Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi sohail579 and welcome to the LOC.

In my opinion (and if you search through previous threads you'll see I'm not alone) you should be looking out for an IS250 Auto :whistling:

Seriously though, if you go for the IS220d I hope you get a good one and that you're happy with it. I'm sure a diesel owner will give you some honest feedback.

There have been many reported cases of serious problems with the IS220D engine mainly head gasket problems. Lexus were I believe forced to repair these engines free of charge either with a 3/4 rebuild or complete replacement engine and even after doing this there are still alleged long term reliability issues with the engine.

If you are still thinking of the IS220D check the service history and the car over meticulously looking particularly for a rebuilt/replaced engine.

The IS250 is a completely different V6 engine and as far as I am aware there have been no reported problems with these.

if these engines are being repaired by Lexus free of charge surly that's a good point no?

Not sure about petrol do quite a few miles and re the other cars

Audi - wouldn't touch them know a friend who has a garage said most common car problem is with Audi engines.

BMW/Mercedes - Lovely car although for the money get a lot more bang for the buck with a Lexus & maintenance is really expensive too, have owned both so thought time for a change.

so if i find a 220d is there anything else to look out for? if its only the head gasket and it gets sorted for free i suppose i could chance it as no cars are with out problems? if i find one what do i want a repaired head gasket or one that not had any problems?

if these engines are being repaired by Lexus free of charge surly that's a good point no?

Not sure about petrol do quite a few miles and re the other cars

Audi - wouldn't touch them know a friend who has a garage said most common car problem is with Audi engines.

BMW/Mercedes - Lovely car although for the money get a lot more bang for the buck with a Lexus & maintenance is really expensive too, have owned both so thought time for a change.

so if i find a 220d is there anything else to look out for? if its only the head gasket and it gets sorted for free i suppose i could chance it as no cars are with out problems? if i find one what do i want a repaired head gasket or one that not had any problems?

Hi.

Most cars have problems? Not many need engine rebuilds...................

The advice is, don't buy a diesel. You sure you want possible problems with lengthy repairs and other issues? The lexus IS220 is rubbish. Heed advice, buy any other car, or buy the most excellent IS250, it's fabulous.

Hi Sohail

I've had my 220d se-l for almost 5 years with no problems.

If you are getting one, they all have vibrating rear view interior mirrors, comedy gearchange till you get it right and a useless 6th gear.You should get the top of the range model.

My better half has a manual is250, which is a far better car-drive it like a grandad & its quite economical (35+)

I've had is250 autos as courtesy cars and this would be the version to get. its a smooth, fast, comfortable car.

Don't get diesel!

My Father decided to get the 220d mostly because of a market flood reducing their prices after companies dumped them from their 3year leases.

The car has been nothing but trouble from day one:( to begin with the car only achieves 35-40 MPG for a diesel thats is pathetic considering BMW's offerings.

Furthermore the gearing is so frustrating, approaching a roundabout in second is a death trap. The engine is completely lifeless below 2000 revs so your a sitting duck on a roundabout.

Issues with the EGR valve leave the car in "safety" or "limp home" mode were the electronics limit the car to 2000 revs and 40 miles an hour quite a disaster if it happens on the motorway overtaking!

The noise! although the interior is well insulated once you step outside its depressing and downright stupid to have the noise of a tractor coming from behind the badge of a highly refined luxury brand.

Also the MASSIVE issue with the head gasket moving is a huge let down. Even if they fix it for free would you be happy driving with that in the back of your mind? a time bomb just waiting to go off at the most inconvenient time.

proper cars don't have diesel engines or shouldn't at least.

I own a 2004 IS200 petrol inline 6 and it is fantastic my dad still prefers to drive my car because of its quietness and smoothness he always gets out and says thats a proper car:) he is soon changing to an SC430 once I get over the age of 25 I'm going straight for an IS350:)

if you want economy lexus get a hybrid if you have ur head stuck in a diesel get a 320d DON'Tget the IS220d

even some of BMW petrol motors have better fuel economy than the 220

I originally went along to my local Lexus dealer with a view to buying a 220d. When I arrived the dealer suggested taking both a 220d and 250 auto out for a drive. Since I had enough time to do so I did.

I would strongly advise you to at least do the same before you spend your money. Also do some independent research of your own - the owners themselves are the best source of information.

It may be that the 220d is right for you. For me it was the 250 auto.

Keep an open mind. Buying the wrong car can be a very expensive and frustrating mistake.

Hey all

I'm looking to buy a IS220d around 2007/2008.

Please could you tell me what i should be looking out for?

Thanks

The IS 200D is not a bad car; but it is the nearest that Lexus have got to one and is certainly the least good car they have ever sold having a catalog of common problems and niggles which afflict many - although not all. You should choose the IS220D if you are desperate for the potential better economy, are easily pleased and don't mind a gearbox with ratios ill-suited to the engine. 170 BHP is achieved over a portion of the rev range so narrow that some never find it.

Don't like driving? The IS220D will reinforce this.

If totally wedded to getting an IS220D DO NOT in any circumstances have a test drive in an IS250 Auto. The IS250 is a totally different kettle of fish, particularly the Auto. Virtually no niggles/problems, better performance achieved with a refined drive in quiet luxury and fuel consumption which is not very much worse. I suspect it might be the same if driven as ponderously as the relatively sluggish IS220D can manage.

I bought an is220 because I thought it was a strong looking car and I had lusted after the marque for a while. (I had a Toyota before and my then other half had and still has a toyota)

I didn't know about any of the issues with the vehicle before I bought it as I did not know about this forum.

After 2 and a half years I have become quite disallusioned with it.

1)The diesel engine is not that efficient. I do mostly town driving but average only 34-36 miles per gallon. It is also particularily noisey

2)It is sluggish and recently I have noticed its not driving so well esp over the last couple of months. I keep looking for the fault codes to pop up (hopefully not!!)

3)The is220 is a dog in winter. It's rear wheel drive and will go no where. Its quite close to the ground being low slung. The traction control is useless and I think its quite dangerous in the snow and ice. I have recently purchased a set of winter tyres for the first time in my 25 year driving career at a cost of £600. I considered changing the Lexus before this and if the winter tyres dont make a difference then its going.

4)The key fob has locked me out of my car before now - not only could I not get in it, the keyless push button start would'nt work either. This seriously inconvenienced me and the AA man said that it was a known fault (the radio codes has somewhat magically undone themselves and I had to go through a right rigmarole to get them to reset - the only time I have genuinely wished for a key!!). When I phoned Lexus they knew exactly what was wrong.

5)Sixth gear is useless

6)The paint work is very very soft - just look at it and it will scratch

7) I hate the fact that the heating/air conditioning has a mind of its own - I will just be merrily driving along and the window gets blasted with the a/c (and I there never appears to me to be a reason why - e.g windows not misted)

8) I always go with Lexus servcing - and its expensive. Had two so far - one at £400 and one at £250 - had to pick myself up off the floor!!

9) Tyres are expensive and for some reason I have gone through 3 - relaced at a cost of £150 each (summer tyres)

10) That means since I got the IS220 I have spent over £1600 in service and tyres alone - I could have bought another car for that!!

On the otherhand :-

1)I like the fact that you can enter the car without having the keys to hand - useful for me as I have a large handbag!!

2)I love the heated seats esp in the winter

3)I like the fold in wing mirrors

4) I like my interior as its beige leather and gives a really bright feeling to the inside although as I have a horse I think I should have gone for black!!

So in general - yes I still like the vehicle, do I love it - no. Will I change it, probably in the near future - but not for a another Lexus

Diesels are not there for refinement! The diesel Lexus The only one in the brand was introduced for economy. it was the UK and European market that desired it it is not available in most markets around the world.

The fact that it was introduced for economy means that in actual fact it does need to be cheap to run Allan1.

all diesels are noisy its inherent in their design. the quietest diesel i have ever heard is the current diesels used in the latest Toyotas (its a fairly loud pinking rather than the normal chug)

Correction "Vauxhall" are you German Allan1?

The "True Essence" of the brand doesn't extend to its embarrassing creation the 220d.

Once the IS250/250h come out hopefully the diesel will be eradicated :)

Content removed

Edited by Guest
Disparaging remarks towards other members

The IS only makes sense as a 250 auto. If you want a smooth auto V6 it competes reasonably well with the opposition, particularly if you consider the toys/£ equation. It has plenty of faults but then so does the opposition.

As a diesel it is a mile behind.

Forget all this bollox about brands. It is a four door saloon made by the "upmarket" division of Toyota. If you like it buy it but if you are buying because you like the idea of owning a Lexus; get your best friend to give you a good shake before you go out to buy a car!

It is a four door saloon, there are plenty out there, Try them and judge them on their merits as cars. If you go into a car ownership experience thinking you need to purchase an extended warranty you either can't really afford to run it or should be buying a better/ more reliable car.

The point is that lot of european people like diesels, and is220 is more economical than the 250. Yes, its not the worlds best diesel, but it does its job well.

I can cover about 700+ km in full tank in my 220, with 250 you will be able to cover only half of that. In one year you can save a lot of money.

And is220 IS QUIET. It runs very smoothly and quiet. I dont know if its luck on just well serviced car, but i havent had any major issues.

I will never go back to bmw, audi or a merc.

If you are a diesel hater then there is nothing to talk about it anymore.

Cmon, its a lexus, its doesnt need to be cheap to run. Go back to Toyota.

35 miles per gallon is good enough for that power.

Its NOT NOISY, try an Audi or VW before you say this *****.

The fact that you are useless driving a rear wheel drive in winter doesnt make this car bad.

The fact that you cant afford proper winter tires means that you need to buy a cheaper car.

Keyless entry faults are not that common.

The sixth gear is ment for the highway not in the city.

Yes, the paint is soft. Use protective wax(good) or clearbra.

You cant use the heater, read the manual one more time.

The service is a bit pricey, but its a lexus, not a wauxhall. Usually you get good service for your money.

Generally I would say that a lot of pussies come here just to complain about minor faults and do not appreciate the true essence of the car/brand.

I have driven and owned many cars before and i can say that is220/250 is a good car, better than the competetitors.

Every car has its faults and problems, but they are minor compared to other brands.

Lexus has its common faults covered with extended warranty.

I bought an is220 because I thought it was a strong looking car and I had lusted after the marque for a while. (I had a Toyota before and my then other half had and still has a toyota)

I didn't know about any of the issues with the vehicle before I bought it as I did not know about this forum.

After 2 and a half years I have become quite disallusioned with it.

1)The diesel engine is not that efficient. I do mostly town driving but average only 34-36 miles per gallon. It is also particularily noisey

2)It is sluggish and recently I have noticed its not driving so well esp over the last couple of months. I keep looking for the fault codes to pop up (hopefully not!!)

3)The is220 is a dog in winter. It's rear wheel drive and will go no where. Its quite close to the ground being low slung. The traction control is useless and I think its quite dangerous in the snow and ice. I have recently purchased a set of winter tyres for the first time in my 25 year driving career at a cost of £600. I considered changing the Lexus before this and if the winter tyres dont make a difference then its going.

4)The key fob has locked me out of my car before now - not only could I not get in it, the keyless push button start would'nt work either. This seriously inconvenienced me and the AA man said that it was a known fault (the radio codes has somewhat magically undone themselves and I had to go through a right rigmarole to get them to reset - the only time I have genuinely wished for a key!!). When I phoned Lexus they knew exactly what was wrong.

5)Sixth gear is useless

6)The paint work is very very soft - just look at it and it will scratch

7) I hate the fact that the heating/air conditioning has a mind of its own - I will just be merrily driving along and the window gets blasted with the a/c (and I there never appears to me to be a reason why - e.g windows not misted)

8) I always go with Lexus servcing - and its expensive. Had two so far - one at £400 and one at £250 - had to pick myself up off the floor!!

9) Tyres are expensive and for some reason I have gone through 3 - relaced at a cost of £150 each (summer tyres)

10) That means since I got the IS220 I have spent over £1600 in service and tyres alone - I could have bought another car for that!!

On the otherhand :-

1)I like the fact that you can enter the car without having the keys to hand - useful for me as I have a large handbag!!

2)I love the heated seats esp in the winter

3)I like the fold in wing mirrors

4) I like my interior as its beige leather and gives a really bright feeling to the inside although as I have a horse I think I should have gone for black!!

So in general - yes I still like the vehicle, do I love it - no. Will I change it, probably in the near future - but not for a another Lexus

Allan1 - I take great offence to your post which is not only ignorant but based on NO FACTS

1) I was giving an opinion as asked by the original OP which I am entitled to do as I actually drive and own the model in question

2) I am an ADVANCED DRIVER - so wind your neck in

3) My winter tyres are PIRELLI SOTOZEROS - wind your neck in further.

4) I have driven for more than 25 years!

DON'T POST IF YOU CAN'T DO SO IN A GENTLEMANLY MANNER WITHOUT INSULTS

The point is that lot of european people like diesels, and is220 is more economical than the 250. Yes, its not the worlds best diesel, but it does its job well.

I can cover about 700+ km in full tank in my 220, with 250 you will be able to cover only half of that. In one year you can save a lot of money.

And is220 IS QUIET. It runs very smoothly and quiet. I dont know if its luck on just well serviced car, but i havent had any major issues.

I will never go back to bmw, audi or a merc.

If you are a diesel hater then there is nothing to talk about it anymore.

The IS 220 IS quiet(ish). The IS250 is quiet enough to hear quiet(ish) cars driving nearby.

For people owning their car rather than one the company supplies, I still think that if you are cash-strapped enough to need the economy of a diesel; then it makes sense to buy a Toyota or something with most of the toys but without the Lexus premium price.

I'm afraid I have the personal feeling that the IS220D as the entry-level version of the entry-level car in the Lexus Range, is an average car pretending to be included within the Lexus Marque's more up-market image. It seems to be for people who need to display a high-end badge on the cheap. The word "pretentious" may be too harsh but close. Similar to sporting a knock-off Rolex rather than a real Seiko to suit the pocket.

For the sake of balance, other types of IS 220D owners surely exist and I don't mean to offend them.

@Allan1 who says "I can cover about 700+ km in full tank in my 220, with 250 you will be able to cover only half of that."

Just to balance out here on MPG, I have an IS250 and even on regular commutes on a mix of B and A roads I get 640km (400 miles) on a tank.

If I do any long distance work then I can easily do 700Km + (435 miles) and have seen the fuel computer go as high as 40 mpg.

Thanks.

That statement is complete and utter nonsense. I can only assume you're trolling this thread.

It was ment monstly in city driving.

The is250 average is about 22-28 mpg. Your must have some secret hybrid engine to do 40 mpg on it.

@Allan1 who says "I can cover about 700+ km in full tank in my 220, with 250 you will be able to cover only half of that."

Just to balance out here on MPG, I have an IS250 and even on regular commutes on a mix of B and A roads I get 640km (400 miles) on a tank.

If I do any long distance work then I can easily do 700Km + (435 miles) and have seen the fuel computer go as high as 40 mpg.

Thanks.

It was ment monstly in city driving.

The is250 average is about 22-28 mpg.

Your must have some secret hybrid engine to do 40 mpg on it.

According to the on-board reading I achieved over 50 mpg in my IS250 SE-L on a run from home to Stafford, all motorway on cruise at 70-75 mph. It was a one off as I was leading my son in his 1.2 Corsa SXi on his way back to Uni. Normally a mix of urban and motorway averaged 28 mpg even with my usual heavy right foot.

My IS-F averages 23 mpg, but has been known to do only 4 mpg on a track day.:lol:

That statement is complete and utter nonsense. I can only assume you're trolling this thread.

DAZED - Couldn't agree more with your comment - I am not the only one that Allan1 seems to have upset. I hope the MODERATOR takes note!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links