Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Difference In Engine Sound Ticking Over

I have an 06 plate is220 with 26k on the clock. Hard one to explain this but i will try anyway. Just recently i noticed the engine doesnt sound quite right when ticking over.

From start up until fully warmed up the engine sounds fine but once warmed up it sounds like (my best comparison i can think off) a bus when sat at the lights. You know when you hear the panels on the bus resonating from the engine.

It certainly isnt as loud as that, but thats the sort of sound the engine is making.

Rather than a constant tick, tick, tick, tick its more of a drrrm - drrmm - drmm sound. (Dont laugh :P ) its the best way i can describe it.

Other than this it sounds fine when driving, just when stationary at lights.

Anyone have any idea what it may be and if i should be worried about it?, Couldnt face any big bills at the moment so close after xmas.

Not a loose heat shield on the exhaust by any chance? Or a anything else loose under the bonnet that may be drumming against anything else. Lift the bonnet and take a peek.

Should not be, but

1. Silencer baffle loose

2. Cat problem (parts rattling inside) had that on a Nissan before.

3. Engine mounting issue

4. Exhaust touching the bodywork or very close anywhere along its path

Hope you find where its coming from. Share if you do.

Yeah, im sorry for the terrible explanation. Im sure somebody could explain it alot easier than me but hopefully i got my point across.

To be honest i havent really investigated it too much. It's definitely coming from the engine bay but i came to the conclusion it wasnt due to something loose partly due to the fact you would expect it to vibrate more when the engine was cold. To me it sounds more like the engine is choking and struggling to keep turning over but its not a dramatic as that.

The engine sounds fine until its reached temperature, ticking over nicely and then it sounds like its struggling.

I will certainly have a good dig about and check the things you mentioned, hopefully it is something simple. The car actually runs fine and picks up well so im not too alarmed. Just concerned if anyone knew what it might be and if i should get it checked out sooner rather than later.

Thank's for getting back to me :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look at a belt which rotates the generator, it vibrates?

Agreed, get the belt checked and everything that it turns checked too. It shouldn't take long to identify the culprit.

Don't chance it, something's up and you've got a chance to nip it in the bud before you end up stranded.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links