Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

pot hole crazy in the states!

i would imagine that yeah most of the roads are straight.. but alot of them are poorly maintained... plus those traffic lights will have you starting and stopping every few mins!

I would say the conditions are a little better than here.. but damn.. if i could do 350,000 miles here then that car has earnt it's crust!

Again the LS does it!

Lol - humour detector failed boys??? :whistling:

TBH - perhaps I am too blase - half a million miles is an achievment - no doubt about it! Just it is a big engine .... and when there are several ickle 1.6 VTECs in this country that I know of, with over 360,000 miles (one is getting close to 390,000 now) that are still on the original engine etc (but lots of new cambelts :D ) you start to expect it - which is wrong!

I must say - it looks in very fine condition for such a high miler!!!

Sorry, Sammy

Its the Pedant in me...

I've done near 3k in my Rex now and I can see it would go on for a long time. at last and engine that was made to be thrashed!

Er.... did I mention she may be for sale on Monday... :shutit: :offtopic::whistling:

Lol - you tart - never keep them long do you!?

(Am I refering to cars here......?)

Good advert though - was it a Volvo advert that once pointed out that something like 85% of it's cars were still on the road???? (I personally think it's cos the old duffers driving them are all still stuck in a one-way system or on a ring road!!) :D

Got picked up in an LS Taxi the other day.

The driver saw my Lex in the drive, (all shiny and sparkling) and asked how old it was.

I told him it was 18 months, and he told me to guess the age of his LS.

Looking by the condition of both the inside and the outside, it looked spotless, but as I guessed it was a trick question, so I said 4 years, thinking it was about 4 or 5 yrs, but maybe even 3.

7 years, he says, and just hit 180,000, miles he says...

Leather seats, and carpet like new.

Smoothest taxi ride I ever had....

And before anyone asks, yes I DID tell him about LOC.

Yep! Quentin Wilson drives one and did a feature where a 100K LS was as new.

Look after your Lex and It'll last a loooooong time. I intend to keep mine for about 10 years so I'm going to make sure everything is well looked after. I only wear my slippers when driving and feed and polish the leather every few months. By then it'll probably be illegal to manufacture gas guzzlers.

Re the Volvo: I was thinking about buying a 700 and mentioned the reliability to the dealer. He said they last forever but that's because the service costs a fortune. I suppose they would last forever if you changed all the major mechanicals every few thousand miles.

I'm told that on the US site there is a report of a million - yes, I said one million - mile Lexus - a Soarer not an LS400 but same motor. Considering that the Soarer is only about ten years old, the owner must have literally lived in his car and had it mobile most of the time!!

Is the Soarer not a Toyota??? :winky:

These cars just require the right owners ... then the advertising agents find them (used to be more common for these sort of adverts ..... less so now due to all those darned cynics....... like moi! :D )

1,000,000 miles in 10 years is a huge amount though.

I know a chap (Dan) who bought his new car in March (I think) 2002 and is now upto almost 90,000 miles and that is going some ..... he spends a lot of his day on the road but he has taken 16 months to cover 90k miles .... I dread to think how someone can cover 100k every 12 months - unless it has been used in shifts by more than one driver?

Does anyone remember the Nissan 200SX that was driven non-stop for years (just stopping for oil changes etc (obviously cooled sufficient to service) then back out again ??? It was done to demonstrate that the engine would still be fine after heavy use so long as the prescribed servicing was done.

I can't remember what the mileage was but they then stripped it down to check for wear and it was minimal - almost like new. (I think it was about 250k miles)

I have been in a taxi that was 8 years old and had 500k on the clock.. it was a Citroen too :yawn:

Obviously cold starts are what kill engines... all that expanding and shrinking metals and rubbers... plus wear through cold oil starts.

I knew of a lorry that did shifts and ran constantly 6 days a week and covered 900k... it was literally up and down the country every day

hmmm.... I did 47k business miles last year. and baring in mind my twins live 280 miles away and I see them once or twice a month at least. I reckon last year I did about 60 miles. I did it in the Lex, a CLK Merc, a T5 Volvo, a Range rover, an Alfa Sportswagon, and 2300 in a Cherokee Jeep!

I can hand on heart say, I would have chosen the LEx over all of them for comfort and reliability. I would not want a million mile Lex simply cos the interior would look tired. I have no doubt the engines are good for it though. Don't you still get a thrill from just how silent the engine is.

Lexus Sport, you must miss the refinement in that Cerbera.

I still want one but, on way home from Stoke on sunday on M62 ( at the top, just by where that house sits in the middle) there was a cerbera parked at the side of the motorway with the bonnet up and 3 people looking miffed. I just wanna be so rich I dont care when it breaks down, I really want one!

Loz

Mine in Belfast has 370,000 miles on it. The dealer had worked out the first owner had spent £65,000 on servicing & £78,000 on fuel over 12 years before I bought it 6 months ago for £2,000. It drives like a dream.

Alan

you jammy sod!!!

a £2k LS400. I'd be having that myself as a back up motor! Rather that than my CRX!!!

Imagine buying a car thart new cost £50k but over twelve years has had over £5500 spent on it a year to keep it tip top??

I love hearing about people this smart. It makes me kick myself for being such a dumbass when it comes to getting value out of cars. I am really gonna try and make the GS count though! its already earning its keep though!

Loz

It is my backup motor, I drive a Metrocab Taxi in the week so its my luxury for weekends or if I get a long journey I take the car ( what would you rather travel in !)

Alan :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links