Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More On Egr Cleaning

bluenose1940

I am just about to have a go at the EGR on my 220d and wondered if anyone else has come across the EGR Cleaning Kit from BARDAHL. I came across this on another forum and so got in touch with the chap who sells it and, he got back to me with the following email :-

"Geoff, Thank you for your kind email. The EGR valve on most cars is an issue. Most people think that taking out the valve and cleaning it is the solution - it costs time and effort and cleaning substance and, 8 weeks later (I have done the tests) the valve cokes up again because the coke in the manifold moves around and settles on the valve. I used the cleaning kit on a valve that had already been cleaned and the amount of coke that came out was scary. It proved that most of the coke was sitting in the manifold. The BARDAHL EGR Cleaning Kit cleans the valve and the manifold, plus the rest of the fuel system. It is simple to use. I give a 100% guarantee on every product that I sell. I use or have tested most of them myself. I regularly visit the Bardahl factory and liase with the technical engineers"

The details can be found at http://top-oils.co.u...-kit-p-191.html

After receiving his email I contacted him and he was extremely helpful and he appears well informed on this matter. He told me that it was not necessary to remove the valve but just to disconnect the pipe connected to the valve. You then get the engine running at 2000rpm and then squirt the cleaner into the pipe at one second intervals and all of the gunge then starts to come out of the pipe. Obviously you will need a container or rags to catch the mess before it goes where you don't want it to. You then add the second part of the treatment to the tank and then you will see the difference it will have made. It is then just necessary to use an additive to your fuel at the required intervals to keep the system in good shape.

He also told me that he is currently working with a large haulage company that is using his additives and they are seeing a considerable improvemnt in their fuel costs.

As I say, it will be interesting to hear if anyone has heard of, or used this method.

Disactivate that **** valve ;)

If you deactivate the valve, where do the carbon deposits form then? Surely the engine doesn't stop producing soot just because the valve is no longer active so it would seem logical that it must accumulate somewhere else. I am a woodworker so I'm afraid that car engines are a mystery to me.

I am just about to have a go at the EGR on my 220d and wondered if anyone else has come across the EGR Cleaning Kit from BARDAHL. I came across this on another forum and so got in touch with the chap who sells it and, he got back to me with the following email :-

"Geoff, Thank you for your kind email. The EGR valve on most cars is an issue. Most people think that taking out the valve and cleaning it is the solution - it costs time and effort and cleaning substance and, 8 weeks later (I have done the tests) the valve cokes up again because the coke in the manifold moves around and settles on the valve. I used the cleaning kit on a valve that had already been cleaned and the amount of coke that came out was scary. It proved that most of the coke was sitting in the manifold. The BARDAHL EGR Cleaning Kit cleans the valve and the manifold, plus the rest of the fuel system. It is simple to use. I give a 100% guarantee on every product that I sell. I use or have tested most of them myself. I regularly visit the Bardahl factory and liase with the technical engineers"

The details can be found at http://top-oils.co.u...-kit-p-191.html

After receiving his email I contacted him and he was extremely helpful and he appears well informed on this matter. He told me that it was not necessary to remove the valve but just to disconnect the pipe connected to the valve. You then get the engine running at 2000rpm and then squirt the cleaner into the pipe at one second intervals and all of the gunge then starts to come out of the pipe. Obviously you will need a container or rags to catch the mess before it goes where you don't want it to. You then add the second part of the treatment to the tank and then you will see the difference it will have made. It is then just necessary to use an additive to your fuel at the required intervals to keep the system in good shape.

He also told me that he is currently working with a large haulage company that is using his additives and they are seeing a considerable improvemnt in their fuel costs.

As I say, it will be interesting to hear if anyone has heard of, or used this method.

I have had another couple of emails from the guy who sent the one mentioned above,(by the way, his name is Peter Trott M.Sc., M.IDM and he is extremely helpful) I have tried to copy and paste the emails but when I do it that way you can't see the message and so, once again I have reproduced them as follows:-

The first email he sent to me is a copy of one that was sent to him today by one of his non-commercial customers, a Mr Taylor, and he wrote :-

"The EGR Cleaning Kit worked very well though it does require the additiive to maintain performance and a smooth idle. The B10 seems to work much better than the Millers that I had been using, and I will periodically use the Common Rail cleaner also. Thanks for your help and guidance with this, I appreciate it."

The second email Which I have recieved earlier today reads :- "I see that you are in Exmouth which is somewhere that I rarely visit. If any of the interested Lexus owners are near St. Albans in Hertfordshire I would gladly clean the EGR Valve for them at just the cost of the product. I travel around the country to race cicuits most weekends providing oil suport to race teams and the Thundersport GB series, so would gladly do the same for anyone on my route. Regards, Peter."

I think that this offer demonstrates Peter's total confidence in his product and I for one would definitely take advantage of it if I lived somewhere near to his route.

I haven't yet had a chance to dismantle my valve to have a look to see if it needs cleaning. As and when I do, if it should need doing than I will most certainly give this product a go.

the right thread to have solution on the problem is "Blocking EGR valve". Go there and study ;)

For those of us who are very wary of the possible (unknown) long term adverse effects of blocking the valve, surely the use of a quality cleaning solution has got to be the safest bet.

the right thread to have solution on the problem is "Blocking EGR valve". Go there and study ;)

For those of us who are very wary of the possible (unknown) long term adverse effects of blocking the valve, surely the use of a quality cleaning solution has got to be the safest bet.

I can't honestly believe that blocking it is a good idea. If that was such a fantastic solution then I think that manufacturers (including Lexus) would have sussed it!!!!!!

I can't honestly believe that blocking it is a good idea. If that was such a fantastic solution then I think that manufacturers (including Lexus) would have sussed it!!!!!!

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments David.

• 1 year later...

Do you mean the mouth/port immediately below the EGR valve, ie that bit that is only visible when the EGR has been removed?

If you do I'd say scrape it with a flat blade screwdriver but have a Hoover in your other hand to suck away the crud as it is loosened.

• 1 month later...
Guest bigbullhead

An update on my egr cleaning I did it again today and gave it a good clean and also scraped out the crud in the inlet manifold that I could get out but the issue is what's inside the inlet manifold,I assume it's bad in there so my question is how easy would it be to remove the manifold and clean it with solvents??

Also I took my MAF sensor out and sprayed it with a electrical spray which is the best thing I did as since I have owned it it has never been so responsive even eclipsing the terra clean I had a few weeks it is the single most best thing I have done also I cleaned a breather from rocker cover to air filter so so far so good but as said above I want to clean my inlet manifold as a priority!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am a new owner of a Lexusis220d and would like toTRY?? to clean it.

So I have read alot of the posts and think I have got most of the info needed except,

How is the electric plug att to the valve disconected? I cant get it to move in any direction, Is there a trick to this?

please help.

If you haven't already found out, it should just pull apart quite readily. Squeeze the tab near where the cables attach and pull up.

Incidentally it is better to remove the Battery and tray to get the EGR assembly off, as the back bolts are a real pain if you don't.

The bonus is that this will reset the ECU. If you don't disconnect the Battery expect the car to take a few turns to restart after the cleaning process.

Downside is your electric windows may need a reset,which is easily done, and a guide is on here somewhere. But If I recall, if the windows aren't working properly the switch LED's will flash; go to each door in turn (don't use the drivers door master control) and press and hold each switch down until the window drops and hold it there for a few seconds. Then up and again hold the switch up. The LED on the window switch will stop flashing and the window will now operate normally.

• 10 months later...
Guest bigbullhead

Had a service at Toyotech salfords gatwick and found that they a parts washer to give parts like egr valves etch really good clean having had it done a week now thought would post results

The car is very responsive at 1500rph

The economy has gone from 35mph to 40mph

I was told that you should not see light though a gap on egr mine has a slight gap but short term the results are very good and until car stops performing I will keep this egr valve on

And with a new one I was informed economy will again improve and having cleaned at garage cannot be replicated by manual cleaning at home so will not do that anymore :)))

The gap will be the piston seating I would think.

Do you get a specific price for cleaning the EGR? Do they do the feed pipe to the EGR as well?

I think it was Bardahl that do a EGR wash through kit as well.

Good news on your improved mpg though :)

Guest bigbullhead

Bump think my part number I gave was wrong

Anyone give me the part number if I supply the vin as Lexus think you are going elsewhere so are reluctant to give it out