Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Companies - Robbers Or Victims?

My car's 17 years old this year !!!

And yes, the underwriters don't seem to be on this planet with this one ........ OR is this a sign of things to come maybe.

Malc

Have you tried Churchill?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm finally getting to the bottom of this fiasco. It turns out that a Group 19 car in my postcode is very undesirable to insurance companies even though I or my neighbours have never as far as we can tell have had any problems with theft or vandalism!

I took on board everyones helpful suggestions and tried loads of other companies with no luck with regards to premiums. Oh well I thought not a massive problem as I have my taxi to use so my LS is just a plaything for me that although i will miss her dearly I just can't afford to keep at the moment.

So I thought put her up for sale and just get tempoary cover for purpose of test drives etc.........guess what NO ONE will do temp cover on a group 19 car in my post code!!! How on earth am I going to sell her now...grrrrrrrrr these robbing gits are really getting on my nerves now.

She's a great car and I only want 500 quid for her but its starting to look like I'm going to have to weigh her in for scrap value which is only a bit under what I want. The thought of a scrappy taking her breaks my heart to be honest and I've only just serviced her too!!!

The insurance robbers in this country need to be taken to task as their greed is out of control nowadays, I wonder what the insurance company bosses bonuses are this year!

Sorry for the rant by the way, if any one needs a mark 3 as a donor car give me a shout, its got to be better than a scrap yard.

Well I'm finally getting to the bottom of this fiasco. It turns out that a Group 19 car in my postcode is very undesirable to insurance companies even though I or my neighbours have never as far as we can tell have had any problems with theft or vandalism!

I can't understand the insurance logic! Your car is not group 19.......it's group 48, whilst my 52 plate 4.3ltr is (fortunately) a much lower rating as a group 35. The relative repair costs make a nonsense of the way they reckon they work the groups out. Can you not get it insured under classic car insurance?

I can't understand the insurance logic! Your car is not group 19.......it's group 48, whilst my 52 plate 4.3ltr is (fortunately) a much lower rating as a group 35. The relative repair costs make a nonsense of the way they reckon they work the groups out. Can you not get it insured under classic car insurance?

It also makes a mockery as no matter how much your LS Mk 1,2,3,4 is damaged or worth they will right it off as beyond economical repair no matter what the damage, so their arguments on the costs are high because of the high costs of parts and labour hold no water at all.

Compared to insurance companies ***** Turpin was a saint and extreamly fair to all those he robbed.

Mike

ABS so why don't you become a part time Trader and insure all your cars for that £800 ........ problem solved ?

Malc

I don't think it is as easy as that geting Trader insurance I understand you have to show evidence of previous recent car sales and sell a certain amount of cars a year to qualify the same applies I think to applying for trade plates.

Group 48? I thought there was only 19 or 20 groups! I'm so confused, things used to be so much simpler!

There are now 2 grouping systems running side by side one is the 1 to 20 (ABI and Lloyds Register) as we all know, the other is Thatchams described below taken from the AA website

"Insurers may use the panel recommendations in their calculation of car insurance premiums but, as these groupings are provided as a recommendation only, they may choose to use their own groupings. Thatcham have recently introduced a new set of fifty groups, which they are using alongside the existing twenty groups in testing new cars. The move to fifty groups means that each model of car can be more accurately banded with similar cars. Some insurers are now using fifty groups in their premium calculations"

Thanks Steve that explains a lot. so either way I'm stuffed lol.

I think I will just have to accept I don't have the funds to keep legal insurance wise and stick her on eBay. Might even get more than I'm asking for now, fingers crossed.

I got a letter from my current insurer, A-Plan, just the other day, as my insurance expires in about ten days time.

"Your quote remains competitive at £2,400".

Once I picked myself up from the floor, I checked confused.com (yes, lazy I know), to discover the cheapest quote was about £1,050, and many more that were between that and £1,500.

So how A-Plan think that £2,400 is competitive is beyond me. They can be assured of exactly none of my business from now on.

£2400!!!

Thieving gits. I wish I knew how to get a campaign rolling against their profiteering from us.

I suspect they are clawing back money disastrous investments and from the floods and snows of recent years. Since its law we have insurance they just keep screwing us over time and time again.

They these personal injury claims add about £50 to a policy so why do we hearing from people that their premiums have gone up way more than that!

I smell the excretia of a large field dwelling quadruped!!

Good luck finding a more reasonable bunch of thieves Parrot.

£2400!!! Thieving gits. I wish I knew how to get a campaign rolling against their profiteering from us. I suspect they are clawing back money disastrous investments and from the floods and snows of recent years. Since its law we have insurance they just keep screwing us over time and time again. They these personal injury claims add about £50 to a policy so why do we hearing from people that their premiums have gone up way more than that! I smell the excretia of a large field dwelling quadruped!! Good luck finding a more reasonable bunch of thieves Parrot.

There are 31,035,791 cars (DVLA own figures cars only not Lorries Buses etc) on our roads so that rakes in £1551789550.00 thats over 15 billion £s, Its just pure B******s these theives are driven by one thing and thats GREED pure and simple and until the government bring this Legal requirement inhouse as Road Tax is then it will remain a licence to thieve and print money for these greedy theives.

The above figure is just what they take in the extra £50 they charge us for all these millions of accidents that are taking place and does not take into account the actual premium we pay and does not take into account premiums paid by lorries, caoches, buses and all the other vehicles that travel on our roads.

In fact the figures are so ludicrously high I am amazed that we are able to use our roads at all because if we are to believe the figures put out by the DVLA and insurance companies there must be so many accidents its a wonder we are able to drive anywhere at all as all the roads should be blocked by accidents.

You can see why so many people risk not having any insurance at all but then if your insurance premium is in the thousands wheres the point in having insurance in the first place?

Thats it I'm off to a dark quiet room.

Mike

Lol utilities, there's another thing being hiked up in price every time you turn your back. Haha I'm so bitter and twisted now I should be on that grumpy old men program!

Guys, check Aviva:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/40185edc

and Direct Line:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/70fd449b

Aviva are offering 15 weeks free insurance, and Direct Line are offering 20% off. I managed to get about £150 cheaper than confused.com - and Aviva couldn't care less about my LPG modification.

I'm going to check around again tomorrow, but I think I'll go with Aviva - Direct Line were about £20 cheaper, but they didn't have an option for LPG and frankly I don't want to give them an excuse on the phone to up my premium because of that.

LMFAO...... You have to laugh at the gall of insurance companies. I eventually found a company helped by Dan at Adrian Flux (They cant help apparently!!!) The company Hertsinsurance.com took my date of birth, postcode and car type and managed to come up with a quote. Thats right NO Name or claims history was taken, just the pish !!! They believe for temp insurance ie 1 day the price should be £60......yes £60.....I can see some reaching for a calculator right now........wait for it..........wait...........WTF how much............£21900 a year pfffftttt. Oh and to add insult to injury £1500 excess so if anything actually happened to the car, they wouldnt be paying LMAO.

Right thats it, I'm not paying £60 a day for people to have a test drive the car just isnt worth that much. They want 200 odd for a week 10000 ish a year less I know but still taking the pish, pure profiteering from the poor.

Onto eBay she goes scrap value is £350 so any offers I get over that I'm going to seriously consider. Keep an eye out for her or pm me if you need a donor car with loads of mot on it.

At least I will get back a couple of month Tax whoopi !!