Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So as we all know snow will no doubt fall, and cause havoc, salt will run dry and no one will be prepared. This is my first time driving the Lexus in the snow, and RWD for that matter. I'm looking to invest in some weights in the boot, some snow socks, shovel and grit ;) I'm not planning to put winter tyres on and my run to work is around 20miles fairly flat and only the odd hill. Does this sound enough preparation, I know your probably say get a bus pass but I will at a last resort, use the train. Rather do this now before its too late tough to get hold of them and they hike the prices.

So as we all know snow will no doubt fall, and cause havoc, salt will run dry and no one will be prepared. This is my first time driving the Lexus in the snow, and RWD for that matter. I'm looking to invest in some weights in the boot, some snow socks, shovel and grit ;) I'm not planning to put winter tyres on and my run to work is around 20miles fairly flat and only the odd hill. Does this sound enough preparation, I know your probably say get a bus pass but I will at a last resort, use the train. Rather do this now before its too late tough to get hold of them and they hike the prices.

See recent thread http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=74371

I have been persuaded to fit winter tyres - wont drive my rear wheel drive IS220d in the snow again - it was an absolute nightmare!!

Last winter was my first with the Lexus and to be honest it wasn't too much of a problem as I rarely go long journeys in snow but the car did everything OK even with normal tyres. The diesel will move off quite happily without even touching the accelerator and as long as you are careful the car will go where you want it to. In fact I found it better than the Avensis in winter conditions. The biggest problem isn't the Lexus but the way other people drive! :ohmy: I'm far more scared of being clobbered by them than I am of hitting anything or getting stuck.

There are generations now who have never had to make their way to work in a rear wheel drive like a cart spring Marina so they simply don't have the feel for it - you drive through the seat of your pants in snow and ice.

Last winter was my first with the Lexus and to be honest it wasn't too much of a problem as I rarely go long journeys in snow but the car did everything OK even with normal tyres. The diesel will move off quite happily without even touching the accelerator and as long as you are careful the car will go where you want it to. In fact I found it better than the Avensis in winter conditions. The biggest problem isn't the Lexus but the way other people drive! :ohmy: I'm far more scared of being clobbered by them than I am of hitting anything or getting stuck.

There are generations now who have never had to make their way to work in a rear wheel drive like a cart spring Marina so they simply don't have the feel for it - you drive through the seat of your pants in snow and ice.

Desmond I have to totally disagree!

My ex husband is an advanced driver and has a Toyota Avensis. I am also a trained driver for my job and have the Lexus IS220d.

Last winter in that terrible snow, my Lexus wouldnt grip a thing - even with my ex driving it whilst the Avensis was much much better - in fact I used it for three days because I couldnt get the Lexus to move. There are many on this forum who had exactly the same problem. It's nothing to do with driving - if it wont move through 12 inches of snow it wont move. :blink:

I am taking advice which I have partly gained from here and fitting winter tyres to my Lexus - it will make me AND the car safer

My ex husband is an advanced driver and has a Toyota Avensis. I am also a trained driver for my job and have the Lexus IS220d.

Last winter in that terrible snow, my Lexus wouldnt grip a thing - even with my ex driving it whilst the Avensis was much much better - in fact I used it for three days because I couldnt get the Lexus to move. There are many on this forum who had exactly the same problem. It's nothing to do with driving - if it wont move through 12 inches of snow it wont move. :blink:

I am taking advice which I have partly gained from here and fitting winter tyres to my Lexus - it will make me AND the car safer

Hi SAD!

I wouldn't argue with you about the merits of winter tyres, certainly they will make a big difference and anyone needing to do decent mileage in thick snow will benefit. Wise decision! :)

Personally I don't do a lot of miles now I'm retired and my winter motoring is mainly short urban stuff but I do live at the wrong end of a half mile straight, untreated, dead end which I have to go down every time I go out. None of my Avensises coped terribly well with this especially if it was icy on top. Maybe this is due to the light body, I don't know, but the grip was poor and back end had a mind of its own. Braking was a lottery.

The Lexus was a lot more stable on ice (I didn't try it in more than 6" of snow though!) as I just let it drive itself down the street. The bloke across the road in his Subaru did it better but the one with the Focus struggled and the one with the BMW 320 gave up the ghost. His motor was stuck outside my house for over a week. :P It was my first winter with the Lexus and I'm just saying it was rather better than I expected from reading reports on here.

I wouldn't cast aspersions on drivers though, just pointing out that those who have grown up on FWD and instructors who tell them to use brakes and not the gears to slow the car are maybe at a disadvantage. Times were admittedly different but I commuted from Huddersfield to Harrogate in the late 60s/early 70s in a Wolseley 1500 and a Marina van, in snow similar to last winter, up hill and down dale. We all did it and people seemed to have more idea about how to keep a car moving because they were taught how to do it and had to do it. The only 4WD was a Land Rover (or Range Rover for the posh). A lot of family cars and nearly all commercials were still RWD.

I'm thinking about winter tyres too though. :D

Hi SAD!

I wouldn't argue with you about the merits of winter tyres, certainly they will make a big difference and anyone needing to do decent mileage in thick snow will benefit. Wise decision! :)

Personally I don't do a lot of miles now I'm retired and my winter motoring is mainly short urban stuff but I do live at the wrong end of a half mile straight, untreated, dead end which I have to go down every time I go out. None of my Avensises coped terribly well with this especially if it was icy on top. Maybe this is due to the light body, I don't know, but the grip was poor and back end had a mind of its own. Braking was a lottery.

The Lexus was a lot more stable on ice (I didn't try it in more than 6" of snow though!) as I just let it drive itself down the street. The bloke across the road in his Subaru did it better but the one with the Focus struggled and the one with the BMW 320 gave up the ghost. His motor was stuck outside my house for over a week. :P It was my first winter with the Lexus and I'm just saying it was rather better than I expected from reading reports on here.

I wouldn't cast aspersions on drivers though, just pointing out that those who have grown up on FWD and instructors who tell them to use brakes and not the gears to slow the car are maybe at a disadvantage. Times were admittedly different but I commuted from Huddersfield to Harrogate in the late 60s/early 70s in a Wolseley 1500 and a Marina van, in snow similar to last winter, up hill and down dale. We all did it and people seemed to have more idea about how to keep a car moving because they were taught how to do it and had to do it. The only 4WD was a Land Rover (or Range Rover for the posh). A lot of family cars and nearly all commercials were still RWD.

I'm thinking about winter tyres too though. :D

Desmond

Thanks for the reply. I am so jealous that you are retired and dont do a lot of miles!!. I have a horse and each winter rise at 5am to see to her so need a reliable vehicle (which the Lexus is supposed to be)

I take your point about driving in the "old days" and being thorough although my grandad who never took a test was a terrible driver!!.

Your lucky to have driven a Wolseley but the Marina's were not known for being very safe (in fact my step-father had a serious accident in one!)

Cars are so much more complex these days what with ABS/traction control etc and the Lexus is not such a common vehicle (as opposed to say a Ford etc). I must admit when I bought it it didnt occur to me that the rear wheel drive would give me so much of a headache.

By the way I have plumped for Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres - and a bag of sand in the boot!!! :blink:

We have a set of Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres on a spare set of IS250 17" rims that go on the IS200 Sport when the temperature drops below 7 degrees or less on a regular basis. Last winter I actually drove past a Landrover Freelander that was stuck on an icy hill here in rural Gloucestershire. The Freelander must have been on summer tyres and the look on its drivers face as I sailed past would have been worth a picture :lol: .

I lived in Norway for a couple of years and before I could drive there it was the policy of my Company to put us through the same skidpan and winter driving courses that the Norwegians do, so I know how to drive on ice and snow, but really there's no substitute for using the right tyre for the conditions.

As the winter rims and tyres will not fit the IS-F it stays in the garage throughout the winter until conditions are such that it is safe to drive. 417 bhp driving through summer tyres is a recipe for disaster when the temperatures drop :blink: .

Desmond

Thanks for the reply. I am so jealous that you are retired and dont do a lot of miles!!. I have a horse and each winter rise at 5am to see to her so need a reliable vehicle (which the Lexus is supposed to be)

I take your point about driving in the "old days" and being thorough although my grandad who never took a test was a terrible driver!!.

Your lucky to have driven a Wolseley but the Marina's were not known for being very safe (in fact my step-father had a serious accident in one!)

Cars are so much more complex these days what with ABS/traction control etc and the Lexus is not such a common vehicle (as opposed to say a Ford etc). I must admit when I bought it it didnt occur to me that the rear wheel drive would give me so much of a headache.

By the way I have plumped for Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres - and a bag of sand in the boot!!! :blink:

Hi SAD

Thanks for the hint on the tyres. Did you get them through the dealer & what have you done about storage of the summer tyres? Some poster have said they can get them stored for a fee and I'd have to investigate that.

You are right about the Marina by the way. It was lethal in the wet. In snow though it was quite good as long as there was weight in the back. The Wolseley was lovely but it was on its last legs when I bought it. It only managed one winter. I went through all the usual cars in those days but by far the best in snow and ice was a Hillman Imp, as long as you could get it started! :lol:

I'm putting my Sottozeros (excellent tyre) back on this Friday, which is odd as it's going to be around 25C!

It's a bit early to do so but the temps will drop off when we get into October and it's predicted to be a cold one with snow predicted by the end of or beginning of November!

We have a set of Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres on a spare set of IS250 17" rims that go on the IS200 Sport when the temperature drops below 7 degrees or less on a regular basis. Last winter I actually drove past a Landrover Freelander that was stuck on an icy hill here in rural Gloucestershire. The Freelander must have been on summer tyres and the look on its drivers face as I sailed past would have been worth a picture :lol: .

I lived in Norway for a couple of years and before I could drive there it was the policy of my Company to put us through the same skidpan and winter driving courses that the Norwegians do, so I know how to drive on ice and snow, but really there's no substitute for using the right tyre for the conditions.

As the winter rims and tyres will not fit the IS-F it stays in the garage throughout the winter until conditions are such that it is safe to drive. 417 bhp driving through summer tyres is a recipe for disaster when the temperatures drop :blink: .

Tango

That's good to know, thank you for the post - It was one of the members on here who posted a video of his Lexus being driven in them in the snow that pointed me in the direction of the pirelli's.

I have done skidpan driving myself but it was some time ago now.

I have learned so much about tyres these past couple of weeks, I am turning into a bore :blink: . They had better make a difference otherwise the Lexus is history!!!!

Desmond

Hi SAD

Thanks for the hint on the tyres. Did you get them through the dealer & what have you done about storage of the summer tyres? Some poster have said they can get them stored for a fee and I'd have to investigate that.

You are right about the Marina by the way. It was lethal in the wet. In snow though it was quite good as long as there was weight in the back. The Wolseley was lovely but it was on its last legs when I bought it. It only managed one winter. I went through all the usual cars in those days but by far the best in snow and ice was a Hillman Imp, as long as you could get it started! :lol:

Hi Desmond

Got them through a big tyre company - just over £600 fitted & balanced (I had to order them which the trye company says is better as come the winter they run out of winter tyres!!) and the summer tyres stored (did you know that tyres have to be stored a certain way up??). Storage is a reasonable £7.50 per tyre for six months. I was going to change my car but winter tyres seems a good option and about £7000 cheaper :tomato:

I'm putting my Sottozeros (excellent tyre) back on this Friday, which is odd as it's going to be around 25C!

It's a bit early to do so but the temps will drop off when we get into October and it's predicted to be a cold one with snow predicted by the end of or beginning of November!

Knitware - I cannot tell you how much I detest snow and how much I think it ruines peoples routine - so I hope your prediction is far out!!

I have ordered the sottozeros and have arranged to have them fitted the weekend our horses come in (8th October)as the weather always dips as soon as they are stabled :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

i have just bought a new set of Vredestein Wintrac xtreme (225/45/R17) from Mytyres website, i have fitted them to a set of £200 17" genuine lexus alloys that i bought off eBay. My intention was to fit the alloys in there scuffed condition but i couldn't help myself and got them refurbed in Lexus dark grey colour at £45 per alloy, they look great now.

I will be fitting them in the next week or so, bring on the snow!

I have winter tyres for my RX300 and ISC

This is mainly to get out of the way of idiots (not Lexus owners, I might add) who go too fast on normal tyres in the winter :o

I have winter tyres for my RX300 and ISC

This is mainly to get out of the way of idiots (not Lexus owners, I might add) who go too fast on normal tyres in the winter :o

That's the only problem I've found with using winter tyres in the UK, and that's other people driving on summer or 'all weather' tyres. No good having the traction when your stuck in a jam caused by others who don't :angry: .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links