Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 - Warnings?

Looking to buy a Lexus IS250 with circa 30k on the clock, it's a 56 reg. just wondered what I may need to know before I commit any known major faults with this specific year and model etc ?

Moving from a Toyota Avensis.

Cheers

30,000 miles is low for a fifty six, should be very little to be concerned about as long as it's not been abused. The auto is the one to buy as many on here would confirm, the manual box only detracts, strongly suggest you drive both to confirm.

30,000 miles is low for a fifty six, should be very little to be concerned about as long as it's not been abused. The auto is the one to buy as many on here would confirm, the manual box only detracts, strongly suggest you drive both to confirm.

Thanks for your reply, in actual fact it is a manual ... Can't see much on the net about them... Anything wrong with them reliability wise?

I'm not aware of any reliability issues specific to the manual. Be aware that the economy of the manual is slightly worse than the automatic and that pushes it into VED band L. Those few extra grams of CO2 will mean £445 a year rather than the £260 for the automatic.

I'm not aware of any reliability issues specific to the manual. Be aware that the economy of the manual is slightly worse than the automatic and that pushes it into VED band L. Those few extra grams of CO2 will mean £445 a year rather than the £260 for the automatic.

My advice would be to test drive both before making any final decision.

P.S. This forum upgrade is awful. It's reduced my PC to a crawl.

Th engine is smooth and quiet (a bit tappety when cold but this should go when warm) but has very little power at low revs. The auto box is excellent, suits the car and manages to disguise the shortcomings of the engine in a way that really suits the car. I would leave a manual well alone unless it is VERY VERY VERY cheap......and it's £460 for road tax this year. It is not a remotely sporting car and doesn't gain anything from the manual 'box.

Other than that there's the usual IS squeaky/rattly interior but if you can tune that out it's a nice enough car. Front discs/pads don't last long but they are not very expensive (if you fit them yourself!) - use it as a bargaining point.

Managing to get the model 56 plate for £8500 with SE L trim, 35k on the clock. Fair price? What is the mpg like on the car ? Moving from a 1.8 Toyota avensis from a few years (10) back so I guess more economical?

I have a 250 Sport Manual on an 06 plate. It's the best car I've ever owned. Goes beautifully, Handles beautifully. MPG around town is not great, but average 30 mpg overall. On motorways, if you stick to the speed limit you'll get around 35-37 mpg.

Hi, i remeber my brake disc went ( lipped) around 20k, so check if the disc , pad history, ie when change , if changed? otherwise might be a extra cost as soon as you get the car. If buying of dealer, check what warrenty they offering. full service history will be good, as 30k is very low, I've clocked 70k on my 06 auto and is still wonderful to drive. Hope this help.

Brucie

I have a 250 Sport Manual on an 06 plate. It's the best car I've ever owned. Goes beautifully, Handles beautifully. MPG around town is not great, but average 30 mpg overall. On motorways, if you stick to the speed limit you'll get around 35-37 mpg.

This post sums up what the vast majority of 250 owners on this forum think about there cars

Thanks for your help, I went today, an SE 1 owner, 45k on clock, perfect condition, IS 250 SE petrol manual...

Will I see a HUGE difference in petrol costs from a 2000 Toyota Avensis ?

By the way, one owner, lady, and full Lexus service history.

Thanks for your help, I went today, an SE 1 owner, 45k on clock, perfect condition, IS 250 SE petrol manual...

Will I see a HUGE difference in petrol costs from a 2000 Toyota Avensis ?

By the way, one owner, lady, and full Lexus service history.

Have to say the IS250 Manual gearbox is not the best gearbox in the world. The manual is also thirstier, has higher emissions so much higher Road Tax. The Auto is superb in every way.

How much do you think extra in regards to the manual, and I'm asking in comparison to my Avensis I currently have from year 2000? Not too fussed about the road tax to be fair.

Well, the Avensis 1.8 manual is around 175g/km CO2, whereas the IS250 manual is about 230g/km CO2. So, it would be reasonable for your fuel bill to be around about 30% higher with the IS250.

And I'd expect it to be at least as reliable as the Avensis - although if anything did go wrong it might me more expensive to fix.

That's alot of car for the money, but the price sounds about right ( i'm assuming it is an early 55 -56 Plate car) for a manual IS250 SE without the multimedia (even better if it does have the MM). Manual IS250's with out the MM don't seem to hold their value as well as the Autos with MM.

I was shocked at the price mine went up for ('07 Auto MM). Trade in prices were pretty consistent as everyone was just passing them on to Lexus dealers - maybe I should have sold privately but I think most buyers still want the comfort of a Main Dealer transaction with at least a year warranty. There's a lot to go wrong on a MM SE-L!!

...in fact, thinking about it; as these cars get older a lower spec manual might not be such a daft idea. The MM cars seem to suffer more with dashboard squeaks and rattles and it won't be long before any significant failures on the higher spec cars will come close to writing the car off.

Seem to have concluded that they seem to be relatively sound reliability wise and he mileage I've found to be perfect ... In regards to road tax for the manual the jump in price to buying an automatic seems a little high and pretty much levels the cost out for me. Shall I shoot for it? ... By the way does the 5+ warranty cover everything with Lexus? Is there a list online or something?

Cheers just so close to jumping for it.

Go on you know you want it! Sounds like a good deal to me.

I think the Lexus warranties are pretty comprehensive but read the small print and if in doubt ask.

I don't think this engine has a cam belt but a chain so not so many worries with gears and teeth but check to be sure.

I think the Lexus warranties are pretty comprehensive but read the small print and if in doubt ask.

I don't think this engine has a cam belt but a chain so not so many worries with gears and teeth but check to be sure.

Cheers can anyone shed any light on this? Also is the 6 cd changer mark levinson? Any way to find out ?

Cheers can anyone shed any light on this? Also is the 6 cd changer mark levinson? Any way to find out ?

Engine has a timing chain, not a belt, so don't worry about that. Don't know about the make of 6 CD changer if fitted to a non multi media spec.

Got myself a dilemma found another IS 250 which is automatic with the multimedia ML pack, same mileage at 49k.

So which do I jump for the manual or automatic any change in reliability? The auto is £9k and the manual being £7500. Which would you opt for? Would the 3 owners at 49k Miles put you off?

So in summary:

1st : IS 250 Manual

1 Owner, 49k mileage.

06 Registration

Full Lexus service history.

£7500

2nd: IS 250 Auto

3 Owners, 49k Mileage

55 registration.

Full 6 stamp Lexus dealership history.

Multimedia pack, parking sensor monitor etc, Mark Levison speaker system.

£8500

Both come with 1 year Lexus warranty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links