Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P2002 Fault Code Is 220D

weeman664

Hello,

I have never posted on this forum before but have used it frequently and got good info since buying my 07 IS220d 3 years ago which now has 39000 miles on it.

I now have a wee tale of horror concerning my car as two days ago the dreaded 'CHECKS VSC' warning light appeared on my dash and the car went into limp home mode.

I contacted LEXUS GLASGOW who I bought the car from and they wanted £72 to run a diagnostic check before letting me know what the problem was.

I went to my own garage who has looked after my cars for years and with a free diagnostic done confirmed that the code P2002 was showing an EGR fault.

Got back onto Lexus and told them the code which they replied was a common issue and would require a weeks work on the engine to fix the problem.They also said that they had been succesful in the past getting Lexus to carry out this work outside the warranty but would not confirm this until they had diagnosed it themselves and checked the service history was in order.

The garage said they has another car the same age in their workshop getting the same repair carried out and Lexus were paying for that one.

I asked how much it would be if Lexus declined to pay for the work and was told about £5000.............. I nearly fainted, panicked that my service history wasn't up to date and booked the car in for this Thursday.

Checked my service book and it appears ok so am now looking forward to Thursday although I am fully expecting a fight to get Lexus to pay but will see how I get on.

I would appreciate feed back from anyone who has had similar experience and what the outcome was and if Lexus stumped up for the repair and I will let you know how I get on.

Also can I say that I love my Lexus to drive and have found it to be a dream to own to date, hope this remains the same after this week, fingers crossed!

I had the same problem last year. Mine was 13 months outside the warranty period (44k) and had been serviced by Lexus / Toyota service centres. I had mine towed into Lexus Cardiff and they estimated around £2300 to put right, but said they would contact Lexus if any goodwill would be forthcoming. Fortunately Lexus came up trumps and met the cost and restored my faith in the brand, so will give them first crack of the whip when I decide to change.

I am also worried about his issue, so contacted the dealer. They said that when the warning light comes on the engine needs some rebuilding with pistons and so on. Its a big and costly job. I have been told to keep an eye on the oil level, warning lights, sluggish performance. The car engine has a 7yr 100k warranty, so don't pay for anything.

Hi,

dropped the car off at Lexus Glasgow yesterday morning and got a call later that afternoon confirming that Lexus had approved the car falls into the criteria to have this work carried out at their expense.

Good news and a wee bit happier but being a bit pessimistic I will not believe it till I get the car back in a weeks time and have not had to pay for anything.

Lexus are updating me every day as to the progress so if anything else comes up I will post an update and will let you know when I get the car back next week.

Cheers for the replies and fingers are still crossed.

You should see an improvement in fuel consumption and it should accelerate much smoother. Its good that its happened now than outside the 7yr or 100K.

Would be very interested in finding out exactly what has been done to your car. I hope that Lexus do a recall to fix this problem, mine is sluggish but its not using any oil so I can't get the work done, have to wait!

Good luck

Hello,

got my car back from Lexus today with all the work carried out and I wasn't charged a single penny.....hooray!!

The work done included new pistons with modified curved head, new ERG valve,modified head gasket and modified catalytic converter.

According to Lexus the work would have cost in excess of £4800 and will cure this problem for good,they also said that doing low mileage local type driving without getting above 40-50 mph was the main cause and as I mainly do motorway/A road driving the damage may have been done before I bought the car.

Got to say thanks to Lexus and Lexus Glasgow as have read of other car makers/dealerships whose engines suffer from similar issues and they will not repair outside the warranty.

Anyone with similar issues should get the same service so don't pay for this issue to be sorted.

Have to run the car in for 600-800 miles and take it back for a check up but am now considering what to do next,keep the car or do I get rid whilst it is sorted......will find it hard to move from Lexus as have been spoiled with the quality and also the dealership service.

Cheers for the replies

Hello,

got my car back from Lexus today with all the work carried out and I wasn't charged a single penny.....hooray!!

The work done included new pistons with modified curved head, new ERG valve,modified head gasket and modified catalytic converter.

According to Lexus the work would have cost in excess of £4800 and will cure this problem for good,they also said that doing low mileage local type driving without getting above 40-50 mph was the main cause and as I mainly do motorway/A road driving the damage may have been done before I bought the car.

Got to say thanks to Lexus and Lexus Glasgow as have read of other car makers/dealerships whose engines suffer from similar issues and they will not repair outside the warranty.

Anyone with similar issues should get the same service so don't pay for this issue to be sorted.

Have to run the car in for 600-800 miles and take it back for a check up but am now considering what to do next,keep the car or do I get rid whilst it is sorted......will find it hard to move from Lexus as have been spoiled with the quality and also the dealership service.

Cheers for the replies

Hi there,

Very interested reading this post...my 220d is going in to Glasgow Lexus tomorrow for (surprise surprise) investigation into Engine Light + Check VSC + Traction Control Light etc etc. Went into limp mode yesterday. A friend retrieved the code for me (P2002 - Particulate trap efficiency below threshold bank 1).

My car is a 2007 with 57k on the clock. All servicing so far by Lexus. Hopefully I'll get the same level of customer service you have received and Lexus are famed for.

Will keep you posted.

On my home from work tonight (about 3/4 miles from home) I had the dreaded "check vsc" warning and engine went into safe mode. As posted above I had a similar experience about 18 months ago. That time I was told the EGR valve had got clogged and caused the CAT to fail.

Is it likely to be the same fault (I have done 10k or so since)? If so would Lexus cover the cost? Or what elaeis it likely to be. I have Lexus roadside assistance - would they be able to diagnose the problem?

Enda, not sure what the acceptance criteria is but certainly worth a discussion with lexus. I don't think they'll insist on full lexus service history although I'm sure it helps.

My car with lexus Glasgow who will be working on it for a week. lexus picking up all costs. Surpassing my expectations!

On my home from work tonight (about 3/4 miles from home) I had the dreaded "check vsc" warning and engine went into safe mode. As posted above I had a similar experience about 18 months ago. That time I was told the EGR valve had got clogged and caused the CAT to fail.

Is it likely to be the same fault (I have done 10k or so since)? If so would Lexus cover the cost? Or what elaeis it likely to be. I have Lexus roadside assistance - would they be able to diagnose the problem?

Rang Lexus Roadside Assistance (the AA), and they turned up within 20 mins, plugged in his computer and was told the problem was the EGR valve. I took up his offer to clean it and clear the fault codes to get me up and running again. He did this in 3/4 of an hour and the car drives normally again. The amount of "soot" was amazing. The car is due a service (at my local Toyota centre) next week and have asked them to check the valve (as per AA man's recommendations), although he said this would happen again at some point as my commute to work is only about 10 miles. So I think I will be keeping it until next spring and be going back to petrol or possibly hybrid.

PS The service from the AA was excellent.

Enda, not sure what the acceptance criteria is but certainly worth a discussion with lexus. I don't think they'll insist on full lexus service history although I'm sure it helps.

My car with lexus Glasgow who will be working on it for a week. lexus picking up all costs. Surpassing my expectations!

Thanks may have to look into giving them a call.

Thanks

Enda

Hi,

Enda my car did not have a full Lexus service history as I use a local garage owned by a friend but as long as the service record is up to date then there should be no issue.

Good to hear that others are getting the same service from Lexus and having the fault repaired at no cost.

Have hardly used the car since I got it back so cannot report on fuel consumption but if any improvement I will post and let you know.

Still haven't decided wether to get rid or keep the car, it needs tyres and serviced so that may be a consideration.

Cheers for all replies.

• 2 weeks later...

K-Fal,

my car is running fine although I have been off work so have not used it a great deal.MPG seems to be pretty normal ie 35 around town and 45 when on motorway. The car has to go back to Lexus after 600-800 miles for a check.

I have decided to keep the car cause looking at other cars I am struggling to get anything near the same quality and looking at petrol models means I loose a lot of power to get anything like the same economy. I have been spoiled with the Lexus and will get a set of tyres and service before the winter sets in.

I will post after the check up in a couple of weeks probably and let you know if there are any problems.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I may have some bad news! last year my 2007 is220d went into Lexus at tunbridge wells kent with 45,000 miles on the clock. 3 weeks later it came back out having had a new engine block, egr valve and components to rebuild the engine after a major over heating problem! Lexus repaired the vehicle free of charge and provided me with a hire car. I have been informed that this is a real problem with this engine and that a partial (as stated lower down on this forum rebuild) is not the best way to fix the problem.

anyway you will be alarmed to know that my lexus has just gone back into the garage today with the VSC light on including the engine management light and traction control light. the car also went into limp mode!

the car has now covered 97,000 miles and if it turns out that it is an engine problem again then it will mean that my car will need a new engine every year or 45,000 miles. so i have a couple of concerns

1) if the problem is the same as last year what is the likely hood of lexus rebuilding it again? very very small!

2) does the engine really have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty????

3) does the warranty roll over or start again at the point of repair, i doubt it.

4) if the fault is the same as before then really lexus should repair at no cost even if the service history is imcomplete, mine has been serviced 3 times since the repair.

personally i think/hope there is another issue with the car this time as i cant believe it would need 3 engines!!!!

could be a build up of fuel additive in the head from using different petrol stations or when then rebuild the engine they didnt clean the head and it had clogged up.

either way if you have one of these cars get rid!!!!!!!!

im glad i have done the christmas shopping early but will post again with out come of my very sick lexus

Hi , very interested in your last post , my car has the dreaded VSC light on with the traction symbol . it is booked into the dealership tomorrow but i certainly will be mentioning this website and all the reports. I just hope they accept there is a pattern here with all these issues i.e they should be doing a recall and fixing the problem before it occurs. I dont fancy paying 4 or 5 grand to repair it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just dropped my 2007 220d with 53k miles off at Lexus. Waiting to hear if they'll repair mine which seems to be having the same problem.

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm or tell me how to find out about the 7 year engine warranty or any other useful info in case I need to argue the fact.

I'm just hoping the 'famed customer services" kick in or will be looking at the £4500 fix.

Will keep you posted on any results.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just to let you know the excellent "customer service" did kick in. After a few nervous days, I received a call authorising all the corrective work to be carried out.

It took about 3 or 4 days but got the car back and its now night and day. Cant thank the staff at Lexus and in particular Lexus Edinburgh enough. Very professional, courteous and understanding.

Only done about 100 miles since the fix but couldnt be happier.

• 1 month later...

I have an IS 220D. 75000 miles. 2006 . FSH but not lexus FSH. Lexus are refusing to do the egr and catalytic converter which is the fault showed up in lexus belfast as a result of the "check vsc". Very disappointed. Anything I can do? Even the woman on phone in lexus told me to bring car (90 miles) as long as servicing was done by a VAT registered mechanic. Only now for them to refuse????

• 4 months later...

I've got a Lexus is220d 06 plate 66000 miles and had the check VSC fault code displayed yesterday, called out the AA man this morning and he did the diagnostic check it pointed to the EGR, he removed the top pipe and was able to clean out the EGR and reset the fault codes. All looks to be OK at the moment! Drives perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

i have an IS220d. 43000 miles 2008. full servive history with lexus/toyota. I also have this 'check vsg' fault and i've been told that it could cost between £900 and £2500 to repair but its not covered at all by the extended engine warranty. So much for lexus customer service, very disappointed. Is it possible to contact lexus uk direct as the service i'm receiving from there dealer is poor.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I bought my d sport end of July 2012. On the drive home I noticed the fuel economy was crap. I was getting 30mpg on the motorway and put it down to bad and cheap diesel in the car. I use to have one as a company car when they first came out, and onmotorways got about 45mpg and 37mpg locally, and understood the characteristics of this car well. Once I started driving it locally noticed that I was getting 22mpg! I thought to let the tank run empty then filled up with Shell V Power Diesel, fuel economy locally went upto 25mpg. I then came across this forum and learnt of what I should have researched prior to purchase......

I called the Lexus dealer in Cheltenham and expressed my concern. Dale asked me to bring my car in to check for fault codes. They had a quick look at no charge and told me there were no fault codes registered however my EGR valve was covered in carbon deposits. Furthermore my car was on the original CAT and that Lexus had a service bulletin to replace the CAT if the relevant fault code registered on the ECU plus any additional work on the engine if it was required. Dale confirmed Lexus had given the engine a 7 year 100k mile warranty but only allowed to do any work if the relevant fault codes were registered. Unhappy with this I called Lexus Customer Relations with a complaint for them to authorise the dealer to fix the problem as all the symptoms were pointing to a failure of EGR and CAT and could result in an engine rebuild, i requested they replace the EGR and CAT to prevent engine failure. They said they would look into this and call me back.

2 days later i got a call saying the warranty administrators won't authorise the work until the ECU registers the fault even though the car had all the symptoms of a problem they are aware with.

Feeling let down, I decided to fill my next tank fill should be with BP Ultimate Diesel in the hope the additives in the fuel would help the car breathe better and result in minimal damage when i does go bang, again I noticed a gain in fuel economy and tiny bit on the power. However when this tank load finished I filled up with regular diesel from BP and fuel economy figures dropped back down to just above what they were when I bought the car. I called the previous owner and he told me he had always used Tesco and Sainsbury's fuel. Goes to show branded fuel such as BP, Shell, Esso etc is of a better quality than the Supermarket fuel.

Any way on Sunday just gone I was driving home on the M5 with my cruise control on at 73mph and getting a 37mpg average when the engine management light came on followed by a slight judder which cut the cruise control and then the "Check VSC" was on the display, this happened at just after midnight and with my family in the car I just wanted to get home and decided traffic was at a minimal level to allow me to do this safely.. The car had gone into limp mode and engine speed was limited to 2500rpm, when a uphill gradient came car slowed down and gained on an uphill gradient. I got home ok and delayed by 20mins or so. I had reset the fuel computer when the warning lights came on and got an amazing 49mpg on the motorway. Shows the back up program on he ECU runs a more efficient program.

I spoke to Dale again the following day and he asked me to bring my car and get the repair done under warranty, we are 99% certain it is the same problem mentioned by everyone else in this discussion and needs the same fix. I will take the car in tomorrow and update.

Picked up my car. Lexus had sent a brand new engine for my car. However they authorised the dealer to clean the EGR valve and the CAT. Dale had informed me when I had dropped the car, that previously they were rebuilding engines and replacing EGR and CAT, and that now Lexus were taking back the faulty engines rebuilding themselves and sending out for warranty replacement, they were only doing this if the head, pistons, cranks etc were ok, but most of the time they are not so most people get brand new engines.

I must admit after collecting the car, it feels a lot tighter and drives like a brand new car. I filled up the car with Shell regular diesel and took it for 130 mile run, on the motorway I averaged 45mpg, locally I've done 10 miles and got 35mpg. When I filled up I noticed that my fuel range was now showing 495miles, this was just after collecting the car and prior to my drive. Prior to the new engine whenever I had filled up range on tank would only show 402miles.

One more thing the dealer had noticed that my rear brake calipers were seizing on an intermittent basis, I had them replaced at the same time as the engine, maybe they were sticking whilst I was driving hence having an effect on the fuel economy, as more friction there to slow me down whilst engine working to speed me.

I asked the dealer if they lubricate the calipers on service, they stated they do it now. So maybe when winter approaches every year I will go Kwik Fit and have the free brake test they offer and when car goes in remind the dealer to lube the brake calipers. That way i have two opinions plus one from the MOT test, just to monitor this as I note the rear brake calipers are another common fault.

Right now the way the car drives it reminds me of the way my company car use to drive when I first got it brand new. This second Lexus has put a big smile on my face, and having driven my wife's 120d M Sport earlier today think this engine in the Lexus is just as good if not better. Just needs a bit of TLC.

If you have any warning lights on take it to your Lexus dealer and let them decide on course of action - it may get your problem sorted than trying second guess an alternative or a cheaper fix, if that doesn't satisfy you contact Lexus Customer Relations to ensure dealer is following their brand protocol in your particular instance.