Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres For The Is-F?

I know the IS-F is quite poor in icy and snowy conditions. My old IS220d could barely cope, and that was a manual. Would winter tyres make a difference? How much would they cost? It seems impossible to find 19" winter tyres with the required width. I am guessing would need to buy a set of 18" wheels, since 18" winter tyres are more popular.

I know the IS-F is quite poor in icy and snowy conditions. My old IS220d could barely cope, and that was a manual. Would winter tyres make a difference? How much would they cost? It seems impossible to find 19" winter tyres with the required width. I am guessing would need to buy a set of 18" wheels, since 18" winter tyres are more popular.

Mine's staying in a warm garage while the temperature is too low, and the IS200 Sport will be out and about on its winter tyres, same as last year.

First for decent Traction in snow etc, although it seems counter-intuitive, you would need much narrower tyres. Generally wide tyres will be worse. But even if the ISF had 100% grip, low ground clearance makes it useless on fresh or lying snow or built-up between ruts more than about 10cm deep - the relatively delicate plastic front can't push it out of the way without risking expensive damage.

Winter tyres are doubtless going to improve things when it is cold and/or "a bit slippery", but even they are not going to cope well with packed snow glazed with ice on untreated roads which I think expenditure-cuts may make more widespread from now on.

Interestingly, in Scandinavia & colder US States, the frequent, severe snows are better and more extensively cleared on urban and busy roads than here, and their quiet roads tend to be really quiet with nothing to hit. Even though winter tyres etc. may be mandatory, and their cars & drivers well-prepared and thoroughly used to bad conditions; their winter accident rates and fatalities are many, many times ours. In reality they cope better but not well.

The moral is that our relatively infrequent icy & dangerous conditions should always beg the question "Is it genuinely essential to drive today?" - but most of us mistake convenient for essential and drive anyway :whistling:

You will wish to ensure that your wheels (alloy plus tyre) are the same diameter as those fitted to the car when it was made.

Any change in wheel diameter could compromise the car's systems.

We all know that our Lexus have a lot of systems!

Argento

Excellent points made by Tango and fjcfarrar, if I may say so.

Particularly fjcfarrar " ... the question "Is it genuinely essential to drive today?" - ..." and, "In reality they cope better but not well. "

If the conditions are that bad, should we really be out there on our congested roads?

No matter how good the Winter tyres are, you will be still be up against the ground clearance that fjcfarrar mentions.

You might get better traction with the Winter tyres, but you could wreck the front spoiler and cause other collateral damage to the car.

Is it worth it?

Argento

First for decent Traction in snow etc, although it seems counter-intuitive, you would need much narrower tyres. Generally wide tyres will be worse. But even if the ISF had 100% grip, low ground clearance makes it useless on fresh or lying snow or built-up between ruts more than about 10cm deep - the relatively delicate plastic front can't push it out of the way without risking expensive damage.

Winter tyres are doubtless going to improve things when it is cold and/or "a bit slippery", but even they are not going to cope well with packed snow glazed with ice on untreated roads which I think expenditure-cuts may make more widespread from now on.

Interestingly, in Scandinavia & colder US States, the frequent, severe snows are better and more extensively cleared on urban and busy roads than here, and their quiet roads tend to be really quiet with nothing to hit. Even though winter tyres etc. may be mandatory, and their cars & drivers well-prepared and thoroughly used to bad conditions; their winter accident rates and fatalities are many, many times ours. In reality they cope better but not well.

The moral is that our relatively infrequent icy & dangerous conditions should always beg the question "Is it genuinely essential to drive today?" - but most of us mistake convenient for essential and drive anyway :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to your question 'would winter tyres make a sufferance'is yes, a great deal of difference. I run an LS430 on Nokian WR G2 tyres in winter and they transform it from a useless chunk of metal to safe reliable transport in the snow and ice. They don't just give you good traction, more importantly they give you safe directional control and decent braking.

You may not be able to use the Is-F as a snowplough, but you will be able to drive in the ice and slush with safety if you take it easy.

Try this supplier - http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Winter_Tyres.html

I'd recommend any Nokien tyre. (They are the company that first developed 'winter tyres'.)

John N.

For the first time in my driving career (25 years)I have fitted winter tyres to my vehicle (is220d) after reading many posts and advice on this forum.

As John N says without winter tyres. "a useless chunk of metal" which is what my Lexus was last winter. I was soooo disappointed in it.

If I dont see a significant improvement when the cold weather comes my Lexus is history!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links