Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LS400 currently has the 17 inch DHP wheels fitted, but recently I purchased a set of five LS430 six spoke wheels for a price I couldn't refuse-one wheel has never been used). I really can't decide which suit my car-and will have to sell the set I don't refurbish (although presentable, both sets could do with being refurbished).

Has any one fitted these 430 wheels to a 400?

06082011250.jpg

Or keep these on?

DroppedI030310.jpg

DHP all the way. I have mine diamond cut around the rim and I think they look the business!

Any photos of the diamond cut DHP's? Still not sure what ones to refurb and fit.

I have had a look around various image sites and think they maybe GS430 wheels as I have not found an image of an LS wearing these.

Took the 430 wheels over to the refurbishers today-they have good tyres on them, whereas the DHP wheels will need tyres very soon.

The refurbisher will remove the tyres, acid dip them, repair any kerbing marks and dinks, powder coat them, spray in proper wheel paint, and laquer them for £45 per wheel.

I'll post up photos of them upon completion-should be ready in a few days!

Sorry, been away for a few days. Here is the link to some pictures with the diamond cut edge. The pictures are not very good as I was not focusing particularly on the wheels!

Good luck with the 430 wheels! Sounds like a good price.

Lexus LS 400

Sorry, been away for a few days. Here is the link to some pictures with the diamond cut edge. The pictures are not very good as I was not focusing particularly on the wheels!

Good luck with the 430 wheels! Sounds like a good price.

Lexus LS 400

Thanks-one photo clearly shows the cut and polished rim. Once I get the 430 wheels back and on the car (hopefully I'll like them!) I'll have a look at what I can do with the DHP wheels. They aren't bad condition (usually Lexus bubbling and flaking) so may see what I can do myself.

Interestingly the refurbisher said that Toyota and Lexus seem to use a poorer quality alloy than most other manafacturers, hence the look of the wheel after a few years. I think he is right-I had a 1987 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi130 where the wheels were as good as new after 11 years and 180,000 miles.

Good stuff. Interesting about the Toyota/Lexus alloys. I think the refurbisher has a point as well. My DHP alloys have been done more than any of my other cars despite me doing my best to look after them the best I can!

Having said that, the Lexus is the one that needs the least amount of maintenance – not a surprise, of course! She is still the flagship of the fleet!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to collect the wheels today, and all I can say is the fimnish on the wheels has surpassed even my expectations. The wheels look better than new-when he took one out in the sunlight the finish looks a foot deep!

I was told the process went well, tyres off and then acid dipped. When the paint was off, the wheels were checked and were found to be true. It was seen that the last refurbishers had used too coarse a grit when blasting them which didn't give a great finish. This company uses a fine grit which obtains a smoother finish for the powdercoat to adhere to.

Although three wheels were good, 2 had severe kerbing to them, and a couple had deep gouges on the face. All of the kerbing and gouges was ground out, filled with alloy weld , and machined back to shape. I have inspected every one and they are perfect.

The wheels were then powder coated, and then sprayed with wheel (not body) paint and then laquered. Tyres then refitted and the wheels all balanced.

All for £45 per wheel.They truely look superb-photos as soon as I get time!

• 3 weeks later...

And at last, photos of my car with the newly refurbed wheels on.

23102011461.jpg

23102011458.jpg

They have 45 ratio tyres on and not the 55's of my DHP wheels, so don't quite fill the arches quite as much, and the rider is a little bit different, but as they are near new tyres, I'll have to keep them.

Or I could buy new 55 ration tyres to fit these, and put the 45's on my DHP wheels............

I think i'll be selling the DHP's.

The company I used was JP Polishing in Canvey Island, Essex. So pleased with the work they did i am having some bits for my motorbikes stove enamelled, and the wheels on my Fireblade stoved and repainted.

see www.jppolishing.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...