Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 - Tell Me Everything And More Than I Need To Know!

Hi,

I posted on here a while back regarding getting one of these as a company car.

My situation has changed slightly and my overall business miles has reduced.

As such I'm considering a 52 ish plate LS430 with around 100k miles for my daily car.

I've researched and found that air suspension can cause issues on the premium pack cars and they're very expensive issues to fix.

Other than that gearbox oil changing at 60k and cam belts at 100k are important.

A/C pipes at the rear can corrode and be expensive but these are just on the premium pack cars (I think).

In a nutshell it almost looks like you're better off getting a 'non premium' car if you want to run one with the least risk of having it present you with an almighty bill at the end of the month.

What are your thoughts on this?

Are there any other 'common' problems I need to be looking for.

I dont mind getting my hands dirty changing brakepads etc but i dont want to be changing the gearbox 4 weeks after I buy one!

Thanks!

Jon

There's a recent post on here too about a headlamp ( one side only ) ballast ecu costing £600 to sort out.

I dread the day when I have to move away from a simple LS400 ! But will I ????

Malc

hi

Also need to check for

1)Misted windows - this is caused by the window delaminating therfore allowing moisture in

2)Corrosion around the boot lock and drivers door

3)Make sure the rear aircon works

4)Make sure all electrics work

5)Check for sticking or slow electric windows

6)Check stereo properly to ensure no blown speakers

HTH

regards

miq

It is also my personal opinion that too much is made of the supposed risks around the air suspension. It gets raised every time anyone asks about the 430. I know there have been some unfortunate experiences, and they have my sympathy, but I'm not convinced they are that numerous.

There are, on the other hand, a large number of very satisfied 430 owners.

Chris

This is an issue that probably interests lots of us, not because we're looking for 430s at the moment but because we know that, one day, it's the only car that will be able to replace our 400s. And by that time, the 430s will be quite old. Even now, you can buy an early 430 for less than a late 400. Personally, I'd be put off by any more complexity than is necessary, particularly as the air suspension is known to be an expensive fix, and when I've been browsing on Autotrader, the vast majority of 430s have been advertised as Premium Pack models.

Yes my garage agrees too! The MOT guy reckons that there's nothing complex about an LS400; just that they're made very well!

I bought mine thinking it would "see me out" as my last car; and it would if I wasn't going after a 'hobby car'.

In fact, I still might keep it!

With a dateless plate who would know it was 13 years old?

Series 4 LS400 with low mileage,full history.

I bought my 1994 over 5 years ago with 38,000 miles for a lot more than this.

Spend half of what you have to spend.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-LEXUS-LS400-AUTO-ICE-GREEN-METALLIC-NO-RESERVE-STUNNING-LOW-MILAGE-LUXURY-/260878966520?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cbd991ef8#ht_2327wt_1185

Wow, that's a stunner .... I suspect the final price might end somewhere @£3.5k though.

A rarity and probably now, a once in a lifetime purchase.

As I think ACLex's was back in June when I bought it. Lovely car.

Malc

WHY do people take photos of their cars IN THE SHADE?

It's not THAT hard, especially as it was a sunny day in those photos!

And the engine bay is rather dusty! (I like to keep mine clean-ish!)

I was thinking of keeping off eBay, but will watch this with interest. Looks good, and certainly lowest mile Ser 4 I've seen; thought mine was good at 89K!

At these posted values the bottom really has fallen out of this LS market !

But the LS430s with their quite over technical issues with age now showing, makes them so much more vulnerable to castrated prices than the last of the 400s which are just so simple technologically.

Just now there's another posting from that poor lady with the destroyed LS430 gearbox ........... never known the likes on a 400.

Malc

If mine doesn't sell, do I care?!!

Just back from little trip to Stroud (40 miles) to continue our canal walk concept there. just FLOWS up the M5 and glides around roundabouts....

Am getting a Citroen CX soon, so don't 'need' the LS, but am happy enough to keep it. It's too cheap!

At these posted values the bottom really has fallen out of this LS market !

But the LS430s with their quite over technical issues with age now showing, makes them so much more vulnerable to castrated prices than the last of the 400s which are just so simple technologically.

Just now there's another posting from that poor lady with the destroyed LS430 gearbox ........... never known the likes on a 400.

Malc

This issue of coolant leaking into the transmission fluid as occured on 400's and it as been reported on the LesUS site .I suppose it is a risk using this kind of intercooling but one of the contributors to the problem is corrosion in the piping within the radiator and this can occur when any coolant other than the reccommended Toyota red is used.Certain anti freezes have chemicals in them that corrode aluminium and certain alloys so the maxim as always use only reccommended fluids when replenishing or replacing whatever the reason.

Just seen a 1999-ls 195,000mls 12 month road tax& mot on e/bay for £1,000,I think my 97-ls must be worth zilch the world has gone crazy it's enough to drive you to drink.

shelldrake

What I don't understand is why it concerns you unless you intend to sell yours. The bombed out price of these cars is a golden opportunity to buy a car that with careful selection and care while it is yours will hopefully last you for the rest of your life.

I have owned mine 16 years and it is now 21 years old I saw one last week that is a month older than mine in better condition done only 70k and is a super bargain at £1200 .In fact the wife had to talk me out of buying it because its the same colour and I would have had it as my first car and mine as a second because mine as done 180k.

Anyone buying a second hand LS400 should treat it as a lifetime car until circumstances dictate otherwise I did 16 years ago and there is still loads of years left in mine.

I take on board what members are saying now about the 430/460 and its over technical problems and I agree but Lexus cannot stand still in vehicle evoloution or they would disappear as a marque.

Speaking from experience I believe that when Toyota's president told his engineers back in 1983 to build him the best car in the world and six years and a billion dollars later they produced the LS400 that achievement as not been surpassed and that is why I still have mine.

I thought mine would last me until my dotage too! (That is, if I recognise it?)

May still do so, and, if I had the space, I'd keep it no matter what.

Having a 'hobby car', as I'm thinking about, doesn't mean that I might not need something safe and reliable to go off in.

And we all know which THAT is!

I agree about the positives on the low prices. Just idly scanning the Bay listing starts you thinking!

Must be the best value for quality available!

Ambermarine--Thank you for that,I think you are so right,every time I take it out it still turns heads,I was told the other day whilst in a car park that it was too quiet for a car of it's age,as they couldn,t hear it coming.I am still amazed at the power of it,and I have had it for 4 years and done 20,000 miles in it.The good thing is, it has been converted to L.P.G.which saves a lot of money compared to petrol. cheers.