Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My parking brake is sticking on on the drivers side, it has been suggested it could be the cables. Has anyone had the experience of replacing the parking brake cables. If so, how difficult is the job ?? Many thanks

Hi

It may not be the cable ,if the shoes are worn the leading edge will bind when the brake is released as the brake shoes cannot centralise. Check how many clicks the parking brake goes down before it reaches its maximum travel if it is more than seven the brakes may need adjusting if they will not adjust anymore to give you the less than seven clicks it is probably the shoes and they should be a minimum of 1mm they are 2.5 mm new.

The cable is pretty well sound in its engineering and there is little that can go wrong.If adjusting them does not solve the problem.

Take off the drum/rotor and get someone to apply the parking brake if the cable is ok the shoes will move out when on and in when off.if they dont move in when the brake is released the cable mechanism is sticking. If you have got to this stage you will probably be best replacing the shoes on both sides if they are worn.

My parking brake is sticking on on the drivers side, it has been suggested it could be the cables. Has anyone had the experience of replacing the parking brake cables. If so, how difficult is the job ?? Many thanks

It might be rust/crap in the end of the cable; had this problem with Dad's Mk3, he took the whole lot to bits & liberally WD40'd the area, and after a good lot of wiggling & fiddling, freed it all up. In his case, you could feel in the pedal that there wasn't much of anything going on, a fact that was very noticable once normal operation was restored.