Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do you think of these prices:

Supagard Delux Pack. Includes Scotchguarding Seats\Carpets... £610

High Performance Warranty. 24 months on top of first 12 months free... £1870.

This on a 07 600h.

£610 for Scotchgard treatment sounds like a blatant extortion. One would expect the carpets and upholstery in a car of this class to be well-enough developed to be sufficiently forgiving already.

Also, any after-market treatment (particularly to the carpet) might give rise to an electrostatic problem. More research needed.

Well, this sounds like a typical Lexus dealership. They don't make a great deal on many sales of cars, and try other ways of taking your money. The price of the treatment will come down to about £300 if you say "no, sorry, that's just too much". Whether it does do any good or not I just can't say. I had it done to my 460 three years ago, and it still seems to be having a positive effect on how easy the car is to wash - though I can't say whether it's an improvement on how good the paint would have been anyway.

The warranty you're talking about I assume is a proper Lexus warranty, the one that lists the things that aren't covered, rather than the sort of warranty that lists what is covered? £2k is about right for that for 2 extra years. I've had one of those off and on for last 13 years on different LSs. (I buy year old cars, that have automatic warranty til they are 3 anyway, then have a few years with warranty). I suspect that without the warranty, I might have saved some money - but it does give peace of mind, does cover stuff, and when you have a problem (like one where a gps sender seemed to have failed, your local dealer is very happy to do a lot of dismantling to sort the problem, whereas if they weren't sure that they could find the problem or charge you for it when they found it, they might not be prepared to - so I'd not be without it. If it's not a Lexus warranty, you'll find that when things go wrong they aren't on the list of what is covered.

The other thing they might try on is GAP insurance. Better to sort that out for yourself if you want it.

Good luck!

Well, this sounds like a typical Lexus dealership. They don't make a great deal on many sales of cars, and try other ways of taking your money. The price of the treatment will come down to about £300 if you say "no, sorry, that's just too much".

Slightly :offtopic: but I don't think that you are being very fair here to single out Lexus dealerships. Over the years we have been offered this sort of thing on various marques both new AND used. I think that the majority of dealers want their sales staff to try to sell add-ons which they make money on and also pay commission on to their sales force.

Looks like I'll be giving Supagard\Scotchgard a miss. For peace of mind I will take the Lexus extended warranty. I have not been offered GAP insurance and I do not want it.

Lexus extended warranty is good cover. It includes diagnostics (or it covered it when I claimed a couple of years ago). I took out GAP insurance when I bought the car in May 2008. I got it privately. 3 years "return to invoice" cost me £112. Although your purchase cost was higher than mine it would probably not be a lot more. (Mine was for up to £15000)

Well, this sounds like a typical Lexus dealership. They don't make a great deal on many sales of cars, and try other ways of taking your money. The price of the treatment will come down to about £300 if you say "no, sorry, that's just too much".

Slightly :offtopic: but I don't think that you are being very fair here to single out Lexus dealerships. Over the years we have been offered this sort of thing on various marques both new AND used. I think that the majority of dealers want their sales staff to try to sell add-ons which they make money on and also pay commission on to their sales force.

Hi Dave. It wasn't my intention to pic on them! I was talking here about Lexus dealerships cos this is (I'm presuming)where Mick is buying his car from, and is one of the types of dealership I'm most familiar with. I know that other dealerships try to sell you extras along with your car.

Hi Dave. It wasn't my intention to pic on them! I was talking here about Lexus dealerships cos this is (I'm presuming)where Mick is buying his car from, and is one of the types of dealership I'm most familiar with. I know that other dealerships try to sell you extras along with your car.

Getting more prevalent too! If I need "extras" I buy from my own sources except I did buy a Lexus Extended Warranty......which did actually pay for itself (fortunately) headlight washer motor and relay, front bushes of some sort? Would need to check records to see exactly what.

What do you think of these prices:

Supagard Delux Pack. Includes Scotchguarding Seats\Carpets... £610

High Performance Warranty. 24 months on top of first 12 months free... £1870.

This on a 07 600h.

Not sure what you mean as to "High Performance Warranty" From that I assume that it is not a Lexus dealer supplying the car?

It is a Lexus dealership. High Perfomance Warranty is what they called it. I'm test driving Sat, if ok will take delivery early Feb.

I test drove one last Sat and my wife had loud wind noise on her side. She described it as sounding like the window was cracked open. There are long threads on the American forum about this problem. I'm hoping this one is ok. I expect to hear some wind noise, with the engine and cab being so quiet, but an annoying constant whistle is not acceptable.

It is a Lexus dealership. High Perfomance Warranty is what they called it. I'm test driving Sat, if ok will take delivery early Feb.

I test drove one last Sat and my wife had loud wind noise on her side. She described it as sounding like the window was cracked open. There are long threads on the American forum about this problem. I'm hoping this one is ok. I expect to hear some wind noise, with the engine and cab being so quiet, but an annoying constant whistle is not acceptable.

I hope you both really enjoy the test drive. Are you getting the car on a 24/48 hr test? I have driven LS 460 and GS450h but not the LS600h, but can imagine that it must be one hell of a car.

Could you find out what this warranty is since it is not listed/referred to anywhere on the Lexus UK website!

I'm testing it on their regular test route, takes about 45 mins, includes motorway and country roads. The warranty was explained as covering everything except wear and tear items, tires and the like.

I just hope there is no issue with wind noise. There is a 50mph limit on the stretch of motorway used, (J10 to 9 M5) I'll have to take her to J8 to get her up to 80.

I'm testing it on their regular test route, takes about 45 mins, includes motorway and country roads. The warranty was explained as covering everything except wear and tear items, tires and the like.

I just hope there is no issue with wind noise. There is a 50mph limit on the stretch of motorway used, (J10 to 9 M5) I'll have to take her to J8 to get her up to 80.

Insist on your own route, including possibly supermarket carpark/shopping centre with ruts, speed humps. If they don't let me loose unaccompanied I deviate anyway. I had 1 Lexus salesman from Coventry the other side of Stratford. I assume that the warranty is the standard Lexus Approved Used which is excellent.

If its the Cheltenham dealers you are at still.

The A40 to Gloucester (70mph dual carriageway) might be a better route than the M5 with all its roadworks.

Also it has some of that terrible rough surface designed to make more noise :)

When leaving lexus Cheltenham directly opposite is a small council estate , about 100 yards long with a load of big speedbumps.

Also the town center ringroad - the main reason I have my LS400 - the potholes are the smooth bits ~_~.

You can Scotchguard it yourself for a hell of a lot less than £600.

Warranty companies are in it to make money. They will try whatever they can to get out of paying. Besides, are Lexus really saying that there's a very good chance you'll have to pay out more than £2,000 in repairs to your new Lexus? That doesn't sound very clever to me.

Good point about the A40 Beavis. I know £2000 is a lot for two years extra cover Parrot, but I'm going to take it, as I hope to retire sometime this year and want the piece of mind. I could put the £2k to one side for possible repairs but I would rather pay now and forget about it.

You can Scotchguard it yourself for a hell of a lot less than £600.

Warranty companies are in it to make money. They will try whatever they can to get out of paying. Besides, are Lexus really saying that there's a very good chance you'll have to pay out more than £2,000 in repairs to your new Lexus? That doesn't sound very clever to me.

Its all about sowing the seed of doubt, security companies and insurance companies have done it for generations.

Mike

Well, Mick, you'll be paying £2k on a warranty that will give you a total of three years further cover, with the warranty you're already being offered, on a car that you're paying about £30k for. I agree that it's well worth it.

The way, of course, to recover this money is to haggle over the price, if you aren't part exchanging. There are plenty of cars about, so look to see what other dealers are offering, and just drop it into your conversation that you're in no hurry, and are prepared to travel to get the right car at the right price. Certainly I'd be aiming at £3k off, as you're not doing part exchange. And don't worry, you'll not offend them, even if they do splutter on about never reducing the prices of their cars. <wg>

Good luck!

But for most of us LS400 owners we don't even have a car worth £2000 let alone think that we would ever need to spend that sort of sum in repairs over a couple of years !! :tomato:

wot a lot of new emoticons choice now ! that's good

Malc

Well, I bought the car. One thing almost caused me to walk away - No aux in for MP3 playback! I have an iPad and Iphone, both with Bluetooth. I understand that they can connect to the car's BT, but the car BT has to be A2DP for stereo reception. So, is Lexus BT A2DP?

I'm not taking delivery of the the car until Feb 4 or 6th. I asked for the owners manuals so that I could get clued up before hand. Only the satnav manual was with the car, the owners manual was at another depot and will be posted to me when they retrieve it. I checked the satnav screen to see which gen it was. I thought it said Gen2. On checking the DVD map update site, the nag screen is the same as the Gen5 screen.

Witch gen is it likely to be, and is it worth upgrading to the latest DVD as this also upgrades the firmware I believe. Car is 2007 model.

Glad you liked it enough to buy it.....I'd love one but I would not take the car without ALL of the relevant books/manuals. It seems strange that the SatNav guide is present but not the User Manual for the car as they would normally all be together in a large wallet/folder.

Is the service booklet present and correctly stamped up including the original PDI stamp?

Glad you liked it enough to buy it.....I'd love one but I would not take the car without ALL of the relevant books/manuals. It seems strange that the SatNav guide is present but not the User Manual for the car as they would normally all be together in a large wallet/folder.

Is the service booklet present and correctly stamped up including the original PDI stamp?

Make sure they understand that unless all books and paper work as promised are there for your inspection before you take delivery there is no deal.

Mike.

Must admit I didn't check the service booklet. Will do before pickup. I wonder what the legal position would be if I refused the car, as I've signed the contract and paid a deposit.

The car was transfered from another dealership so not too worried about the missing user manual, if the original dealer has lost it they will have to provide another.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links