Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can I Get Gs300 Brakes On My Is250

bellaby

Hello. I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my IS250. 55plate. I have looked at the brembo option but it way to expensive. other big brake conversions look ok but are still near to £1000. I have heard that is possible to get bigger brakes from a GS model and put them on the IS. Has anyone had any experience with this or knows of a place i can get the parts/information??

Thanks.

Hello. I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my IS250. 55plate. I have looked at the Brembo option but it way to expensive. other big brake conversions look ok but are still near to £1000. I have heard that is possible to get bigger brakes from a GS model and put them on the IS. Has anyone had any experience with this or knows of a place i can get the parts/information??

Thanks.

The calipers and discs from the GS 300 Mk3 are identical to the IS350 calipers and discs, and although the IS350 hubs are slightly different to the IS250 they do fit, as I put them on my 2005/2006 IS250 SE-L in 2007 (as shown on the following pics). However, if you do then the standard IS250 17" rims will no longer fit, so you'll need the 18" OEM, or as I did fitted 19" non OEM.

Don't bother with buying the larger dustshields/backplate of the GS300/IS350 as they will not fit the IS250 hub, and the originals can be left on even though slightly smaller than the discs.

brakechange01.jpg brakechange02.jpg

regcalipers.jpg 09052008020.jpg

09052008022.jpg 20052008032.jpg

Thanks for the quick response Tango. So can i just buy the stock GS300 calipers and disks. Will there be any additional parts I may need.

A quick side note - Did you experience any problems with rubbing when running 19's on a standard 250. I know the ISF runs 19's but i think the archers are bigger to accomodate them. Standard 250's dont come with 19's OEM. From the pictures it looks like you have used lowering springs, did this also upset the camber angle (rubbing the inside tyre) I am going for the coilover option BR Racing coilover kit.

Thanks for the quick response Tango. So can i just buy the stock GS300 calipers and disks. Will there be any additional parts I may need.

A quick side note - Did you experience any problems with rubbing when running 19's on a standard 250. I know the ISF runs 19's but i think the archers are bigger to accomodate them. Standard 250's dont come with 19's OEM. From the pictures it looks like you have used lowering springs, did this also upset the camber angle (rubbing the inside tyre) I am going for the coilover option BR Racing coilover kit.

Apart from the obvious, i.e. brake pads, there's nothing else you need. I fitted stainless steel braided flexibles all round while I changed out the calipers, but the standard lines on the 250 fit so no need to change.

Why would there be rubbing issues by fitting bigger diameter rims?? The overall rolling diameter of the tyre should be constant, just bigger diameter rims mean lower profile tyres. I did increase the widths of both front and rear rims (8.5" and 9.5") so if you do similar it's necessary to buy rims with offsets to keep the centre line of the rim as near as possible to the OEM wheel centre line.

I dropped the car on an american specification EiBach Pro Springset which gave a 38mm drop on the front and a 25.4mm drop to the rear. Dropping the front more than 30mm will put the camber angle outside of Lexus geometry setting tolerances so with my springs it was necessary to fit camber adjusters to the front to bring the camber back within specification as there is only toe adjustment on the IS250/220D. The rear camber was of course OK without adjusters.

pic0138k.jpg pic0136.jpg

post21241118827.jpg post21241119060.jpg

I was unsure if maybe full lock created issued with 19's. Thanks for the advice. Very nice car by the way. Love the Cadoxton slate colour Im not normally one for black wheels but these go with the car very well.

I will post pics when i have them. Thanks again.

I was unsure if maybe full lock created issued with 19's. Thanks for the advice. Very nice car by the way. Love the Cadoxton slate colour Im not normally one for black wheels but these go with the car very well.

I will post pics when i have them. Thanks again.

No issues on full lock providing you have the correct offsets for the width of wheel. I had 235/35/19 tyres on the front on the 8.5" rims with +38mm offset. This puts the outer edge of the rim +13mm from standard with an extra 1mm on the inner gap. Anything wider than 235 would rub with this set-up. The rears had 285/30/19 tyres on 9.5" wide rims with +42mm offset which put the outer rim +42mm from the standard position and reduced the inner gap by -16mm, so it filled the arches better.

I don't have the IS250 SE-L now, having sold it to Cous3, but my IS-F is the same colour. Had the 250 from new for nearly 6 years and had both the 250 and IS-F for a year trying to decide which one to sell on. Cous3 has continued to modify the car, and it now has black pearl emblems, a IS-F style grill, and it looks even better.

The rims aren't black, they are colour coded to match the car. I'll admit the Cadoxton Slate we mixed up was a little darker, but like the car they can look black in different lights.

colourcoded4.jpg

I think getting a slighlty darker mix on the paint was a good choice. Even though it was a accident maybe.

Thanks for the info on the offsets. It will definately help me decide the correct wheels. Im not sure if you've had experience with this wedsite (www.madmotors.co.uk) but it seems to be the best price for wheels with tyres fitted.

• 8 years later...

What about it?, provided you don't have different size wheels on the same 'axle' then the abs system will be happy.