Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

the 7 degrees thing is only marketing. Winter tires are better only on snow and ice. Summers are better even when cold on dry or wet road. Also aquaplaning resistance is higher on summer tires.

BUT - the advantage on wet and dry road with summer tires over winter tires is in single percents. The advantage on snow or ice with winter tires over summer tires is in tenths of percents...

To fit winters only on rears is nothing but stupid. I'd rather not be able to climb a hill, than climb it and than crash going down because of no braking/steering possibility.

We will choose to disagree then, as my experience when living and driving in Norway was that the winter tyres were far superior on cold roads, whether wet or dry.

Have I said something different?

the 7 degrees thing is only marketing. Winter tires are better only on snow and ice. Summers are better even when cold on dry or wet road. Also aquaplaning resistance is higher on summer tires.

BUT - the advantage on wet and dry road with summer tires over winter tires is in single percents. The advantage on snow or ice with winter tires over summer tires is in tenths of percents...

What tosh, I mean everything you say here is wrong, not slightly wrong but every single assumption written is absurd.

Absurd: adjective. 1. utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false:

I am waiting for explanation with facts.

thanks

I am waiting for explanation with facts.

thanks

That looks a bit more than single digit percents.

and that looks a bit more than tenths of a percent

the first video - the surface is not a wet road, but simulation of snowy road, dude.

the second video - yes, the winter tire is able to stop on ice on less then 50% of the length when comparing with summer tires. Isn't that "tenths of percent"?

I can't read German, but I'm under the impression that that surface is to represent very wet & cold weather rather than snow. And tenths of percent is 1/10 or .01, etc. 50% would be tens of percents

I can assure you, that at any temperature, you won't break on wet road for 10 seconds from 45kph. Those are snow conditions.

The reason why I am so sure are my personal experiences (I drive in various conditions (from -20 till +40) and since 1999 I use also winter tires). Furthermore, this experience is confirmed by tire test (by german magazine, which I have at home). Interestingly, it is a big problem to find comparison tests like this, because 7 degrees marketing is important for rubber industry. Also, there are only few tests showing, that winter tires are quite dangerous at temperatures 25 and higher.

Winter tires are really great on snow and very good on dry and wet road in winter times, just it is important to respect 2 things:

1. always fit all 4

2. do not overestimate their abilities

And tenths of percent is 1/10 or .01, etc. 50% would be tens of percents

sorry for this...

Matus: I'm sorry about my previous post, maybe I was being too harsh.

I made extensive research into winter tyres last year and tried to come to facts and conclusions. What I found is and what I recommend to people is that the fitting of winter tyres in the UK, whether we have snow or not, is a good idea.

The 7 degree theory that you think is a myth is in fact true, due to the compound of the tyre winters they really do stay subtle and perform better than summer rubber. Again the evidence for this is plentiful if you look.

I get upset with peoples posts when they obviously haven't looked for the facts and post what they think is true.

yes, you ****** me off a bit, but I am fine now :-)

later today, I'll post the test, where you will see the results, which have opposite results than you wrote.

The reason of the softness of winter tire even when freezing stands in the silicone included in the compound. But, for last couple of years, most of top summer tires do also contain silicone... So, with softer compound, the summer tire has higher contact surface with the road and that's why better result of summer tire also when freezing.

It is good idea to fit winter tires, when it is getting cold, because you never know, when it starts to snow or freeze - and if every driver goes for the tirechange in one day, the city will be full of queues in front of the garages...

I'd say, 7 degrees is the temperature, when the winter tire is not far worse than summer tire anymore...

I couldnt care less about the theory - anything has got to be better than my Lexus in the snow last winter - the absolute pits.

I am putting on winter tyres despite what's going on in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, test results. There are 10 winter tires, one all year and one summer. I will write always the best value of winter tires (W) and then all year (A) and summer (S)

braking on snow 50kph

W 28m

A 33m

S 68m

Aquaplaning at speed

S 93khp

W 92kph

A 79kph

braking on wet road 100kph

S 46m

W 52m

A 53m