Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"check Hybrid System" Fault? Any Ideas?

Hi all. My 2006 GS450h SE-L ACC/PCS has today decided to randomly flash up "Check Hybrid System" with the CEL and the warning triangle. I called my local dealer and was told that diagnostics costs £85 and that it's not a common fault that they're aware of.

I'm somewhat concerned having only had the car 7 months but as it was bought privately, has no warranty. I hear alarm bells!

Any ideas anyone or has anyone experienced this before? Any comments appreciated.

I had the same light, turned out to be an oil pressure sensor. Took a day and a half to replace after diagnosis, and was told they had never seen the light come on before (surprise).. Thankfully, this was under warranty

I had the same warning about 2 years and 100,000 miles ago, the warning stayed on all of 1 day but I had to keep driving it untill it could be investigated the next day by which time the warning had gone off, I was told it needed just a software upgrade which was performed whilst I waited for 1/2 hour and touch wood no more bother to this day.

I had the same light, turned out to be an oil pressure sensor. Took a day and a half to replace after diagnosis, and was told they had never seen the light come on before (surprise).. Thankfully, this was under warranty

I had the same warning about 2 years and 100,000 miles ago, the warning stayed on all of 1 day but I had to keep driving it untill it could be investigated the next day by which time the warning had gone off, I was told it needed just a software upgrade which was performed whilst I waited for 1/2 hour and touch wood no more bother to this day.

I read something about a software update and mentioned this to the Lexus dealer. He said there isn't one available on my car.

The car has done 58k miles and is registered March 2006 so more than 5 years old.

I read something about a software update and mentioned this to the Lexus dealer. He said there isn't one available on my car.

The car has done 58k miles and is registered March 2006 so more than 5 years old.

Might well be worth checking with other Lexus dealers to see what they say. Some seem more helpful than others and more aware of problems that some models suffer from.

Hi All. Lexus Sheffield have investigated the fault and have said that the crank sensor was giving low readings, something which can be rectified by a software update. They said they'll charge an hour and a half labour at £99.50 + VAT per hour. It's a relief from what I was preparing myself for!

Hi All. Lexus Sheffield have investigated the fault and have said that the crank sensor was giving low readings, something which can be rectified by a software update. They said they'll charge an hour and a half labour at £99.50 + VAT per hour. It's a relief from what I was preparing myself for!

Glad you got the right outcome, all these scare tactics help no one. Just out of interest did you keep driving it and if so did the warning self cancel as mine did?

The car still drove fine although I did drive carefully. I had read a couple of people losing power at motorway speeds and have had this with a previous car (which is scary when in the third lane!) Hence it was straight to Lexus ASAP. I had hoped the warnings would disappear overnight or when restarted a few times but it would appear within seconds of starting every time.

On a slightly different note, has anyone got any experience of the Lexus essentials service packages for cars over 5 years old? Mine is coming up towards needing its 60k service and when I mentioned about the essentials, the reaction I got was as if I had said something inappropriate in public. I was just told that you don't get a Lexus stamp (which doesn't concern me) but how everything is inferior to a 'normal' Lexus service, without giving any specifics???

On a slightly different note, has anyone got any experience of the Lexus essentials service packages for cars over 5 years old? Mine is coming up towards needing its 60k service and when I mentioned about the essentials, the reaction I got was as if I had said something inappropriate in public. I was just told that you don't get a Lexus stamp (which doesn't concern me) but how everything is inferior to a 'normal' Lexus service, without giving any specifics???

The following is from the Lexus site. I would be most annoyed if I didn't get the Lexus stamp as it clearly states Lexus history is preserved.

"That's why we've come up with Lexus Essential Care. Our fixed-price service solutions allow you to have your car serviced by our highly skilled technicians from just £129* a year. All prices include genuine parts, labour and VAT. In other words, your Lexus service history is preserved, while your costs are minimised."

I was told categorically that you do not get a Lexus stamp and that an interim service is something like £190 instead of £130 with Essential care, but the difference was simply the stamp and it was worth paying the extra £60 for it!

I was told categorically that you do not get a Lexus stamp and that an interim service is something like £190 instead of £130 with Essential care, but the difference was simply the stamp and it was worth paying the extra £60 for it!

I hope that you were misinformed (fingers crossed) as I intend having mine serviced shortly on this scheme and would like to preserve FLSH. I was unable to contact my local dealer today but did contact Lincoln who said the book is stamped so possibly different dealerships have their own idea on this matter. I have emailed Lexus UK via their enquiry site to get the "official Lexus view" and when I get their reply I will post it here.

I hope that you were misinformed (fingers crossed) as I intend having mine serviced shortly on this scheme and would like to preserve FLSH. I was unable to contact my local dealer today but did contact Lincoln who said the book is stamped so possibly different dealerships have their own idea on this matter. I have emailed Lexus UK via their enquiry site to get the "official Lexus view" and when I get their reply I will post it here.

Lexus UK have emailed me stating that although the service differs from the standard service the Lexus centre WILL stamp the service book, but may also note that the service was a Lexus Essential Care service.

It seems also that there is a Lexus Essential Care Card that can be stamped and is inserted into the service/warranty booklet.

Lexus Nottingham have kindly e-mailled me the service schedules for minor and major essential care services, including other documentation they have received from Lexus UK. The literature does state that a Lexus stamp should be given but into the separate Lexus essential care warranty card, rather than into the main service book. The essential care service has fewer service items and as such, a stamp in the standard book would indicate the complete service schedule has been carried out rather than an abbreviated one.

Lexus Nottingham have kindly e-mailled me the service schedules for minor and major essential care services, including other documentation they have received from Lexus UK. The literature does state that a Lexus stamp should be given but into the separate Lexus essential care warranty card, rather than into the main service book. The essential care service has fewer service items and as such, a stamp in the standard book would indicate the complete service schedule has been carried out rather than an abbreviated one.

So what Lexus are saying is that the car either gets its 'proper'service, as per manufacture guide lines at full cost, or a cheaper service where several things are left of the service list, . :duh:

So what Lexus are saying is that the car either gets its 'proper'service, as per manufacture guide lines at full cost, or a cheaper service where several things are left of the service list, . :duh:

I don't think much is different on the interim service......not much is done anyway, but the "major service needs looking at because, for example, the pollen filter is checked but not replaced so if it needed replacing it would add to the final bill and there are probably other things which would be charged extra if replacement was required.

Taken direct from the "Lexus Essential Care Pocket Guide":

Q: Why is the "Essential Care" service cheaper than a standard Lexus service?"

A: In comparison to the Standard service, price is proportionate and therefore cheaper.

I don't think much is different on the interim service......not much is done anyway, but the "major service needs looking at because, for example, the pollen filter is checked but not replaced so if it needed replacing it would add to the final bill and there are probably other things which would be charged extra if replacement was required.

Pollen filter is changed at every service (interim and full) anyway no? (you can get pollen filters cheap online anyway and it's extremely easy to change yourself). Does the Essentials major service include the rear differential oil change included in the standard full service?

Pollen filter is changed at every service (interim and full) anyway no? (you can get pollen filters cheap online anyway and it's extremely easy to change yourself). Does the Essentials major service include the rear differential oil change included in the standard full service?

No. Rear diff oil checked only as per the following from Lexus UK:

"In response to your query the Lexus Essential Care Service Plan differs from the standard major service. The Centre will be able to stamp the service book however it will be noted that the vehicle has had a Lexus Essential Care service rather than a standard major service.

The components covered in the Lexus Essential Care Service Plan for the major service are as follows;

Oil & Filter change (standard oil

Check & top up fluid levels

Check coolant strength

Check lights

Check brakes

Check steering

Check suspension

Check tyres & adjust pressures

Check body/interior for correct operation

Replace air filter

Replace brake fluid

Replace fuel filter (where fitted)

Top-up coolant

Check spark plug condition

Check air con operation

Wash & Vac

The centre may identify that the vehicle requires further work which is not included by the Essential Care Plan. If this is the case the Centre will let you know what it is that requires repairing/replacing and let you know of any additional charges you may incur."

Presuming that their Essentials schedule is a Major service every 2 years / 20k miles, they seem to be replacing the engine air filter more often than needed - which is every 4 years / 40k miles according to the official schedule (well, for the 300 anyway; I'm guessing the 450H is the same). Wonder what they mean by 'check spark plug condition' - would seem like a fair bit of work to actually take them out and inspect them!