Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Breaking Keys

I know it is a known problem, but a second key broke in the ignition this Saturday. This time though there was no warning, no sign of any cracking in the fob casing the blade literally came out.

Wife was driving at the time, she couldn't get the blade out of the ignition. By the time I drove to meet her with the spare valet key, and get the key blade out the Battery was drained. So I then had a 3 and half hour wait for the RAC to come and sort out the car.

I find it extraordinary that Lexus want to charge hundreds of pound for new keys when we all know the transponder can be easily swapped into a new fob, and there is no need to recode the transponder/car. :tsktsk: :angry:

Not sure where you get the idea that Lexus charges "hundreds of pounds" for new keys from. I had two fobs replaced (cracked across the top ), blade and transponder being re-fitted - for my RX about three months ago at the Sheffield Lexus Dealer. £43 each, expensive for bits of plastic but not hundreds.

How did you flatten the car Battery?

When first key broke I asked at dealership, they quoted £150. The blade broke out of fob so cleanly when she was trying to start the engine it was stuck in teh ignition position, and she could move it back/out. So by the time I got to her and hour and half or so later the Battery had drained.

When first key broke I asked at dealership, they quoted £150. The blade broke out of fob so cleanly when she was trying to start the engine it was stuck in teh ignition position, and she could move it back/out. So by the time I got to her and hour and half or so later the battery had drained.

I would suggest that you go back to the dealer ship and tell them that fobs are available. I have extracted the invoice for the period in question into which this purchase fell (July 2011) and the descriptor is:

"3 button Lexus shel" (sic) and it gives a part number "ZTOY48". The unit price less VAT was £39.11. each. Apologies for the slightly lower price indicated above. If the blade is damaged then that might add to this price, in my case, merely both fobs were damaged.

No charge was made for the two minutes it took the Service Manager to transfer the instestines of both whilst sitting at his desk. Three screws hold the fob togther.

It would be interesting to see if they admit that they are trying to con you or blame a simple mistake. Then change your dealer!

A previous post doesn't seem to have appeared. Dealership confirmed that it is £125 per key with the transponder, but £55 each without.

£55 seems expensive but at least neither of these prices is the "hundreds of pounds" that you were speaking of in your first post in this thread.

A previous post doesn't seem to have appeared. Dealership confirmed that it is £125 per key with the transponder, but £55 each without.

£55 seems expensive but at least neither of these prices is the "hundreds of pounds" that you were speaking of in your first post in this thread.

True, but when first key broke, about a year ago I was quoted £125/150 for a new key. When second key broke I was naturally pi$$ed off facing prospect of paying what I thought would be "hundreds". It was only the Post on here that said he got keys cheaper than made me question, whether the price I had originally been given was correct.

I still think it is expensive, especially considering it seems to be a fairly common experience.

You could always go down this route and have it cut to match then just swap your electronics over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lexus-blank-Key-3-button-IS-GS-RX-LS-/120816639202?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item1c213b9ce2

Andy

Indeed so but the concern would be finding a key cutter who could could the key to the accuracy required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160572741772?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I bought the key above which folds making it look a bit more modern. Sadly the actual size is pretty bulky (imagine 1980's mobile phone)but in my opinion it looks a bit more up to date and the original transponder fits inside. I now use it as my main key. The length of the blade was longer than OEM, the first time I bought one the locksmith filed the top to make it the same size. Whilst it worked I discovered that the bulk of the casing meant it was difficult to remove the key as you need to push it in slightly whilst removing. I bought another blade and got it cut keeping its longer length. Outcome it works great. Some posters noticed the transponder was further away so did not allow the car to start. I find this is true but as the blade folds I just turn car on with blade semi folded so the transponder is closer to the ignition. Not bad for £7.99 with free shipping, delivery time also much quicker than quoted. FYI the locksmith I used didn't appear to have any special cutting tools ie laser, just normal key cutting equipment.

I have a 2001 RX300 which had three broken or taped up keys when I bought it six weeks ago. I got one of the folding type key cases from Hong Kong and cut down the blade to length. Preston Locks (in Tulketh Brow , Preston) was recommended to me by my local car shop and they used their computerised cutter to cut the blade, using the old key blade as a pattern. They also told me what the key number was so that any other keys can be cut without needing the old key. The bulk of the folding key was a problem I came across but I have got around that (sort of) by glueing a thickish rubber ring, cut to a C shape around the blade so the blade can be folded back, to the case. When removing the key, this lets me push the key into the lock to enable it to be turned past the detent. I since bought two more cases (two button ordinary ones) from Cambridge via e bay. In both cases delivery has been very quick.

EMDG

• 1 year later...

The black casing around my key is cracking, to I went to Lexus Leeds to get a replacement case (just the case, not the metal key itself).

They wanted £231.00

Metal key and reprogramming would be over £300.

I left giggling :)

I found a possible replacement off eBay. £5 inc postage.

Maybe it will work, width a try.

They take the mickey with keys dealers! If your key is working fine then just buy a case as you say from eBay. All the parts will move over, transponder etc. then you just need to get the blade cut at a locksmith.

£300 for what's gonna cost you a tenner! Absolute joke!

Damer, sorry to hear about this problem. I bet your wife was upset. Does anyone know if, when this should ever happen, whether there's enough of the key shaft left exposed to get the pliers on it ( from the boot) and get it out? Also, if there is, can you simply hold the black plastic bit near to the igniton barrel and turn with the pliers to get the car started. If you can, does the engine stop as soon as you take the transponder away?

Alan

The black casing around my key is cracking, to I went to Lexus Leeds to get a replacement case (just the case, not the metal key itself).

They wanted £231.00

Metal key and reprogramming would be over £300.

I left giggling :)

I found a possible replacement off eBay. £5 inc postage.

Maybe it will work, width a try.

The dealership is being dishonest. Lexus offers new plastic cases to which blade and electronics can be transferred for about £45 depending discounts you may get.

What happens if you lose the transponder key?? I've been told you have to replace or re-programm the ECU!!!!! at VERY considerable cost :doggy:

Don't know about the RX but on the MK1 IS If you lose your transponder key or "masterkey" then it's new locks, new ignition barrel, new ECU and new keys. This must be common as Lexus do it for a fixed price of £2000! :(

What happens if you lose the transponder key?? I've been told you have to replace or re-programm the ECU!!!!! at VERY considerable cost :doggy:

Don't know about the RX but on the MK1 IS If you lose your transponder key or "masterkey" then it's new locks, new ignition barrel, new ECU and new keys. This must be common as Lexus do it for a fixed price of £2000! :(

Krikey :shruriken:

Dies not seem to afflict the Mark 2 - produce any key to get a new key from scratch.

Dies not seem to afflict the Mark 2 - produce any key to get a new key from scratch.

That's good to hear as I want a mk2 next year. I guess Lexus learnt from their mistake :)