Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi fellow Lexuns

Having recently had my LS400 mark 1 wheels refurbed for the third time the brake dust stains are starting to stick again.The previous methods of removal have all been poor including propriety brake dust removal foams and cleansers .This morning I tried some Sugar Soap and it is very effective. The trick is to apply it neat with a little water, it comes as a granular powder and you do not need a lot, apply to small areas on the lacquer and avoid getting it on the alloy surfaces on the rear of the wheel as it will damage bare aluminium .If you swill the wheel immediatly the residues will be washed away and any small amounts that have got to these surfaces will be neutralized.

,Happy Xmas everybody

I would make sure you have completely removed all traces of the sugar soap as it contains a sodium based chemical which can actually dissolve the alloys in the wheel particularly on the rear of the wheel.

Trisodium phosphate (TSP, E339) is a cleaning agent, food additive, stain remover and degreaser. It is a white, granular or crystalline solid, highly soluble in water producing an alkaline solution. The item of commerce is often partially hydrated and may range from anhydrous trisodium phosphate, Na3PO4, to the dodecahydrate, Na3PO4·12H2O. Most often found in white powder form, it can also be called trisodium orthophosphate or just plain sodium phosphate. Trisodium phosphate was at one time extensively used in formulations for a wide variety of consumer grade soaps and detergents, but ecological problems have largely ended that practice, at least in the western world. Substitutes are not as effective, but the raw chemical can be bought in bulk to add to underpowered detergents.

Actually I made that up so don't worry but would have loved to see your face whilst reading the above :D :D :D

Good solution (excuse the pun) I've spend pounds on useless "alloy wheel cleaners" only to find they don't clean!

I also bought some Autoglym alloy wheel sealer which seems to help.

I've been going to the same three hand car wash places in the works cara for the last year or so, and the alloys on them come out looking like new everytime with little effort. When I clean them at home it takes me ages to get the wheels sparkling the same, no matter what cleaner I use.

Just what do these hand car wash places use?

I've been going to the same three hand car wash places in the works cara for the last year or so, and the alloys on them come out looking like new everytime with little effort. When I clean them at home it takes me ages to get the wheels sparkling the same, no matter what cleaner I use.

Just what do these hand car wash places use?

Maybe just ask them ? ! and then tell us.

Malc

When you have your alloys in a clean condition use a good quality rim polish, I polish mine 4 times a year, then just regally use normal car wash conditioner and the brake bust comes of easy, my wheels are 40 month old. Funny enough so is the car !! :hehe:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/lexus4sale013.jpg/]lexus4sale013.jpg

Bilberry Wheel Cleaner used occasionally and Poorboys Wheel Sealant applied every three to four months keeps my IS-F wheels free of the dreaded attack from the ferrous content of the brake dust.

64340155788591119517154.jpg

and what happens if you do not clean and protect those wheels:

isf010.jpg