Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is200 Tow Bar

Ok, go ahead beat me up for even considering it, however I need to have a tow bar, and notice there is one available for the is200 S and SE, but not the SPORT model.

Anyone got a tow bar ?

Anyone know why you cannot fit one to a SPORT ?

I initially thought body kit, but the standard SE and Sport have the same "rear" by the looks of the pictures and the few cars I have seen.

Well spotted about the LSD, however I cannot see that being a problem, in fact it could be damn handy for getting traction on a muddy lane.

All I can think is that its because the sport is lowered, hence it may ground out, or the towing hitch will be a little low. If this is the case, I will take the risk, as its for towing a car trailor now and again, and I should be ok.

Any other ideas ?

• 9 months later...
Towbar now can be fitted to a Sport, sport.

Thanks, I finally managed to get an answer from Lexus

I have had a response from the accessories department regarding tow bars on the 2002 IS200 Sport. There is one available it has a detachable ball. Peter also gave the following part number PZ408-C1552-00.

And the latest accessories brochure no longer has the restriction on Sports listed. Would be interesting to know why it was a restriction in the past though.

the manual actually says that it is not recommended to use the IS200 to tow anything btw

Hmmmm.....Interesting....

I've got a boat that weighs in at around 1000Kg and needed a tow bar for just in and out of the water and taking it a mile up the road to fill it with LPG every few weeks.

On the extras list stated an oil cooler is required on an auto (IS) if a tow bar is fitted.

I asked Lexus Guildford for a quote for the detatchable tow bar which I duly got but it did not include the oil cooler. I asked why not and was told "we have never fitted an oil cooler". I double checked and treble checked with them as I didn't want my warranty invalidated and they assured me everything was ok.

So how can they sell, fit and approve a tow bar and then say in the manual they recommend you dont tow anything :question::question:

Rick

mardibloke,

I've got a tow bar on my IS200 which I fitted myself. Something you might be interested in - I bought mine from the Lexus dealer but it is actually made by Brink so you might be able to get it cheaper if you buy it directly from them.

The instructions for fitting it came with a template that you can use to cutout sections from a rear-skirt as fitted to Sport models. I didn't need to do this since I have an SE.

• 1 month later...