all paint and lacqeur, then kerbing repaired where necessary before being powder coated, then primed and resprayed. new valves are fitted, tyres refitted and wheels balanced. Been quoted £45 per wheel for this service-so much more that a repaint for the same money, so getting one set done next week.

Only thing is, do I refurb the 430 wheels (which have excellent tyres)or the DHP wheels (with poor tyres)? Both wheels suit the car but can't decide which ones to do and keep, and which set to sell!

45 quid a wheel for all of that,that sounds very resonable.

whats the name of the company?

spit and polish apparently do the same sort of service but i havnt enquired on how much they charge.

• 2 weeks later...

The company is J.P.Polishing on Charfleets Industrial Estate, Canvey Island, Essex. Took the 430 wheels to the company today and was very impressed with what I saw. The owner (John) looked at each wheel in detail and told me what he would do to each. he also commented that one wheel had been refirbed before, but not very well. looked good to me! The company seems to be very busy and at those prices I am not surprised.

He has a website too www.jppolishing.co.uk

As soon as they are done i'll post up some before and after photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my is200 17"s refurbed by John a few months back... Honestly the job he did was awesome and I even felt guilty when I went back a few weeks later to tell him I had scuffed some of his good work up. Not the best picture in the world, but...

439b124f.jpg

Picked my up today-absolutely beautiful job-and one that will last. All the kerbing had been ground of, alloy welded and then reshaped. They honestly look like new wheels. They have also been bal;anced so it's simply a matter of putting them on now.

John did tell me that (in his opinion) Lexus use a poorer grade alloy than other manufacturers, hence they tendency for the paint to blister and peel (cetainly on the LS 400's and 430's).

I'll post some photos up here soon, but they won't do the wheels justice.

Another plug for john via his web site www.jppolishing.co.uk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links