Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My lady currently drives a 2001 IS300. Orginally we bought it as a car for her to do some local driving, but currently, we also equiped it with our wintertyres and use it for weekend skiing trips (we live just an hour away of Isola 2000 in the Alps).

In order to have some more space, I am considering swapping the car for a 2002-2004 GS300.

Reason: Cheap and I know the engine (reliable)

Two alternatives I consider though and I would like feedback / thoughs / warnings / experiences. Thanks !

1. A GS430 Mk2. The extra power isn't of interest (other toys in the house for that) and extra fuel consumption isn't an issue as we do few miles. Only reason I'd get one is if I find a really good and sound GS at a good price and it turns out to be a 430 rather than 300.

Fear: Reliability.

2. GS300 Mk3. Looks that, if I spend £7500 instead of £3500, I can get a Mk3 GS. Sounds more modern, worried about reliability vs Mk2 straight 6 though. And as I would have an early model, I assume I'll have the teething issues.

Thoughts?

No worries on reliability with GS430 that I am aware of.....mine is Sept 2002 61k and drives like new. Lovely smooth V8 and superb autobox giving seamless changes.

The Mk3 appear to suffer from a variety of squeaks and rattles so I would be looking at Mk2.

You don't have the ability to fold seats in a GS or the rear armrest "ski hatch".

No skihatch in the GS ??

The rear armrest doesn't provide access to boot to allow longer thinnish items (such as skis) to be transported inside vehicle.

There is a skihatch in the Mk3 GS.

Are you buying in the UK or the continent? If the UK, consider Ireland for a Mk3 - they're going for buttons here. I'd be doing very well to get £4000 for my 2005 GS300 SE - if I could sell it at all!