Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Headlight Adjuster Bracket

Well, it must be so obvious if it's showing signs of corrosion !!

OR

Is this another over zealous Tester proving himself I wonder. Maybe a liberal spraying of WD40 might be a simpler solution.

Malc

As above,what I don't quite understand is how the tester knows this particular part is corroded bearing in mind it probably cannot be seen without removing the headlight and testers are not allowed to dismantle cars to access the area.

Main thing is does the auto headlight adjustment work OK?

Just had a look on Toyodiy and reread your post and noticed you said "o/s/r headlight corrector bracket"

This makes me think the os rear height sensor and link rod is what is being referred to, have a look around the rear axle and you should see what looks like a drop link connected to a black box.

Hi,

This is not an uncommon situation now that the Mk 4 is 13 years old. They were introduced as a requirement with HID headlamps, and are mounted on the front and rear lower off side suspension arms. When my rear one broke, I made a new one from a couple of small marine ball joints and a length of 5mm stainless studding. Sod's law being what it is, I came across the following link about three months afterwards.

http://evansweb.info/2009/11/23/ls400-ride-height-sensor-repair

Regards

Alan

Hi,

This is not an uncommon situation now that the Mk 4 is 13 years old. They were introduced as a requirement with HID headlamps, and are mounted on the front and rear lower off side suspension arms. When my rear one broke, I made a new one from a couple of small marine ball joints and a length of 5mm stainless studding. Sod's law being what it is, I came across the following link about three months afterwards.

Regards

Alan

Cheers Alan just been looking for that link.

Hi,

Regards

Alan

great stuff Alan,

I shall look at replacing this as per the PDF drawing (in stainless of course) and check the front while I am there !!

I shall report back when complete ....

thanks for all replies ..

Had a look today and all info from Alan is 'bang on'

DSCF7372.jpg

It appears the ball and sockets have seized forcing the bracket which is welded to cross rod to snap.

I have now removed offending part and will look at making replacement.

Hardest /awkward bit so far was getting under with grinder to clean / remove broken bracket still welded to cross rod.

DSCF7373.jpg

to be continued ..........

• 3 weeks later...