Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Key And Transponder

Hi,

I purchased a used RX300 around 2 years ago. Lost my black key. I only have the 2 button as a spare . Unfortunately it is now cracked and I need a replacement. Can I programme a new master key off this key as per..

http://www.lexusowne...?showtopic=9509

Do I need the 3 button key to perform this? The current key performs all remote functions as well starts the car.

Andrew

If is programmed as a master key and it sounds like it is then yes or if it is just the casing cracked but the key still works you could buy an empty case with an uncut key then transfer your electronic guts to the new case and have the blank key cut locally.

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I thought I only had a valet key but realised these do not have a transponder so I guess your right. What is the difference between the 3 button and 2 button? I figure I should buy the 3 button and If possible reprogram using the method in the 1st post.

I was quoted £300 for a locksmith to reprogram the ECU with one master key, however my current key would be useless as I think it would not work with the ECU once the locksmith finished.

Do I have to get the transponder from a lexus dealer or are there aftermarket ones that are very realiable. Also any idea of cost as I do need a backup?

Andrew

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I thought I only had a valet key but realised these do not have a transponder so I guess your right. What is the difference between the 3 button and 2 button? I figure I should buy the 3 button and If possible reprogram using the method in the 1st post.

I was quoted £300 for a locksmith to reprogram the ECU with one master key, however my current key would be useless as I think it would not work with the ECU once the locksmith finished.

Do I have to get the transponder from a lexus dealer or are there aftermarket ones that are very realiable. Also any idea of cost as I do need a backup?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

the three button remote is for RX models with power opening rear door, if your RX does not have this feature and you have a black 2 button key, then it shoud be a master key.

FYI the valet keys are grey and do have a transponder otherwise the car would not start.

Andy

Thanks for all your replies.

So I do indeed have the valet key, According to Lexus Sidcup they told me it is not possible to make a new key/transponder from a valet key and told me £1000+ for new system (ecu). Is Lexus correct?

According to this artical (USA) you can do this from a valet key. http://www.ehow.com/how_7641569_program-key-using-valet-key.html So whay are lexus telling me you cannot make a new transponder from a Valet key.

I want to make a new master key as opposed to the valet key I already have.

2 options:

1, I contacted a locksmith and he quoted me £300 for the master key and reflash ECU ( not sure if my valet key would work again after he has done this?)

2. eBay a transponder key from the USA http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-4C-transponder-key-/220836548334?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336ae24eee £20+ VAT Get the key cut for around £15 and do the programming myself.

My valet key works fine as it stands, just need a backup solution.

Andrew

According to this artical (USA) you can do this from a valet key. http://www.ehow.com/...-valet-key.html So whay are lexus telling me you cannot make a new transponder from a Valet key.

This is something I have not tried as when programming from our computer we always do Master :blush: . Will look into this. :winky:

1, I contacted a locksmith and he quoted me £300 for the master key and reflash ECU ( not sure if my valet key would work again after he has done this?)

If he flashes the ECU there is no reason that would stop him from programming your old key as well.

2. Ebay a transponder key from the USA http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336ae24eee £20+ VAT Get the key cut for around £15 and do the programming myself.

Do not purchase from the USA as the transmitter frequencies are different from UK cars.

Andy

HI Andy,

Thanks for the heads up on US frequencies, certainly makes sense.

I guess I will pay the £300 and get the job done correctly 1st time.

Will they be able to make a master key from my valet key so it opens the boot & glove box?

Thanks again

Andrew

Will they be able to make a master key from my valet key so it opens the boot & glove box?

I doubt it as the blade cut is slightly different from the master.

Andy

If your key looks like this I may be able to help, this a a new recased key with transponder and uncut blade and you should be able to have it reprogrammed for your car.

It was purchased as a spare for my GS300 but never used.

19112011.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer, Mine is indeed the 2 button case however it's one button on top and one below.

I have 2 keys now so hopefully I will not be needing any more. I may ty at some point to get another blank/transponder just in case.

Andrew

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links