Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That ******* Knock

Ghosty

Right where to start i seem to have the dreaded knock with my 430 as many other have on the offside front. I have searched the internet for hours on the causes of the problem. I went through pretty much everything:

slide pin bushes and re-grease

changed the brakes

padded loose plastic in wheel arch

had lower ball joint arms replaced

alignment

had shocks checked

took off and re torqued heat shields on exhaust

I had Lexus check car over when ball joints were changed and all they noticed was that my cam belt needed doing. I checked the anti roll bar bushes the first thing i did but i am going to change them anyway. Does anyone know the cost from Lexus as online doesn't seem to have many sites offering them for the 430. If not do universal ones of same size fit? I normally dont care how much i spend but i just payed a fiver for each of the slide pin bushes i couldn't believe the cost.

is there anything else that people may know that can cause this noise. I have searched the internet so many times but its hard now remembering what i haven't seen. Only had the big girl 2 months all that needed doing was ball joints when i got her

2001 430 only 48k on clock 2 owners beautiful condition not a mark on her in that beautiful american bronze colour they all seem fond on.

sorry if i have posted in the wrong part of the forum this is my first post

many thanks just wait till it warms up before put car up on stands again, they look fine before with good tuck noting moved but damn these big cars. Been a Jaguar man before this owning X2.0D Stype 3L and Xj8 3.2 all of them pain when it comes to bushes and suspension

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, yea those front anti roll bar bushes are just shy of £25 each from lexus liverpool. Whilst on the car the old ones may look tight but when you get them off and line em up with the new ones you'll prolly see that the bore of the old ones are slightly bigger (due to wear). Worth a shot i guess, but £50 is a bit of a rip off when you compare the amount of rubber you get to say, i don't know, a tyre for instance!

Make sure your inner and outer track rods are all tight too mate.

Good luck ;)

Will.

I recently did the arb bushes on mine. This is the tutorial I did for the change http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=75279&hl=

If you contact ACLex on here (Lexus Pool parts department) he did mine for £17.66 + vat each.

well i have given up on Lexus UK and have ordered front and rear poly bushes including shipping from the US for 26 quid for the lot just ordered new shims 10 quid including postage so many parts out there online in america and most the time they work out cheaper to order from there. well that is if you can handle the 3 week wait for the parts

well new poly bushes arrived just after my post today only installed the front due to the cold and woow what a difference to the car feels so tight. made no difference to the knock so have new brake shims coming from US hopefully that might do it and i am pretty sure my front right caliper is sticking and has a collapsing brake line. so hopfully should be sorted in 2 weeks when everything arrives

• 2 weeks later...

right so now we have new poly bushes and 4 new tyres new brake shims from america and still i hear a knock. what have you all heard about a so called piece of rubber at the top of the suspension tower Lexus told me that could be the last place to check.

right so now we have new poly bushes and 4 new tyres new brake shims from america and still i hear a knock. what have you all heard about a so called piece of rubber at the top of the suspension tower Lexus told me that could be the last place to check.

What piece of rubber and what does it do?

Strut top mounts, a rubber cushion between the top of the coil spring and the bodywork

48609 SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, LH 48609‑30050 1 € 95.91 48603 SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, RH 48609‑30050 1 € 95.91

Strut top mounts, a rubber cushion between the top of the coil spring and the bodywork

48609 SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, LH 48609‑30050 1 € 95.91 48603 SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, RH 48609‑30050 1 € 95.91

Thanks Steve. Hope i never need one but all good info as usual.

thank you i think you are right i have been looking into aftermarket and all the america guys are saying best sticking with toyota parts. So guess when had cam belt done this will be next on my to do list just hate that knock knock knock

right had a look and you were right does anyone in the UK no about the american aftermarket parts for this mount. Also what is require is the part listed above everything you need or is that just the bush or baring.

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

thank you before for listing the part numbers i need, i was wondering if you knew if this part comes with or has a bearing. I didnt think it had a bearing on this but i found one on eBay and it stated that it does not come with bearing. so the fact seller lists it does not come with bearing must mean it should have one.

many thanks

thanks for post i doubt it could be this as have had new links and poly bushes installed and still noise. got new top mount it post hopefully this should be it other wise new shocks time

just to let all know knock knock F****** knock has gone changed drivers top mount now all is well no more knocking car feels more together. All i have to say is i never want to do that again. All was going good apart from upper control arm didnt want to pop its ball joint out, no problem just turned wheel and had enough room to remove the strut. The problem came compressing the spring, got the sprong compressed took mount off but getting it back on oooo fun. The spring although 11 years old snapped my first compressors hitting my hand in process, then went got some heavy duty ones couldnt compress to much because end of the bolt through the folks would hit the mount if i got where i needed. So had a friend who is a mechanic come round and he brought a massive compressor never seen something so big. Even with this it took us a long time to compress all the way so i was glad it wasnt me being me and we both struggled. I have changed springs on loads of cars before but never had this before.

Think i may lower the car just for the fact i dont have to compress that spring again. Ordered my top mount off eBay for 56 quid it was101 from lexus then rubber boot and gasket coming to 40 from lexus.

just to let all know knock knock F****** knock has gone changed drivers top mount now all is well no more knocking car feels more together. All i have to say is i never want to do that again. All was going good apart from upper control arm didnt want to pop its ball joint out, no problem just turned wheel and had enough room to remove the strut. The problem came compressing the spring, got the sprong compressed took mount off but getting it back on oooo fun. The spring although 11 years old snapped my first compressors hitting my hand in process, then went got some heavy duty ones couldnt compress to much because end of the bolt through the folks would hit the mount if i got where i needed. So had a friend who is a mechanic come round and he brought a massive compressor never seen something so big. Even with this it took us a long time to compress all the way so i was glad it wasnt me being me and we both struggled. I have changed springs on loads of cars before but never had this before.

Think i may lower the car just for the fact i dont have to compress that spring again. Ordered my top mount off ebay for 56 quid it was101 from lexus then rubber boot and gasket coming to 40 from lexus.

Thats nice to know its fixed. I'm beginning to suspect mine needs doing.

Glad you are finally sorted with it. Luckily for me, it was the arb bushes which was a simpler fix. Having said that, I have replacement springs in the garage ready to go on in the next few weeks, so hopefully I won't have as many problems compressing the springs :eerrrmm:

• 5 weeks later...

yeh my problem was the top mount simple order on US site to get all parts and fitted all sorted now i have the other side starting to knock very quietly so think will re torque top mount before replacing parts.

also if anyone knows where to get the lube that comes with new poly bushes i used silicone and made more noise thinking about using pagid cer tec brake grease as pretty thick stuff. just the grease that comes with these bushes seems to be like gold dust.

it is nice to be able to trust my suspension especial when the M3 next to you gives you a look to say how are you keeping up with me. Well V8 yeh thats right i have one to Mr BMW

Sorry I didn't respond to your earlier questions I was forced to go on holiday to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks and the internet access was a little hit and miss especially when trying to use a nokia phone on wireless, I can hardly see the screen nevermind read a web page on it!

Glad you have got it sorted out.

forced to go to a stupidly hot island where they have cocktails on tap??

wish my wife would force me places

If only everyting in life was "All Inclusive" Una cerveza por favor.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links