Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shamelessly stolen from another forum:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Seems that even having a blown dash warning light bulb will be a failure, as will removing the Cat, as well as loads of other things.

I thought it odd that this is to fit in with the rest of Europe. Does this also mean we will be able to drive around on bald tyres and have no brakes as seems to be the case in parts of Greece I have visited?

Seems that even having a blown dash warning light bulb will be a failure, as will removing the Cat, as well as loads of other things.

I thought it odd that this is to fit in with the rest of Europe. Does this also mean we will be able to drive around on bald tyres and have no brakes as seems to be the case in parts of Greece I have visited?

or a MOT every 2 years as in france ?

They are also going to introduce gas sniffers for us LPG motorists.

Mike

I thought that removing the cat already meant a fail?

And because this will take longer, the cost will rise.... as usual, nothing more than a revenue generating exercise for this government.

Edit: Assuming of course the gov gets a cut! :lol:

You are so right.

Have you noticed how now MOTs are just printed on what ever paper suits the MOT Station which means there are no costly security printing involved any more. The price hasnt come down though has it.

Ripoffbritain.

You bet your sweet bippy.

Mike

I MOT'd my honda fireblade this morning and was taken aback that it is just black print on a piece of ordinary A4 paper. Nothing official looking, and no "sticker" to peel off.

Just another way of getting more money from the motorists and giving us less for it.

I had an exhaust custom made for my Saab 9000 and the cat was removed and replaced with a short length of pipe-this enabled it to be removed and the cat put back for the MOT. never did refit it for the two subsequent MOT's it passed.

Cant see it adding more than 5 mins to the average MOT as decent inspector will be looking at the item already , and failing the badly modified /poorly maintained can only be good in my book.

Problem is it never finds those because they are never taken for MOTs in the first place.

Its just us poor law abiding motorists that get bashed again.

Mike

I put a Saxo in for MOT that I KNEW had a dud Cat (bits had blown out of it!) but it still passed. CATs are really unnecessary; lean burn engines/computer controlled engines work as well/better anyway.

Save the planet's rare elements!!?

(Put Cameron in a zoo then?)

There isn't a great deal of added items that will be checked as a lot of the things in the AA list are already tested. The warning lights that will be checked are surely all safety related and I find it hard to understand why anyone who maintains their car properly would object to there inclusion in the test. The MOT test is a relatively cheap annual safety check which, no matter the maximum allowed price, can be obtained from £20 upwards.

There isn't a great deal of added items that will be checked as a lot of the things in the AA list are already tested. The warning lights that will be checked are surely all safety related and I find it hard to understand why anyone who maintains their car properly would object to there inclusion in the test. The MOT test is a relatively cheap annual safety check which, no matter the maximum allowed price, can be obtained from £20 upwards.

Don't think many object to the MOT .

It's being told a pack of lies to get repairs done that were't needed, thats the objectionable bit.

I bet women drivers detest it every year,

If they have no knowledge of cars the MOT station can tell them anything.

What people object to is the sly increases in price that no doubt these new

rules will generate.

Ripoff Britain as usual, anything to rob the motorist, an easy target.

It's being told a pack of lies to get repairs done that were't needed, thats the objectionable bit.

rules will generate.

The money you pay for the test goes to the testing station not the government though! The fee charged is decided by each testing station provided they do not exceed the maximum laid down fee.

I think that the perception that lies are told regarding unnecessary repairs, whilst certainly more prevalent a few years ago, is relatively uncommon nowadays. The solution is to find a centre that you trust and use them each year. I think it also flags up if a particular testing station has pass/fail figures which fall too far from average but no doubt one of our MOT licenced members would be able to clarify that.

rules will generate.

The money you pay for the test goes to the testing station not the government though! The fee charged is decided by each testing station provided they do not exceed the maximum laid down fee.

I think that the perception that lies are told regarding unnecessary repairs, whilst certainly more prevalent a few years ago, is relatively uncommon nowadays. The solution is to find a centre that you trust and use them each year. I think it also flags up if a particular testing station has pass/fail figures which fall too far from average but no doubt one of our MOT licenced members would be able to clarify that.

rules will generate.

Well its true, you live and learn new things every day.

I had always wondered how some places were able to advertise they could do a car MOT for £20.

As for the paper MOTs Police forces now usung their computers on board their cars can tell instantly if you have all your documents in order so there is no need to have a piece of paper any more.

Mike

I have to agree,if you want to check your MOT it's there on the VOSA website,with insurance its AskMID.

If you tax your car online as I do these items are automatically checked.

I was once told by an MOT tester that if your ABS light was on constantly indicating a fault to connect it to your oil pressure warning light. The light comes on then goes off when you start the engine which is all that is (was?) required to pass the test :whistling:

Councils are legally obliged to provide their own dedicated MOT stations, so if you don't have a friendly mechanic, just go to one of those. There's no extra work for those guys in changing those brakes that "have only got a few hundred miles left on them love, lethal they are."

I was once told by an MOT tester that if your ABS light was on constantly indicating a fault to connect it to your oil pressure warning light. The light comes on then goes off when you start the engine which is all that is (was?) required to pass the test :whistling:

He sounds totally irresponsible to tell anyone that, whether or not it would actually work.If there is a system fault on brake system then it needs sorting out pronto, not hiding.

I have to agree,if you want to check your MOT it's there on the VOSA website,with insurance its AskMID.

If you tax your car online as I do these items are automatically checked.

This does not work in Ireland any more for the NCT test{MOT}Since last year they now count how many seconds it take each light to go out air bag , abs , oil , they all go off at different times no more wiring lights into each other or pulling out bulbs, but all good at leaset now we know every thing working proper,

My brake pad warning light is always on-when i had rear discs fitted at the Lexus dealer (before I found my independant mechanic) they told me that there is a break in the wire between the dash and the sensor. That makes sense as I can't make it go out by tripping the sensor as described on this site, and nor can my new mechanic.

As I check my car over each time it is washed (never less that once a fortnight), I inspect the pads each time. I rely on this method rather than a bulb coming on (or not) when the pads are low. So my car will fail the MOT even though I check my pads at least 26 times per year (an old habit carried over from my biking checks)

My brake pad warning light is always on-when i had rear discs fitted at the Lexus dealer (before I found my independant mechanic) they told me that there is a break in the wire between the dash and the sensor. That makes sense as I can't make it go out by tripping the sensor as described on this site, and nor can my new mechanic.

As I check my car over each time it is washed (never less that once a fortnight), I inspect the pads each time. I rely on this method rather than a bulb coming on (or not) when the pads are low. So my car will fail the MOT even though I check my pads at least 26 times per year (an old habit carried over from my biking checks)

The wire is most likely broken at the disc end, just check each 'wear' wire is not broken and join it if it is. The light will go out if there are no breaks in the wire

Then continue like me checking the pads by sight!

The consultation for a 2-Year MOT in the UK is already long underway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links