Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cloudy Headlights :(

JezaLexy99

As above ive got cloudy headlights...they were like this when i purchased the car so its not any solution or product ive used on them. And its not condensation either, no sign of any moisture in the units. Its almost like when clear plastic starts to 'perish'...they look dirty but its un-cleanable from the outside. So basically has this happened to anyone else..and/or does anyone know of any possible remedies?, id like some nice headlights again :(

wet sand, compound, several cuts of polish;) google will give loads or results on how to. if your too afraid of wet sanding lots of patience with the compound and buffer.

As above ive got cloudy headlights...they were like this when i purchased the car so its not any solution or product ive used on them. And its not condensation either, no sign of any moisture in the units. Its almost like when clear plastic starts to 'perish'...they look dirty but its un-cleanable from the outside. So basically has this happened to anyone else..and/or does anyone know of any possible remedies?, id like some nice headlights again :(

or you can try the meguires plastix on thge headlights and for extra quick results as above message and use the meguires plastix as the compound i have used it on all classic cras and have had good results as the layers build up it will get clear

I had this problem big time on my Soarer. Ultimately, the best option is to replace the lights. Depending on model, it can cost anything from £100 upwards. I tried many options for it including plastix and it didn't work. Best results I've seen on refurbing them is to separate them (oven job). When I had my own detailing business, I did trial a three part treatment which was significantly better than any of the others. Main tool though is patience and a good quality set of heads on a DA / orbital. Make sure you don't use a rotary though as the speed will build up too much heat and destroy the covers.

hi ive seen a topic on a forum about this someone used tooth paste on the headlights them use a damp cloth then finally wipe over a few times with tishue paper.but cannot remember which forum i saw this on it had a video showing how to do this.its was used on a ford focus in the usa.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem on my '03 RX300 about once a year, the plastic tends to go cloudy over time, I just give them a good polish with T-cut, only takes maybe ten minutes a lamp and they come up looking like new again......first time I tried it I thought the inside was getting cloudy too but after the polish it was just the plastic cover, they look great each time for another 6 months or so but then gradually go cloudy again.