Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

220D Problems Between 2000 And 3000 Revs

philtan

I have a 57 plate 41,000 mile 220d. If I am in traffic moving constantly and the revs are between 2000 to 3000 at a constant speed the revs start to go up and drop un controllably, or until you increase the pressure on the accelerator or decrease pressure. Lexus say they cant find a problem as there is no error code aaaaagh. Anyone have or had the same problems please let me know as only had the car 2 months and starting to hate it already. Its not my first lexus but my fourth so its not as thought am not used to the type of car. Can anyone shed some light on the prob so I can get it sorted. Its also really slow on moving off and has to have alot of revs to get going. Heeeelp!!!!

I have a 57 plate 41,000 mile 220d. If I am in traffic moving constantly and the revs are between 2000 to 3000 at a constant speed the revs start to go up and drop un controllably, or until you increase the pressure on the accelerator or decrease pressure. Lexus say they cant find a problem as there is no error code aaaaagh. Anyone have or had the same problems please let me know as only had the car 2 months and starting to hate it already. Its not my first lexus but my fourth so its not as thought am not used to the type of car. Can anyone shed some light on the prob so I can get it sorted. Its also really slow on moving off and has to have alot of revs to get going. Heeeelp!!!!

Don't wish to be alarmist.. but have you checked the Head Gasket issues. Sluggish and requiring revs to move off make me suspicious. Take a look at the inside of the oli filler cap and the radiator tank. Is the water pinky colour and clean or are there oil droplets in there?? Hope its not this but check it out please.

• 2 years later...

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had a similar problem with mine but instead mine accelerated by itself and nearly went in to the back of a lorry. The engine then revved uncontrollably and then cut out seizing the engine! The engine was only 2 weeks out of warranty as had been replaced before but lexus wanted me to pay 110 pounds per hour to find the problem. Turned out it was the crank has seized as the main bearings had slipped because of the high revving!! Would of took around 10 hours to find this so imagine what the bill would have been!! I tried to complain but Lexus did not want to know at all.. Still not sure what the problem is as had engine replaced again in our workshop but now have another problem which im starting a thread on see if anybody has any ideas as i have now come unstuck!

• 4 months later...

Hi Stuart, on the weekend my IS220d 2006 also revved uncontrollably. Thankfully I was in neutral, as I was changing gears, so did not accelerate uncontrollably. I called the RAC, their best guess was turbo fail as a lot of oil was leaking, and they towed me to the Lexus workshop.

The Lexus mechanic just called and stated they cannot see any issues, save oil replacement and new Battery (not sure if this is related or just timely), and further the diagnostics showed up blank. Reading your thread I can see the damage the revving caused (seized crank), however, did you determine the cause of the uncontrollable revving?

I fear it will happen again, this time in gear and I too will accelerate. Perhaps it was a freak occurence but not ideal. Any views would be kindly appreciated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links