Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450H Battery Pack Fail

Milou

Hello everyone,

as you can see this is my first post here. Being a member on other forums makes me confident to post here and get some feedback.

I own a 2006 GS450h which I bought used from the UK 1 1/2 years ago. The car was an approved used with full service history. It now has 60k miles on it.

About a month ago the engine light shown in the dash and I was reading check hybrid system. I took the car to Lexus garage. They checked with their diagnostic and said that this could be a control unit on the batteries or the batteries. We tried the CU but the problem was still there. So they now say it's the batteries, they cost 4k plus labour so I Decided to ask on the forum if anyone else faced the same problem.

From their side Lexus states that this is the first time they have batteries failing on these cars. They search on their network and said this is the first case in the EU.

Anyone who could share some knowledge would be very appreciated

Sorry for having problems with your Lexus.

I believe the batteries and the hybrid components are covered under warranty. Check with your dealer.

This is copied from Lexus site :(Lexus Hybrid vehicles are provided with a five-year/60,000-mile hybrid component warranty. Any defect that is attributable to a manufacturing or assembly defect under normal use is covered by the warranty).

Let us know how you get with things.

Ahmed

Thank you Ahmed,

I think I lost the warranty because my car is a 2006 model with a little more than 60,000 miles.

Still worth pursuing Lexus over it. They may still cover it.

I was also told the same by Lexus Derby (UK) in that a hybrid Battery pack had never been replaced but I had heard that the control unit (Inverter pack) had failed on some vehicles.

Your vehicle is very close to the warranty period so as advised previously I would push for a full warranty replacement or at the very worst a 50/50 joint liability.

BTW which EU country are you in? As it may be worth contacting Lexus head Office in your country if this is the 1st ever Battery pack to fail.

I imagine Lexus would not want it to be widely known that a customer has been faced with a large invoice for Battery pack replacement particularly as they are heavily into the hybrid system.

I was also told the same by Lexus Derby (UK) in that a hybrid battery pack had never been replaced but I had heard that the control unit (Inverter pack) had failed on some vehicles.

Your vehicle is very close to the warranty period so as advised previously I would push for a full warranty replacement or at the very worst a 50/50 joint liability.

BTW which EU country are you in? As it may be worth contacting Lexus head Office in your country if this is the 1st ever battery pack to fail.

I imagine Lexus would not want it to be widely known that a customer has been faced with a large invoice for battery pack replacement particularly as they are heavily into the hybrid system.

The problem with batteries in hybrid vehicles is that they WILL fail/lose capacity. ALL rechargeable batteries have a finite life. It is just a question of when they will fail. The design criterion is that they should last the life of the vehicle as defined by the manufacturer - Toyota guarantee theirs for 8 years/100000miles and in some US states for 15 years. Generally, they have been found to exceed the mileage side by a large factor, although the time factor is not yet fully proven because they haven't been around that long.

It will be interesting to see what Lexus will do to help you with your problem - it is in their own best interest to maintain their reputation for long-term reliabilty given that the second-hand market and to some degree new sales are already depressed by rumours (apparently completely unfounded) of LIKELY and huge replacement costs for the batteries. Maybe a longer guarantee period would persuasively allay customer's fears and definitively prove they are not shared by Lexus? It would cost them nothing if there is no problem. After all Kia offer long warranties to convince people it is worth buying their products.

• 9 months later...

I have just had the same indications, engine symbol and Check Hybrid System. The engine cut out and the car was running on Battery only. Fault diagnosis showed Transmission Fluid Low Pressure and it seems the transmission has failed. The car is a 2006 model with 75k miles. Fortunately the vehicle is under warranty as the repair is expected to run to £3500.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I recently bought a used 07 GS450H here in Ireland. I was quite fortunate as the car was taken for a service before I accepted delivery and the Hybrid Battery had failed. As the car was covered under warranty (only 6 months left) they replaced the Battery free of charge. The price for one of those batteries over here was €5000! So it seems that they are aware of batteries failing close to the warranty. Have to say that the GS450H is probably the best car I have driven by a long way.

• 7 months later...

Interesting, I was in a dealers yesterday after picking the car up from a 60k service and we discussed longevity. The dealer said that they are told on the Lexus courses that there has NEVER bee a hybrid Battery fault.

How did you guys get on with replacements?

• 4 months later...

Hi, I've just purchased a 2006 GS450H with only 27,000 miles on it and a full lexus dealer history. However the hybrid Battery seems to hold very little charge. What kind of drive time in traffic are others getting on Battery? I've no errors/warnings as of yet, the car came dealer serviced.

Don' t worry about the "little" charge kept in your GS Battery, in cold weather it's normal, and anyway the function of HV Battery in hybrids is to give the necessary power to move the car helping gasoline motor and storing energy when braking to use it accelerating; it's a hybrid car, not electric ;-)

With my GS it's good if i do 1 mile only in electric mode, and to do this you have to keep your righ foot very light...

The best result for fuel economy is to keep Battery charge around 6 bars (the whole blue ones).

• 3 months later...

I just got an 06 450h. I know the Battery has been changed and is under warranty for 8 years . I get the hybrid warning light come up when I have been driving in city traffic for a trip but once I whip it round a motorway that soon clears up. Any ideas about what that might be? Is that the hybrid pack , the actuators or something else?

• 4 months later...

I just got an 06 450h. I know the battery has been changed and is under warranty for 8 years . I get the hybrid warning light come up when I have been driving in city traffic for a trip but once I whip it round a motorway that soon clears up. Any ideas about what that might be? Is that the hybrid pack , the actuators or something else?

If you are getting the check hybrid warning then something is wrong with your car - get the dealer to check it out ASAP.

Hopefully it's the Battery in which case your covered but it could be some roger part if the hybrid system starting to fail such as the inverter or coolant pump. Has the dealer performed a health check recently as part of a service?

Thanks Simon. I have had it checked and again. Even went when the warning was on and Lexus said the Battery pack was fine. When I start it these days, I give it some welly so the engine runs for a bit before we move off. Seems to work in those instances....

• 2 months later...

lets be honest these cars are rubbish I own a GS450h last week took mine to a lexus dealer informed I need to spend 4500 euro on batteries yet only 138k miles on clock as I live in Ireland I rang lexus Ireland last april as I bought it second hand with full lexus service history to ask would it be a good buy and guess what I was told u will have no problems trouble free motoring if lexus don't know what they are selling what hope has the customer ,

There seems to be some long term reliability issues with the GS450h which aren't seen on other Lexus vehicles and given the low numbers sold, the number of people reporting problems is quite alarming.

I'm certainly recommending that people do not purchase Series III GS450h vehicles, especially without an extended Lexus warranty.

• 1 year later...

Hi have the same problem in ireland my one is 06 Gs 450h at the time it had 138k on the clock lexus will tell u it never happens but they still wanted 4500 euro to replace wrote to lexus ireland they informed they would not do anything to help in any way part payment or otherwise this was in May 2015 so i checked on the web and found a company in Northampton outside london called Hybrid Solutions i removed the Battery and sent it by courior it took about 2 weeks between sending and return cost for repair about 800 pounds since then Battery has been 100% no thanks to lexus in any way the person i was dealing with was called Richard have to say service was excellent but now have tranmission error fault on car went to lexus to find out what this will cost they said 3500 euro approx to replacethe tranmission and i gave them the error codes !!! Lexus dont want to repair any faults only replace parts at crazy prices this Lexus Gs450h without hesitation is the worse car i have every bought if u buy a lexus dont buy a Hybrid lexus cant fix or wont any problems u have and if its outside warranty dont even ask them they dont want to know

• Like 2

Hi have the same problem in ireland my one is 06 Gs 450h at the time it had 138k on the clock lexus will tell u it never happens but they still wanted 4500 euro to replace wrote to lexus ireland they informed they would not do anything to help in any way part payment or otherwise this was in May 2015 so i checked on the web and found a company in Northampton outside london called Hybrid Solutions i removed the battery and sent it by courior it took about 2 weeks between sending and return cost for repair about 800 pounds since then battery has been 100% no thanks to lexus in any way the person i was dealing with was called Richard have to say service was excellent but now have tranmission error fault on car went to lexus to find out what this will cost they said 3500 euro approx to replacethe tranmission and i gave them the error codes !!! Lexus dont want to repair any faults only replace parts at crazy prices this Lexus Gs450h without hesitation is the worse car i have every bought if u buy a lexus dont buy a Hybrid lexus cant fix or wont any problems u have and if its outside warranty dont even ask them they dont want to know

hi

the transmission problem you are reporting could be a failed oil circulating pump.

have a read here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/91739-gs450h-loss-of-power/

all credit goes to hayne

im still VERY undecided if i should buy one

Lexus offer the "Hybrid Health Check" either on its own (£59) or included within the standard service price.

As long as this has been carried out annually at either a Lexus or Toyota centre the Battery element is cover for up to 11 years! (10th year through)

In my 8 years with the brand I have only ever seen them replaced due to water ingress or crash damage.

Lexus offer the "Hybrid Health Check" either on its own (£59) or included within the standard service price.

As long as this has been carried out annually at either a Lexus or Toyota centre the battery element is cover for up to 11 years! (10th year through)

In my 8 years with the brand I have only ever seen them replaced due to water ingress or crash damage.

what does the hybrid health check involve - do they access the Battery and check each cell or is there a hidden menu which shows the cell voltages etc?

The Lexus diagnostic computer is used to run a test across the Battery system, I believe it tests all of the cells individually and then the Battery as a whole generating a printout and certificate for the customer.

Google "Lexus Hybrid Health Check" link to the Lexus blog is the best as it has the video.

I can't paste into the box for some reason?