Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Used Parts From The Us

I recently bought, from an eBay seller in the US, a complete second-hand front steering knuckle/hub assy. When currency-converted, the item cost around £50 and the shipping £60. (It's a heavy object.)

Imagine my shock on receiving a notification from Parcel Force, stating that my parcel would not be delivered until I paid a ransom of £28: £20 VAT and £8 "clearance fee"!

I've made several attempts at calling the number given to dispute this extortion, but each time, after going through all the menus, was told "all of our agents are busy, try later" and was then cut off!

A visit to the HMRC website does indeed indicate that VAT is payable on shipping as well as the value of the goods. And second-hand goods aren't exempt. I mean, WTF?!!!

So, to sum up, they: (1) Steal your property (for which you have already paid) and demand a ransom for its return, (2) Demand a further ransom of £8 for doing this, and (3) won't answer the phone and just cut you off.

And I still haven't even seen the item - it might be damaged or unsatisfactory in some way, and then what?

And before you ask, I have not been able to find one of these in the UK. Yes, I did try you-know-who, and no, I wasn't happy with what he sent me.

Not a good day. :angry:

I wouldn't bother ringing them, you will get nowhere. It's a case of, if you don't pay the fees you won't get the item, and risk it being destroyed.

Unfortunately the UK government has been ripping us off like this for years and it won't change anytime soon.

The same in this country: if the item is 22 Euros or over you pay over the total amount of the item + shipping! Plus, of course, a handling and shipping fee....

Grmpf^$&%$&!@@!*&

Jac

Some get through no problem others get inspected and then you get charged the VAT and "handling charge" Parcelforce are a division of Royal Mail so say no more this is the same company that charges £1.00 admin fee if you dare to put the incorrect stamp on a "large letter".

It's just down to luck really I have also been hit with charges in the past.

If I remember correctly items valued at under $36.00 are excempt from charges but what does that buy nowadays.

You can pay the fees then dispute it with HMRC but is it worth it? If you bought the same part in the UK from a VAT registered business you would still have to pay 20% VAT on it anyway and if you cannot get one over here what choice do you have?

You have to pay VAT not only on the item but also the shipping charge so you have been undercharged by £2.00.

At least we can now send and receive items from all EU coutries without the hassle of customs declarations, still don't understand why we still need passports for the same though.

Some get through no problem others get inspected and then you get charged the VAT and "handling charge" Parcelforce are a division of Royal Mail so say no more this is the same company that charges £1.00 admin fee if you dare to put the incorrect stamp on a "large letter".

It's just down to luck really I have also been hit with charges in the past.

If I remember correctly items valued at under $36.00 are excempt from charges but what does that buy nowadays.

You can pay the fees then dispute it with HMRC but is it worth it? If you bought the same part in the UK from a VAT registered business you would still have to pay 20% VAT on it anyway and if you cannot get one over here what choice do you have?

You have to pay VAT not only on the item but also the shipping charge so you have been undercharged by £2.00.

At least we can now send and receive items from all EU coutries without the hassle of customs declarations, still don't understand why we still need passports for the same though.

Hi Fellow Lexuns

Your greviances are genuine and without doubt this country is the worst in the world for ripping the back out of its own citizens for living on a island.But behold there is a way to get round these parasites that prey on endeavour.

Find yourself a regular traveller to the united states be it a friend ,relation or someone off a internet site who you think you can trust.

Order your american product then get the party you have to take delivery of the item in the states .the allowance for imported goods as now risen to £250 from the states per person without incurring duty and import tax . get it .

After my accident I need another set of those smoked indicator units, I can get them from the USA for around £20.00 but then they rip you off with a £30.00 delivery charge.

Plan B was to have them sent to a friend in Florida which has free P+P and then get him to reship them to me.

Problem is Ebay/Paypal won't allow me to have them sent to a US address because my account is UK based.

Can't win won't win!

After my accident I need another set of those smoked indicator units, I can get them from the USA for around £20.00 but then they rip you off with a £30.00 delivery charge.

Plan B was to have them sent to a friend in Florida which has free P+P and then get him to reship them to me.

Problem is Ebay/Paypal won't allow me to have them sent to a US address because my account is UK based.

Can't win won't win!

Can your friend in Sunny Florida not buy them and then ship them to you?

Mike

It might be worth the sender checking if its cheaper to send by one of the large carriers such as USP or DHL for inclusive prices, they charge by weight and size of parcel e.g 1-30kg £XX & so on, avoid FedEx thats very xpensive

Or go on the US based ClubLexus site and see if someone there will assist.

I got loads of bits for my Abbott Saab from the US using this very method (obviously a Saab site, not the Lexus site).

Can't win won't win!

Hi steve

The way round that is to give your friend address in florida as your alternative address on your eBay and Paypal Account. When you purchase something on the US eBay site you have your friends address in place for that transaction you must also have the paypal information as the same address the reason for this is the two companies share your information .

I go to florida for 10 weeks every january and buy loads of things on eBay and web sites using paypal and I give the rented house I use as my address and it works fine, everything gets shipped next day from all over the states.

When I get back home I just change my address back to the UK address.

Can't win won't win!

Hi steve

The way round that is to give your friend address in florida as your alternative address on your eBay and Paypal Account. When you purchase something on the US eBay site you have your friends address in place for that transaction you must also have the paypal information as the same address the reason for this is the two companies share your information .

I go to florida for 10 weeks every january and buy loads of things on eBay and web sites using paypal and I give the rented house I use as my address and it works fine, everything gets shipped next day from all over the states.

You couldn't order me some indicators while you are over there and bring them back for me could you? There is no hurry as the car passed the MOT with one of them glued/sealed.

Can't win won't win!

Hi steve

You couldn't order me some indicators while you are over there and bring them back for me could you? There is no hurry as the car passed the MOT with one of them glued/sealed.

Hi Steve

I am all set to go in the middle of Jan and if you contact me just after Xmas I will sort that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links