Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc430's- How Many Owned By Forum Members?

Fred Bassett

The SC430 was brought to my attention by 'Top Gear', who slated this vehicle due to is high initial cost, but subsequent recommendation from 'Jeremy', as a 'second-hand bargain'!!!

Of the 2,121 currently registered in the UK, how many are actually owned by forum members?

I was lucky to acquire a 2005 vehicle in Pearl Indigo with a modest 38,000 miles (unfortunately not fully enjoyed by previous owner due to I'll health).

Personally I try to use mine 3-4 days a week for the 'work-run'.

As I have yet to see another SC on the roads, I was wondering how many are actively used by forum members?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought a 2007 SC430 (Cadoxton Slate - that is metallic Grey to normal people) and am having a great time with it (:-} I am based near Amersham and there are a couple of other SC's in the area.

It goes in for a detailing session next week so I expect it will look really excellent.

Regards

MikeT

• Like 1

Very surprised to find a forum for the SC430. Have had mine for approx one month but driving limited to (a) collecting the car from Edinburgh and (B) a very brief run to keep the Battery charged. Initial findings as follows:

Ride poor - I have had several high performance cars during my driving lifetime and this is perhaps the most un-nerving. Any road imperfection will throw the car off track. I suspect that the problem can be traced to the very large alloys/tyres currently fitted (245/45 x 18 and 275/40 x 18). I will be seeking advice from the forum as soon as I have checked the wheels in more detail.

Comfort - not as good as as SL500 which has air suspension but a close second.

Finish - initial impressions good but await detailed inspection following first wash.

Yes I agree with earlier views that they are not common and that a sighting is indeed a rarity.

I look forward to posting more views and asking for advice soon.

PS. Anyone else with an Sc in North Yorkshire?

• Like 1

For me, I view the SC as a 'grand tourer' rather than a high performance vehicle.

Ride

I would not like to drive this vehicle on a 'track day', as it is more suited to the ordinary road and simple cruising. Although I find the ride rather 'boaty' and 'lumpy' at times, road imperfections should not throw you off course. Try bringing the vehicle back original specification - it might help.

Comfort

Maybe not as good as an SL500 or a Jag (both on my wants list), but the SC represent fantastic value and individuality in these austere times.

Whatever you do with this car, make sure you use and enjoy it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought today and yet to collect Montrose Blue/Cream interior 2004 '54.

Bought it because you don't expect to see many (any?) and then would you believe it I drove passed one on my way to look at the one I bought!

Now collected so officially an owner - 1 day in and loving it, I think I've pressed every button (couldn't get the seat memory to work at first but found the answer in the manual so all sorted now); it gets its full clean today and then I will be looking forward to some good weather to get the top down and start cruising.

• Like 1

Bought SC430 two weeks ago. Never saw one around, looking for rarity - then as above passed one on local side street.. Not seen again though. Still at stage of driving it everywhere!

Initial hiccough of intrmittent beeping, but thanks to trawling forum's, problem solved by putting air in tyres.

Good luck to all

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have had mine 430 Sc for about a month. Its a 55 plate but 2006 spec wth the 6 speed box. Use it once a week and for trips to meetings airport etc. Black with Ivory Hide.

It needs some attention to the paint work and its not been looked after the way I would do it so I am looking forward to improving its appearance. Howver it only needs superficial stuff apart from a new rear exhaust (one of the tail pipes is not good.

Never had a auto gear box before (and never wanted one either) but and this one is a revelation to me. Love it.

Looking forward to the summer if we have one !! But its good roof up or roof down. Just updated the sat nav to 2012 for a start.

• Like 1

Very surprised to find a forum for the SC430. Have had mine for approx one month but driving limited to (a) collecting the car from Edinburgh and ( B) a very brief run to keep the battery charged. Initial findings as follows:

Ride poor - I have had several high performance cars during my driving lifetime and this is perhaps the most un-nerving. Any road imperfection will throw the car off track. I suspect that the problem can be traced to the very large alloys/tyres currently fitted (245/45 x 18 and 275/40 x 18). I will be seeking advice from the forum as soon as I have checked the wheels in more detail.

Comfort - not as good as as SL500 which has air suspension but a close second.

Finish - initial impressions good but await detailed inspection following first wash.

Yes I agree with earlier views that they are not common and that a sighting is indeed a rarity.

I look forward to posting more views and asking for advice soon.

PS. Anyone else with an Sc in North Yorkshire?

Yes me.... Malton

• Like 1

I have had mine 430 Sc for about a month. Its a 55 plate but 2006 spec wth the 6 speed box. Use it once a week and for trips to meetings airport etc. Black with Ivory Hide.

It needs some attention to the paint work and its not been looked after the way I would do it so I am looking forward to improving its appearance. Howver it only needs superficial stuff apart from a new rear exhaust (one of the tail pipes is not good.

Never had a auto gear box before (and never wanted one either) but and this one is a revelation to me. Love it.

Looking forward to the summer if we have one !! But its good roof up or roof down. Just updated the sat nav to 2012 for a start.

Black and Ivory must be the best colour combination (mental note - should have opted for black!).

As I'm looking to update our satnav, would be obliged if you could update us where you got yours - Lexus, aftermarket, and the cost please.

As an afternote, the hood on our 'SC' during May was never up - pity the summer ended!

• Like 1

Hello

I looked at all the options to update the sat nav including Satnavi online but was put off by some reports that it was just a pirate copy. In the end I went to the lexus site www.lexus-mapupdates.eu ordered it from there. The price was in euros and as the exchange rate is quite good now it cost me £109 in full. Its the full set of all Europe 4 DVDs.

Works great. To my mind its worth the money.

Agree Black and Ivory is a great combination. buying a used 430 SC it isnt that easy to get the colour you want with so few around. Most I found were silver. So I jumped at this one. Had the roof down a few times now and my 7 year old daughter says its just like flying. She loves it.

Looks like the weather is only going to give a few chances in the near future but the good thing about the SC is its a good coupe (with the roof up) as well.

The weather does seem to have a real affect on how saleable these cars are. When I started looking for a 430 SC at the end of April there were about 24 of them on Piston Heads. Now its just 8 I think.

Black and Ivory must be the best colour combination (mental note - should have opted for black!).

As I'm looking to update our satnav, would be obliged if you could update us where you got yours - Lexus, aftermarket, and the cost please.

As an afternote, the hood on our 'SC' during May was never up - pity the summer ended!

• Like 1

Hello

I looked at all the options to update the sat nav including Satnavi online but was put off by some reports that it was just a pirate copy. In the end I went to the lexus site www.lexus-mapupdates.eu ordered it from there. The price was in euros and as the exchange rate is quite good now it cost me £109 in full. Its the full set of all Europe 4 DVDs.

Works great. To my mind its worth the money.

Agree Black and Ivory is a great combination. buying a used 430 SC it isnt that easy to get the colour you want with so few around. Most I found were silver. So I jumped at this one. Had the roof down a few times now and my 7 year old daughter says its just like flying. She loves it.

Looks like the weather is only going to give a few chances in the near future but the good thing about the SC is its a good coupe (with the roof up) as well.

The weather does seem to have a real affect on how saleable these cars are. When I started looking for a 430 SC at the end of April there were about 24 of them on Piston Heads. Now its just 8 I think.

I was also looking at the satnav site, but considering the cost from Lexus, have now opt for their original disc.

Much obliged for the info, hopefully new discs will keep me on the straight and narrow. :shifty:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a 2009 (59 plate) in slate grey with cream leather and only 14,000miles, very excited!! I don't pick it up for another month as I relocated to the US last year but I'm coming back so had to get myself another one as I had to sell the 57 plate I had in black before I left.

I love the car, wouldn't pay 60k for it when it was new but just picked mine up for 26.5k, you can't get many cars 3 years old with that mileage in its class that's for sure

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a silver 2007 model, bought from Lexus when it was a 6 months old demo car. They gave me a new-car warranty and do all the servicing. I'm pretty disabled, and although I drive every day it's only got just over 16,000 on the clock.

This is my ideal car -- wouldn't swap it for anything on the road. This from a previous owner of Mercedes SL series for over 20 years. I've been a gold member of the club for 3 or 4 years.

docrobin

Herts

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On washing my car last night (in-between the showers of course), I considered why after seven months of ownership, the only other SC430's I have seen, have been in a Lexus dealer, while the other in a driveway in the beautiful village of Groomsport, County Down.

Must be the reason why most of these cars have such low mileage - too many owners just don't drive these machines!

• Like 1

Just an update on having had the car for about 4 months now. I just love it.. Its been great. had the roof of many times recently including a trip to Bridlington with my wife and 7 year old daughter she loved it in the back and had loads of room. So thats another myth dispelled !! it has room in the back for some !!

My car is late 2005 so its the 2006 model with the 6 speed box never having liked auto I have now come around this gearbox is the best of both worlds. I cant fault it. In sport mode it allows great engine braking etc and is far and away beter than my sons BMW 335. Even he admist it and that wsnt easy. The only thing it does do is roll a bit on the corners and when the roof is down its abit back heavy. Howver it was never meant to be a sports car. Overtaking is so easy and the throttle response control is excellent.

I mentioned that I updated the sat nav with the genuine Lexus 2012 discs I am not too impressed with this. It only allows 3 figure post codes which is a pain and makes no sense.

It also is too focused on POI and fast food and tourist traps . Thats not what I use it for I dont expect many do. Trying to find an address is sometimes impossible and even though its supposed to be uptodate (and it is for many things) it often refuses to allow a particular address to be input even when you know it exists and has for some considerable time. Also if you choose the wrong route, say short instead of quick and realise it later the stupid woman will not take a hint and redirect you. It took 75 miles down the A1 for her to stop tryoing to take me off the main road at every junction.

The difference between short and quick was overall about 9 miles. One good thing is the sat nav can be operated on the move which I understand it cant on some 430SCs.

Speed well its fast and I cant see much difference between this and my Audi S4 which had supposedly 50 more BHP. Also the acceleration is brilliant particuallty 50 to 80+ and on if needs be. Fuel economy is unbelievable if driven for it. I dint buyb it expecting to save money.But..........

I travelled from Guildford back up to Yorkshire and averaged 30mpg and at motor way speeds (which are around 80mph) didnt go to fast as quite alot of traffic at the time. Getting 30+mpg is easily possible the car does nearly 80mph at only 2000rpm. Thats diesel revs !! In fact the diference between my 290bhp (supposedly) 4.3 V8 Lexus and my sons 340 bhp chipped diesel 335 tourer is not that great he gets around 35 -38 to the gallon (we work in gallons dont like the EU) considering his fuel is more expensive than mine how can diesel be more economical ?? it real life its very close. The real good thing is my 430SC is faster than the BMW !!!! Back of the Net. At 67 really should grow up.

Ps I think the reason we dont see many 430SCs around is there arent many to see... Only 2500 in the UK or so i understand. Thats nothing..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Couldn't believe my eyes, when after nearly nine months of ownership, I finally recognised an image in front of me.

After speeding up, to confirm this sight, I observed a beautiful blue 02 SC430 in front of me (driven by a lady of course).

Couldn't resist using my hazard lights when passing this vehicle to note this rare occurrence.

Glad to see these cars are actually used on the road, instead of parked on a forecourt or driveway.

• Like 1

I have 3 in and around Bournemouth that I see regularly. 1 of them is a friend of my next door neighbour, small world.

I also see one in Cove\Farnborough on my way into work.

• Like 1

I have 3 in and around Bournemouth that I see regularly. 1 of them is a friend of my next door neighbour, small world.

I also see one in Cove\Farnborough on my way into work.

Over the past year on our drive to Belfast, my wife and I always look out for the unusual and beautiful on the automobile front.

We have noticed quite a few Maserati's, the rare Bentley (no well paid footballers in area), with a few veteran Lexus's around to lighten the mix. No matter how expensive the vehicle may be, what for me is apparent, is how the pride of the owner reflects on the beauty of their chosen vehicle.

A beautiful vehicle always brings a smile to my face.

• Like 1

I live in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire and have owned my 2005 Black/Cream leather beast for 4 months now. Only use it at weekends typically but I still look for excuses to go out in it mid week.

I have the roof down every chance I get and just turn on the heated seats and the heating up high.

:eerrrmm:

Got rid of my last rattle by taking the door panel off and discovering a couple of nuts had come loose causing a tinny rattle every time I shut the drivers door.

Little bit of wind noise from the drivers window which I am still researching how to eliminate. Rear parking sensors need sorting as they stay on when I select reverse.

Got 30 mpg on a recent trip to Newport, Wales. Didn't buy it for economy, bought it because it is rare and luxurious. :hocus-pokus:

Has everyone else read the manual and worked out how to get the door mirrors to dip when you select reverse?

• Like 1

I think the trick with the mirrors is to move them to the extremes ie full right, full up etc to reset them and then when you set them with the seat position they will dip in reverse.

I to have the same issue with the parking sensors and was told to run a piece of paper inside the grooves to clean them out. Not got round to trying it yet.

Mine is Black and Black and I too only get to drive it at the weekends as the wife goes to work in it.

• Like 1

I live in Wiltshire and I see a blue SC430 most mornings on my way to work. Older fella driving it about 56-60 I reckon! It's in mint condition. Its a good looking car. I always thought they were slow, did not realise they had a 4.3 V8!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links