Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'd have advised peeking at Fuelly.com (I'm there dragging down the CT average mpg :innocent: ) but they don't have the RX450h listed.

But ... you're getting more mpg's there than the RX400h people :

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/rx400h

For a big vehicle, 34.5 is pretty good. It's more than I got in my ST170 :eerrrmm:

On a mixed commute with a bit of country road a bit of motorway and a bit of town I am averaging 32mpg. Getting a bit more since last fill - 34.5 but have to work at being really light on the pedal to get this up.

On a mixed commute with a bit of country road a bit of motorway and a bit of town I am averaging 32mpg. Getting a bit more since last fill - 34.5 but have to work at being really light on the pedal to get this up.

I can get about 34 mpg - but only on Super Un-leaded

Have never got over 32mpg half town half motorways.

Over last year have averaged around 26mpg.

Since its second service a fortnight ago, it is even worse - around 24 mpg

Lexus Croydon - I am losing all confidence in them.

Does anybody know why the mpg is so low and what can be done to improve it.

I drive it reasonably quick but not bonkers. Mostly under 80 on motorways.

i've only had this 10 plate RX450h a week or so. So far 32-34.5mpg seems to be where its at. My last car was doing 36mpg as diesel - so i make that about even when the cost of fuel is considered. but now i have, luxury, smoothness, quietness, lower tax, and a clean tail pipe.

Seems ok to me, after all, it is a big luxury car.

i've only had this 10 plate RX450h a week or so. So far 32-34.5mpg seems to be where its at. My last car was doing 36mpg as diesel - so i make that about even when the cost of fuel is considered. but now i have, luxury, smoothness, quietness, lower tax, and a clean tail pipe. Seems ok to me, after all, it is a big luxury car.

Big luxury car eh? At the moment I am wafting around in a 2006 BMW730LDSE, thats the long wheelbase version with all the bells and whistles, not my choice but I have the dubious task of selling it for a friend who has just emigrated to Oz.....this beast is giving 37.2mpg on my daily commute which is a mix of A & B roads in and out of towns.

Not too shabby I thought! Where as my own RX300 returns around 23mpg on the same route.......maybe next time around I will go for a BMX X5 or X3 diesel :whistling:

Remember you are only benefiting from a hybrid car when you are driving under 40 mph, so if you do a lot of motorway driving you are just running a heavy 3.5 ltr V6 petrol engine.

If you drove round London all week you will probably get better mpg than driving on a motorway.

Remember you are only benefiting from a hybrid car when you are driving under 40 mph, so if you do a lot of motorway driving you are just running a heavy 3.5 ltr V6 petrol engine.

If you drove round London all week you will probably get better mpg than driving on a motorway.

I do lots of motorway miles and am averaging about 31mpg so 26 seems quite low. Some suggestions :

1) my dad borrowed mine and didn't drive to optimise the hybrid - got 27mpg. Once I told him that he should keep needle in the eco range he got about 35 mpg. Once I changed my driving style the mpg rose

2) tyre pressures - mine are are 38 front and 42 back

3) sticking brake caliper?

4) using ECO mode?

I filled up at Heston (m4) and drove into Southbank in London and got 35.1 mpg so it is possible

i've only had this 10 plate RX450h a week or so. So far 32-34.5mpg seems to be where its at. My last car was doing 36mpg as diesel - so i make that about even when the cost of fuel is considered. but now i have, luxury, smoothness, quietness, lower tax, and a clean tail pipe. Seems ok to me, after all, it is a big luxury car.

Big luxury car eh? At the moment I am wafting around in a 2006 BMW730LDSE, thats the long wheelbase version with all the bells and whistles, not my choice but I have the dubious task of selling it for a friend who has just emigrated to Oz.....this beast is giving 37.2mpg on my daily commute which is a mix of A & B roads in and out of towns.

Not too shabby I thought! Where as my own RX300 returns around 23mpg on the same route.......maybe next time around I will go for a BMX X5 or X3 diesel :whistling:

yeah but the downside of that is you would become a BMW Driver with all the baggage that carries!! :shifty:

yeah but the downside of that is you would become a BMW Driver with all the baggage that carries!! :shifty:

Well thats true, but so long as when I am carrying the baggage back to my car in the airport car park after two weeks holiday I know the thing will actually start and not have a flat Battery, I can live with that! :whistling:

As an aside, I have discovered the 7 series has a switch in the trunk which disables most of the electrics, designed specifically for leaving the car for long periods without draining the Battery down to nothing, maybe Lexus should look more closely at competitors?

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Tyre 38 / 42 psi seems bonkers hard. Would make the drive comfort dreadful.

Eco mode improves mpg by about 1 or 2 mpg so not worth having with the added inconvenience of the aircon / heating switching off when it wants to.

Seems have to never go over max 65 or 70 mph to get over 30mpg with half motorway, half town.

• 3 weeks later...

Tyre 38 / 42 psi seems bonkers hard. Would make the drive comfort dreadful.

Eco mode improves mpg by about 1 or 2 mpg so not worth having with the added inconvenience of the aircon / heating switching off when it wants to.

Seems have to never go over max 65 or 70 mph to get over 30mpg with half motorway, half town.

no it is fine - those are the recommended so assume the car is set up to be comfortable at these pressures

As another update - I drove from Bracknell to Bristol and back at outside lane speeds and got 30.5 mpg

• 1 month later...

Just come back from 3 Day break in Norfolk approx 290 mile averaged 38.5 MPG on Motorway and Country Roads Eco Mode and Cruise Control

As far as I can see all the 17 replies so far about MPG seem to be just read outs of what the dials say. If this is correct then I hope Lexus has improved things since 2005.

Like other early posters about the original RX300 MK2 I found that the onboard computer is very unreliable. To get an accurate figure I calculate brim to brim over about 5,000miles. I've always done this and thought the Lexus would be just as accurate as my Golf & Passat etc. Not so! The VAG cars were accurate to one decimal place whereas the Lexus (mine at least) can be a whole 2 miles per gallon out.

I hope things have changed but I very much doubt it.

Alan