Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Starts Fine, Idles Fine The Cuts Out

Hi,

I have recently purchased a IS220d on a 57 plate, the last three mornings I have started the car it starts first time perfectly then idles fine for approx 30 secs then dies. If I try and start the car again I can hear it trying to start and it wont start untill I roll down the hill outside my house.

Once it starts the second time its fine and I have no problems. After this its ok for the rest of the day if its left a few hours it starts and doesnt cut out, it just seems to be the first morning start.

I have only had the car 6 weeks with no problsm and this has happened only the last 3 mornings. I am not very good with cars but I am guessing its a problem with the Battery maybe?

On a side note will pushing the start button and rolling down a hill to get it started do any damage? I have never "jumped" a car that doesnt have a key?

I have tried turning everything off such as lights, car stereo and heater before I start and it still cut out after 30 seconds and seemed to be the same when everything was on.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

If it is starting initially and running for 30 seconds I doubt it is anything to do with the Battery as if this was faulty it wouldn't even start.

There have been some crazy incidences with interference making immobilisers do weird things so it may be worth parking your car in a different position for a night just to make sure, a long shot I know.

It could also be an air leak in the diesel injection system possibly around the filter area so during the night air is drawn into the fuel and as soon as it gets to the pump and injectors the engine will stop so check all connections for tightness along the pipework.

Do you have any warranty with the car?

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

If it is starting initially and running for 30 seconds I doubt it is anything to do with the battery as if this was faulty it wouldn't even start.

There have been some crazy incidences with interference making immobilisers do weird things so it may be worth parking your car in a different position for a night just to make sure, a long shot I know.

It could also be an air leak in the diesel injection system possibly around the filter area so during the night air is drawn into the fuel and as soon as it gets to the pump and injectors the engine will stop so check all connections for tightness along the pipework.

Do you have any warranty with the car?

Thanks for your quick reponse.

Yesterday the car was parked for 12 hours while I was working overnight and started first time and no problems.

When I set off today from home rather then let the car idle I started the car left it 5 seconds then set off straight away and again no problems, I dont like doing that as I thought it was best to let the car idle for a while and let the oil get where it wants.

The hill I park on outside my house is very steep so this may be a reason not sure I will try parking higher up where its flat.

I bought the car from a second hand garage but they did include a 6 month RAC warrenty but havent read what it covers to be fair. All I remember him saying was its a ex lease car from lexus and it has a full service history from lexus so he was confident that the 6,000 miles a year I do they should be no problems lol.

I am currently on my second of 4 nights shift so as long as I can manage the 2 miles to and from work for the next two days I will take it back and see what they say.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know these cars but if they have a lift pump in the tank it could be that that's a bit weak. First thing in the morning if you turn the key to position 2 (but not start the car) you should hear the lift pump engage sucking the fuel up from the tank to prime the high-pressure injection pump. When the lift pump is weak you can coax it into starting by turning the key to position 2, then off again, then position 2 etc, a few times in order to get the fuel out of the tank and up to the high-pressure pump before trying to start it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links