Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Remap - Standard Ecu - Big Difference

Qab

Hi,

This is probably my 3rd thread on LOC, however, i constantly use this website to get ideas and also research for my lexuss is200 2001. but today i thort id do a little thread explaining my ECU REMAP.

Recently i slammed the car right down on some diayama coilovers, and the guy who fitted these on my car told me his brother had a tuning shop which did ecu modding and remaps. alot of freinds and folks i asked said it was impossible to map an OEM ecu on the is200 but this guy was keen it was possible and said he did many times before so i thort id give mine a go.

anyways dropped my car off earlier 2day and about 2 hours later got the call saying the mod had been done. instantly i could tell a huge difference. normally the VVTI kicks in around 4 - 4.5rpm but it now kicks in much earlier at around 2.5 - 3 rpm. the engine sounds alot more cleaner and aggressive and the actual speed of the car has definatelly increased.

does any1 know how this could be done on an OEM ECU?

rgards Qab

as above id like to ask how he managed that??sounds like hes altered the vvti cut in point...also having it down at 2.5k doesnt sound too good..

As the guys above have said, I'd be sceptical about whether this is possible.

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not that the IS200 ecu 'can't be re-mapped' its just that because it's an intelligent system it will just learn new paramaters back over the top of the tune so it will 'wear off' the more you drive.

Would be interested to get a dyno done right after remap, and then another one in a couple of weeks.

Im still dubious it can be to be honest.

have you had a dyno done on it?

ive not had a dyno done to it, but i can defo tell a difference in speed. ive asked the guy who fit my coilovers on to get me some sort of proof; like a copy of the maps or sumfin to show what his done. i was pretty sceptical myself until I drove it.

as above id like to ask how he managed that??sounds like hes altered the vvti cut in point...also having it down at 2.5k doesnt sound too good..

might not sound good to you, but sounds perfect to me- havin it kick in just before 3rpm has made a sound diference

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not that the IS200 ecu 'can't be re-mapped' its just that because it's an intelligent system it will just learn new paramaters back over the top of the tune so it will 'wear off' the more you drive.

Would be interested to get a dyno done right after remap, and then another one in a couple of weeks.

what i was told was that the lexus will get quicker over the next couple of weeks, he said something about it having to adapt to the new remap. he also said put in premium fuel in for the next couple of days (shell v-power or something on the same line)and then go back to usual fuel.

ill drive it around for a month and ill let you no how I get on. I was thinking about taking the car on a track and recording the dash to see how quick it gets to 60mph. maybe then it would remove all the sceptical thoughts people are having.

Sorry about late replies have been at working all weekend and jus got time to reply.

Im still dubious it can be to be honest.

have you had a dyno done on it?

ive not had a dyno done to it, but i can defo tell a difference in speed. ive asked the guy who fit my coilovers on to get me some sort of proof; like a copy of the maps or sumfin to show what his done. i was pretty sceptical myself until I drove it.

might not sound good to you, but sounds perfect to me- havin it kick in just before 3rpm has made a sound diference

what i was told was that the lexus will get quicker over the next couple of weeks, he said something about it having to adapt to the new remap. he also said put in premium fuel in for the next couple of days (shell v-power or something on the same line)and then go back to usual fuel.

ill drive it around for a month and ill let you no how I get on. I was thinking about taking the car on a track and recording the dash to see how quick it gets to 60mph. maybe then it would remove all the sceptical thoughts people are having.

Sorry about late replies have been at working all weekend and jus got time to reply.

i am trained in these engines and having it cut in too early can lead to problems the cam duration isnt desighned to be changed for that long....

have you got the contact details and we can contact him ourselfs....also a remap doesnt get quicker through time.....also the standard ecu is self learning so any changes and the ecu will remove them and revert back to the standard map...

I didnt know that about it being self learning. But if it is programmed to revert back to the previous map, cant it be re-programmed not to? Or maybe put a chip in (piggy back)? Not sure at all, just making suggestions really!

I didnt know that about it being self learning. But if it is programmed to revert back to the previous map, cant it be re-programmed not to? Or maybe put a chip in (piggy back)? Not sure at all, just making suggestions really!

They can be piggybacked yes, although the results are still not massive.

I know some of the american IS300 guys who have used the SRT chip that comes with the SRT induction kit have to wire the ECU relay so it resets itself every time the engine goes off to stop it tuning out the map of the chip.

the only one i know of that works is the daztek chip but that didnt change the vvt cut

That's the same product I ended up at when I was researching piggybacking mine.

I've been told that it can actually be wired up to control the VVTi as well, so it does all the air to fuel, ignition timings and VVTi too.

So it's the equivalent of having a piggy back and a CamCon at the same time.

Although they haven't tried it, they contacted UniChip who said it could be done.

But I decided to wait before trying it untill I had my induction kit and exhaust fitted, which I have now done, so I might look into it again.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have just came across a company saying they can remap my is200 to 175bhp. Ialso thot it wasnt possible, im sure il be corrected if im wrong but u are all talking about how the remap above made the vvti kick in earlier but the surge at 4.5k is nothing to do with the vvti. Its a valve in the 'exhaust?' Or somewhere near opening and letting in more air, the vvti has nothing to do with switching cams.

Hi guys iv spent the past few years driving honda's and I know that with ecu chips piggybacking etc. it is possible to change how and when v-tec engages it was also possible to have v-tec not engage if below half throttle, it's a similar system to the vvti that our lexus uses. I would be interested to know what the mpg is like now and what if any chip they have used

Dean

Im pretty sure the vvti is nothing like the vtec system on the honda, as I mentioned above the little surge u feel in the lexus is a exaust type valve opening,nothing to do with the vvti,vvti is to do with the computer learnong ur style of driving to produce the best performane/mpg for how u drive,(i might be wrong)

I'm no expert so apologies if this is rubbish but ive read somewhere and I think it was Ormi who said it but you can apparently get the lift you get at 4000rpm (vvti, ACIS, whatever you want to call it) to kick in all the way through the rev range. I've noticed when overtaking it's sluggish until 4000rpm so getting the 'lift' all the way through the rev range would be good but I fear the MPG would suffer.

Im pretty sure the vvti is nothing like the vtec system on the honda, as I mentioned above the little surge u feel in the lexus is a exaust type valve opening,nothing to do with the vvti,vvti is to do with the computer learnong ur style of driving to produce the best performane/mpg for how u drive,(i might be wrong)

You 100% right Disco stu VVTi is nothing like Honda VTEC and does not kick in at a certain rpm. am surprised most guys in the previous posts where going on about it kicking in. VVTi is always on i.e the engine is always on 'cam' and it advances or retards the phase of the cam for best performance or economy based on pedal position and other factors. the kick whcich is felt is known as Acoustic induction control System, it just lets in more air by opening secondary intake manifold ports once a certian rpm is reached and that surge in of air gives that 'kick' effect.

http://www.lexus.com...odel=All#active

in a nut shell VVTi works by altering the time or duration the intake valves open, i.e either earlier or later and VTEC works by altering how far or low down the intake valves travel when it kicks in. they both achieve preety much the same goal. if VVTi cam advances and opens earlier and closes late, then more air will be sucked into the cyliders..if VTEC causes the cam to to travel down further at a high rpm, then more air will be sucked into the cylinders becuse the valve is travelling down further or staying down further than it should. by the valves travelling further down and coming up is called the 'Lift'.. VVTi does not lift.. VVTi helps build more tourqe in any rpm and VTEC helps build more torque in just high rpms hence VTEC's can rev to 8-9000rpm.

Toyota VVTi is Hondas iVTEC = cam duration phasing

Toyota VVTLi is Honda's VTEC = cam lobe changing

• Like 1

yes Chris not lift per say as lift technology is only in the Celica VVTLi but what you get is a broader torque delivery. so depending on how far Lexus has set the IS200's cam phase duration to operate, if your car needs e.g. 170NM of torque at 3000rpm when you instantly floor it for more power, it can program itself on the fly to achieve it or if it needs only 100NM of torque at the same 3000rpm when you just cruising for a bit of economy, it can program itsself on the fly to achieve it. hence toyota added the 'i' which makes it an intelligent engine. VVTi engines use one cam lobe. hondas VTEC uses two different cam lobes. cam lobe is like the metal piece which beats on the valve head causing it to move downwards to allow air into the cylinder. so honda VTEC's are not intelligent but more 'wilder' the reason why its not called intelligent is because its set to activate at a specific rpm so one (smaller) cam lobe operates within say 700rpm to say 5900rpm which gives it economy and the other more(larger) cam lode is set to activate at 6000rpm to 8000rpm which gives power. the larger cam lobe will beat down on the intake valves more aggresively causing the intake valves to travel down further. travel down further and more air gets into the cylinder. more air at high rpm = more power thats why honda can achieve 200-225bhp from thier Civic and Integra Type R's without a Turbo charger becuase he air being drawn into the cylinders using the VTEC technology at high rpm makes having a Turbo redundant plus no Turbo lag is experienced. VVTi's valves does not travel down further in other words it does not 'Lift' to allow more air. the valve lift is set at one specific angle and cannot be altered like VTEC becuase the engine doe not have that bigger or wilder cam lobe to beat down the valves agressivley but what it can so is the 'phasing'. which means the one cam lobe in the VVTi can move forwards or backwards. am not sure but one position is for advance which causes the cam lobe to beat on the valve ealier an early beat will result in an early open to allow more air. and as rpm is increasing, so is the phase of the cam adjusting itself working out the best fuel/air misture needed for more power or economy through out the rev range. below is a little video a bit boring but gives you the idea.