Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450H Battery And Engine Help

Hi

Just purchased mine and collected this week so getting to know the car.

My Battery indicator on the sat nav screen never shows more than 3/4 full. There are 2 bars that never light up even after a long motorway journey tonight

at a fairly sedate 65 mph.

I wanted to see how far i could drive on a full Battery charge today. On a flat road doing just under 30 mph i managed just under 1/2 mile before the Battery

was down to its minimum and the engine kicked in.

Does the above sound normal please??

My engine sounds like a diesel when it starts and ticks over, it does not get quieter when it warms up, is this a normal characteristic of this engine?

Many Thanks Everyone

Partial answer based on what I know from my CT :)

Charge level - the car will attempt to stay within roughly 20% to 80% of potential charge level. Going too low in charge or trying to squeeze too much in can lead to premature Battery wear, hence the 20% to 80% thing.

Think of a laptop, if it's on charge all the time the Battery won't be much good after a while. Now think of your mobile, the Battery on there is probably pretty good. The difference - the laptop's Battery isn't getting much exercise and is being kept topped up, the mobile Battery will typically be between the 20% to 80%.

Range on Battery only - that's about half what the CT can do, the difference will come in the differences between the cars (GS is bigger, heavier, faster). But it's also heavily dependent on consistency of speed and staying level. Half a mile's probably about right.

Diesel sounding - could be something that will hopefully go away after a good running in period.

Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your GS :D

Hi Sleepypeat

Thanks for the reply, my car has done 47000 miles so it has been run in. The engine rattle is quite pronounced

which is wht i am a little concerned. Its under warantee so i will see how it goes.

Thanks

Hi Sleepypeat

Thanks for the reply, my car has done 47000 miles so it has been run in. The engine rattle is quite pronounced

which is wht i am a little concerned. Its under warantee so i will see how it goes.

Thanks

Hi , mine is just the same in that it sounds awful when 1st started, worst for the initial 60 seconds but always sounds a bit raw, has done for the last 100,000 miles at least, no worse and no better over this period. Same Battery situation but mine now lights up 7 of the 8 bars but never the top one, Get it checked out but dont over worry this is a very strong reliable car.

Hi

Just purchased mine and collected this week so getting to know the car.

My battery indicator on the sat nav screen never shows more than 3/4 full. There are 2 bars that never light up even after a long motorway journey tonight

at a fairly sedate 65 mph.

Many Thanks Everyone

I was under the impression that the GS450h charged its batteries under braking etc. I would not have thought that motorway driving at a steady 65mph would have much impact on charge level. I would get the noisy engine checked out though.

Hey bud,

My batt sounds the same as yours, so pretty normal to only last that distance..

Re sound, the gs450h is not the quietest of cars when engine is on , this is especially the case when cold.... If it sounds like a diesel is220d get it checked out! It shouldnt be as loud as that...lol

Good luck with those stealers, sorry meant dealers ;-)

Hi Tom

Thanks for the info, will def get the rattle checked out at the dealer's. It does not sound as loud as the IS220D but i am sure its too loud for a low mileage V6 petrol engine.

Out of interest what do you average MPG from your car? I ask as i drive arround London and the M25 and am curious. Lots of owners seem tonreport 36mpg averages but the best i can get driving conservative

ly is 31mpg.

Cheers

Brian

Out of interest what do you average MPG from your car? I ask as i drive arround London and the M25 and am curious. Lots of owners seem tonreport 36mpg averages but the best i can get driving conservative

ly is 31mpg.

Cheers

Brian

If you check www.honestjohn.co.uk and click onto real life mpg. This gives mpg achieved by owners who have registered. Average 30.8mpg compared to Lexus "laboratory" figures of 36.7mpg. It gives the range as between 28.5 to 33 mpg on owners figures.

They are not "laboratory" figures ! I filled my 450h today at Huntingdon, drove down A1 & M1, round M25 out to Farnham on M3, then back into SW London, then home via M25 & M1 with one 4 mile jam, total mileage 212 miles with air con, phone charger, seat heater and fridge on, using cruise set to 80. Consumption for the day :36.3MPG Mine does it all day every day, better in the summer as it must burn petrol to heat the cabin in winter.

They are not "laboratory" figures ! I filled my 450h today at Huntingdon, drove down A1 & M1, round M25 out to Farnham on M3, then back into SW London, then home via M25 & M1 with one 4 mile jam, total mileage 212 miles with air con, phone charger, seat heater and fridge on, using cruise set to 80. Consumption for the day :36.3MPG Mine does it all day every day, better in the summer as it must burn petrol to heat the cabin in winter.

I wasn't disputing your figures but not everyone gets those figures. As far as the "laboratory" figures are concerned this is how the official figures are now obtained. I hope that the following "cut and paste" will be excused:

How to submit the fuel consumption of your Lexus to the Real Life Fuel Economy Register

1.Work out your average fuel economy over the last month. You can do this from your trip computer consumption meter average, or you can do it on a brim to brim basis.

To measure brim-to-brim economy, fill the tank to the brim and write down the mileage. (Be careful not to overfill diesels because of the danger of diesel fuel spillages to motorcyclists.)

Next time you fill up to the brim, write down the mileage again.

Subtract mileage 1 from mileage 2. Then multiply the litres on your fuel receipt by 0.22 to convert to gallons. Then divide the mileage by the gallons used.

GS450h 2005

Engine Official Combined Real Average Real Range

450h (official) 36.7 mpg. (real) 30.8 mpg. (real range of mpg) 28.533 mpg.

Submit your own real MPG: 4.3 V8 450h

Why the EC figures are so optimistic

The prescribed EC test is a lab test carried out to simulate a mix of different types of driving and arrive at combined CO2 emission and fuel consumption figures.

Because vehicle taxation in Europe is now based on CO2 emissions, manufacturers naturally optimise their engines to achieve the lowest possible CO2 in the tests.

This gives a correspondingly low fuel consumption figure. Unfortunately the relevant EC Directives prescribe that this figure and only this figure can be publicised by manufacturers, even though it is unlikely to be achieved by the average driver in real life conditions.

Imperial urban fuel consumption (mpg) (cold)

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of twenty degrees celsius to thirty degrees celsius on a rolling road from a cold start, ie the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km).

Imperial extra-urban fuel consumption (mpg)

The extra-urban cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists roughly half steady speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).

Imperial combined fuel consumption (mpg)

The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two other parts of the fuel consumption test, urban and extra-urban cycles, weighted by the distance covered in each part.

I got to say I was collecting quite a few points on my licence a few years ago so I signed up with the Institute Of Advanced Motorists, not only reduced my insurance costs by about 40% but improved consumption figures by an astonishing amount! think ahead and avoid living on the brakes.

My engine sounds like a diesel when it starts and ticks over, it does not get quieter when it warms up, is this a normal characteristic of this engine?

Many Thanks Everyone

Not trying to be alarmist but just noticed your car is a 2008. Some of these built between 2006 and 2008 had a recall in 2010 related to engine noise caused by broken valve springs. It might be worth checking if your car was affected and if so whether the work needed was completed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links