Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Control Your Iphone From Your Factory Touchscreen

maz786

If you are interested in connecting your Iphone to your standard Lexus is250/is220 (MM)so you can control your Iphone via your touch screen in your car then please watch this video. After watching the video if you are interested in this mod then please read on.

After a lot of research I have found a way of using the Lexus is250/is220 Screen to control you Iphone/ipod touch. This will display all your Iphone content and also play audio through you mark levinson speakers.

This mod allows you to use your whole Iphone interface on you cars screen. Heres a few list of things this mod can be useful for:

1. Have digital radio (tunein radio from app store)

2. Youtube on the go

3. Safari browser

4. Ipod music

5. TV Catchup

6. BBC Iplayer

7. Tomtom application

8. Games such as fruit ninja

9. Facebook

10. Around me application

11. Skype

To do this mod you will need the following:

• An Iphone that is jailbroken. (if you don’t know what that is look on youtube)

• An Iphone composite cable which can be purchased from apple store or eBay. Heres a link

(http://store.apple.c...oduct/MC748ZM/A) this cable will allow you to also charge your Iphone via cigarette lighter.

• Mimics module (this is the module that allows you to control the Iphone with you factory touch screen via bluetooth)

• Mimics module switcher type “A” (allows you to switch from Iphone to lexus controls for example Nav, phone, heater controls)

Both of the above can be bought from here

http://www.customgadz.com/store/

• Last thing you will need is Av out unit. This will add a audio and video input to your factory Screen, the unit i will be using is called Vais SoundLinQ2 SL2Vu-P4

The only places I found this unit is online US only. You Can sometimes find this on US eBay, here is 2 links where you can purchase this from.

http://www.installer...php?it=SL2VU-P4

http://www.vaistech.com

1st step to connecting all of this up is to take out the lexus multimedia system.

Here is a link on how to take this apart. This link also explains how to hack the sat nav and play video in motion. This will explain everything on how to take the unit out and on how to play video in motion (play dvd and have Iphone displayed while hand break is off). This is a vital step, without this you will not have video while driving which defeats the whole purpose of this mod.

This was posted by tim917 from clublexus

http://www.clublexus...hen-moving.html

Once you have done the Nav and video in motion hack you will have to take out the actual sat nav screen from the housing. And connect the mimics module to the screen.

The screen is connected by a ribbon wire. This will need to be disconnected and then connected into the mimics Type “A” switcher module. Then a ribbon wire needs to be connected from the sat nav unit to the type A switcher module. And then another ribbon wire from the switcher board goes to the Mimics Module. This then allows you to switch between the 2 (nav and Iphone)

Next step is to connect the Vais SoundLinQ2 SL2Vu-P4 Av Box to the back of the factory unit.

Next run the apple AV composite wire to the Vais SoundLinQ2 SL2Vu-P4 AV box and have the usb wire hardwired into the cigarette lighter to give you the ability to charge the phone while connected. Leave the wire in the centre arm rest for easy connection. Or have a custom dock made in the ash tray. (ash tray dock will prevent you from having your phone landscape. (but can be bypassed with jailbreak tweak called SBRotator)

The touch interface is interpreted by the mimics module and transmitted via Bluetooth to your Iphone. This means you will have to pair your Iphone with the mimics module via Bluetooth for you to have control of you Iphone through you factory screen.

You will also need to download the mimics application from cydia on your Iphone for the mimics module to communicate with you Iphone to send touch signals to the screen.

I have finally bought all the stuff I need to get this all fitted, I am now just waiting on shipment. Once its all completed I will post pictures and videos. For now I have attached few pictures of the parts you need.

If you wish to have a custom dock connector in your ashtray then this post might help on how to custom build one.

http://my.is/forums/...-inside-399260/

Mimims module ($175 without the touch screen)

mimicsmodule.jpg

Switcher board Type “A” $25

mimicsswitcher.jpg

Vais SoundLinQ2 SL2Vu-P4 ($340) including postage (import fee for me was £80)

vaisav.jpg

apple composite cable (£30)

Run the apple composite cable from the Av auxiliary adapter (vais tech) and leave the 30 pin apple doc connection in the arm rest and hard wire the usb power to the cigarette lighter to allow charge for the Iphone.

applecompositecable.jpg

If you wish to have a custom dock then you will need to

Use this cable on the Ash tray doc and leave female connection side in the arm rest

(30 pin extension cable (£5 from ebay)

30pinextension.jpg

And a dock. (£5-10) eBay

dockd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Iv received my Mimics module and the Av Converter for the Lexus is250

Mimics Module

img1764pn.jpg

Av converter

img1756b.jpg

Custom Dock for the lexus

img1751vv.jpg

Picture of dock working with TV via Apples composite cable

photofr.jpg

once all fitted will post a video.

• 4 months later...

hi, have you already made it work? i am really interested in this and want to build it in my lexus is250.

please give an update.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links