Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt Change To Ls400 Year 1998

itarumaa

Hello, I cannot live with fear anymore so I think I have to get the timing belt done. I was scared today that it will fail, but luckily (?) it was actually AC compressor making weird noices (bearing?).

But anyway, I have to get the belt done, so here we go:

The car has 153k miles, no service history and therefore no history about belt changes. The previous owner said that belt was done at 76k miles, but that was in Ireland and Irish, altough nice people, do not have great interest to keep the cars in good working order (based on my experience anyhow:) ), so basically I have no way of knowing if the belt was done or not.

But I think I can take the car to garage near by, they charge 52e/hour so the bill should be ok.

But two questions; where to get the timing belt kit ( I live in Finland, even the car is RHD), maybe someone could sell me one in this forum.

Should I change the water pump as well?

Is there any reason to get genunine parts or brand X,Y,Z

Or will any set do the job?

Thanks

When I had mine done I bought the kit from the USA as they are considerably cheaper from there,it was after market so not genuine Lexus but all the bearings and tensioner were stamped "Made in Japan" and the belt itself was made by Gates.

I don't know how Finland treat imported goods, the UK customs sometimes get us with VAT and

handling charges but if bought from another EU country there won't be a problem.

I would have a search online for local suppliers 1st then look further afield if you cannot find what you need.

While you are in there I would replace the water pump it should only add another hour of labour.

I think the time required for the whole job is between 8-10 hours for a good mechanic.

It looks OK for the money but as you say postage is high at £35.00 ( 3 day UK to Finland is under £15.00) .The only thing is there is only one idler pulley and 2 are fitted, I had the same problem when I did mine but found a kit from the USA which included both eventually.

Have you also seen this one with all genuine parts? May be worth making an offer? It even includes the water pump and various other parts including the tensioner and water pump.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LEXUS-PARTS-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Overhaul-Kit-Lexus-LS400-LS430-/290618864267?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43aa3bf28b#ht_500wt_1204

Ebay2

Im now asking if this seller could post to Finland,

I would like to get the whole set, most likely without waterpump, but I am not 100% sure if that set has all and does it fit my Ls400, year 1998 with VVT-I engine, since the data informed is a slightly unclear for me.

Ebay2

Im now asking if this seller could post to Finland,

I would like to get the whole set, most likely without waterpump, but I am not 100% sure if that set has all and does it fit my Ls400, year 1998 with VVT-I engine, since the data informed is a slightly unclear for me.

That place is only 10 miles (14 KMs) from where I live, I could give them a call to check the specification if you wish.

Also if they won't ship to Finland or want too much money to send I would gladly take delivery here in the UK and then ship over to you at cost.

It looks OK for the money but as you say postage is high at £35.00 ( 3 day UK to Finland is under £15.00) .The only thing is there is only one idler pulley and 2 are fitted, I had the same problem when I did mine but found a kit from the USA which included both eventually.

Have you also seen this one with all genuine parts? May be worth making an offer? It even includes the water pump and various other parts including the tensioner and water pump.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LEXUS-PARTS-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Overhaul-Kit-Lexus-LS400-LS430-/290618864267?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43aa3bf28b#ht_500wt_1204

I nearly bought those parts, but checked the part numbers, the number for the water pump is not for a MK4 LS400, I suspect its a different part for an LS430.

The eBay ad states quite clearly that the parts are for an LS430.

• 1 month later...

FYI, the water pump for a MKIV LS400 (98-2000) is part number 16100-59275. This part number is used on:

2001-2010 SC430

1997- GS430

1994-2000 LS400

2000-2006 LS430

Various Land Cruisers

2002-2007 LX470

So basically, it's the same part for any UZ (4.0, 4.3, 4.7 V8) engine 1994 onwards.

FYI, the water pump for a MKIV LS400 (98-2000) is part number 16100-59275. This part number is used on:

2001-2010 SC430

1997- GS430

1994-2000 LS400

2000-2006 LS430

Various Land Cruisers

2002-2007 LX470

So basically, it's the same part for any UZ (4.0, 4.3, 4.7 V8) engine 1994 onwards.

I agree the part number for a 1998 MKIV LS400 is 16100-59275, but the part number in that auction is 16100-52976, that difference is surely significant?

It's a superceeded part number - there's been an improvement or something changed internally in the pump. That's generally what an increase of 1 means in Toyota part numbers. FWIW the original EPC shows the part number ending in 5 for the cars I listed, but if you try and order that part number from a dealer you'll get the part ending in 6 instead - the Toyota parts ordering system won't let you order old parts.

Hope that makes sense!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links