Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If You Were Looking For A Series Iv Ls400

My first (Ser 3) was grey too.

Agree value. "Value" unfortunately goes out of the window it seems. In Europe it looks as if cars keep their price much better. I think we're all part of an unconscious conspiracy in U.K. to keep car sales flowing? Good when you're buying 2nd hand though?

A bit like houses? Now we're stuck with house prices so high, no one can afford them unless they have London salaries (X 2).

As to mpg. LS isn't bad. I'm looking at a Nissan GT350 (3.5) V6 which is no better despite being a coupe.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody still following this auction?

It's now at £4,900, though I can't work out from the bid history how or when it got there, bearing in mind the bids showing on the 21st, how come it was still showing at £3,800 yesterday.

I much preferred when you could see the bidders name and check their history.

Classified seems to be a better bet these days, or go to a real auction and cut out the middle men.

Anybody still following this auction?

It's now at £4,900, though I can't work out from the bid history how or when it got there, bearing in mind the bids showing on the 21st, how come it was still showing at £3,800 yesterday.

I much preferred when you could see the bidders name and check their history.

Classified seems to be a better bet these days, or go to a real auction and cut out the middle men.

It looks like hes having real battle on his hands with the idiots that get some perverse pleasue from messing up anything they can.

The guy looks very genuine, hes not ducking any questions and is doing his best with the auction spoilers. It seems to me he just wants a genuine and fair auction.

The car looks better each time I look at it, and it looks like it will top the £5K hes hoping for.

An awful lot of car for the money.

Lets hope that whoever buys it becomes a member.

Mike

Is it possible that the seller or a mate is bidding to get the price up and and maybe make it look as though there is more interest than is actually there? Might explain "rejigging bids" earlier if they made last bid hoping it would go up again.

The trouble with this type of hidden identities auction is that you can never be sure who is bidding and its no use hoping eBay will police it to see if all are playing fair.

You could always ask eBay to check if the bidding looks OK to them.

You can have the same thing happening at real auctions where bids are left on the book and believe me there are plenty of auctioners that are not 100% honest with those and then of course you have phone bidders so you have no idea who is on the other end.

I think alot of people would like to see eBay become alot more transparrant as it always was when it began.

It dosent look wrong to me there is always going to be alot of interest in a car like this because they are so rare. It would be interesting to know how many watchers there are.

It looks as though he will get what he was hoping for and more.

Mike

Can't say I'm surprised, auction ended with high bid of £4,900 and believe it or not, reserve not met.

Sorry, but this one hasn't looked kosher from the start.

Seven more LS400 went on sale today according to my eBay email, bringing the total to 35 currently.

There's a low mileage Celsior for spares or repair among them, failed mot on shocker and headlight apparently.

I have been looking for a MkIV with lpg for a while now, as my '92 Mk1 is getting on a bit and I've had it for 3 years.

I was putting new leads and plugs on it last Saturday when I had a quick look to see if anything new was in, and saw this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220960914243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That was it, right colour, trim, service history, lpg, throw in fancy suspension units, a new gps that uses the built in screen, and a parrot phone thingie.

It had been on for 2 hours, and it was what I wanted, so I bought it.

Bit pricey at first view, but well looked after and extra toys,

Going down to get it this Friday, back home with it Monday (via London visit)

I will let you know how it goes...

The new plugs and leads made a big difference, plus it's stoped the manifold blowing up.- one lead was intermitent open cct and the plugs all had a gap over 1mm

I have been looking for a MkIV with lpg for a while now, as my '92 Mk1 is getting on a bit and I've had it for 3 years.

I was putting new leads and plugs on it last Saturday when I had a quick look to see if anything new was in, and saw this

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

That was it, right colour, trim, service history, lpg, throw in fancy suspension units, a new gps that uses the built in screen, and a parrot phone thingie.

The new plugs and leads made a big difference, plus it's stoped the manifold blowing up.- one lead was intermitent open cct and the plugs all had a gap over 1mm

Looks like a great car, just make sure that you get an LPG certificate as your insurance may refuse to insure it unless you do.

Same colour as mine, they realy look great all nice and clean and shiny.

Lets us know how you get on.

Mike

I saw this one come and go!

You didn't hang around did you?

Agreed it's a bit pricey at first glance, but sounds to have been very well cared for, and you'd have payed a shedload more to do all the mods yourself.

Love the wheels, did you go for the spare set as well?

Iv'e swithered over quite a few, for a good while now, and that one ticked all the boxes and then some. It wasn't an auction, and I wasn't about to see someone else snatch it!

I'm only impulsive after giving it a lot of thought.

Yes nice 17" wheels, I have never had 2 sets of wheels, my first thoughts are to not spend the extra money- unless I can get them for less than the price of the tyres....

I'm only impulsive after a it a lot of thought.

Thats brilliant not heard that one before.

When you pick her up its stright home no going the long way round or going in the opposite direction for a couple of hundred miles before you realise your going in the wrong direction.

Mike

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

Looks like a great car, just make sure that you get an LPG certificate as your insurance may refuse to insure it unless you do.

Same colour as mine, they realy look great all nice and clean and shiny.

Lets us know how you get on.

Mike

I'll resurect this long subject to finish it off, I got on very well, thank you, bit of a journey to collect the car, but wonderful run home!

It was everything it was advertised as, it's had £6k spent on her over the last few years, so I don't mind paying over the odds! I did indeed get the LPG cert. and needed it for the insurance. Brilliant car, well worth the effort to collect, anyone else thinking of upgrading to a MkIV, go for it.sengine.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

It's back, now listed with a steering column adjuster fault, but other than that no change I can see, apart from no reserve mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_1429wt_1187

Yes I saw it had been put back on. I also thought that not listing the fault with the steering column was surprising. I could understand forgetting to list a bulb not working but the steering column is a major fault.

Wonder what else hasn't been listed?

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has seen and driven it.

Mike.

It's back, now listed with a steering column adjuster fault, but other than that no change I can see, apart from no reserve mentioned.

Yes I saw it had been put back on. I also thought that not listing the fault with the steering column was surprising. I could understand forgetting to list a bulb not working but the steering column is a major fault.

Mike.

Message from the seller. Steering motor packed up after the end of auction.Toyota said it needs a new motor. Only 34 mls from me.

Mike.

Message from the seller. Steering motor packed up after the end of auction.Toyota said it needs a new motor. Only 34 mls from me.

Item number: 180857897444. This one's been relisted. Only 20 minutes from me and my choice of interior colour. Lexus biege leather-lovely. Saab beige leather nearly as good but only with electric memory option

Mike.

Can you resist the temptation and go and have a good look.

The reserve has been done away with so it will go this time.

Mike

Mike.

Item number: 180857897444. This one's been relisted. Only 20 minutes from me and my choice of interior colour. Lexus biege leather-lovely. Saab beige leather nearly as good but only with electric memory option

Same spec as mine.

She looks great when she all washed and polished. Must get the wheels done this spring.

Mike

Mike.

Mike

I wouldn't pay £5000 for a car and I cannot get away with grey interior.

The green LS in Newcastle was listed in the winter and at the time I tried to get a day time viewing the seller's work hours prevented it.I think its start price was over £3000 with no bids and even now I think it's still too high a start price at £2700. My dilemma is I've got an excellent 'S' reg GS300 with only 80000 on the clock. My Saab 9.5 is up for sale and I want to stick to one car from now on.

Mike.

Mike

I wouldn't pay £5000 for a car and I cannot get away with grey interior.

The green LS in Newcastle was listed in the winter and at the time I tried to get a day time viewing the seller's work hours prevented it.I think its start price was over £3000 with no bids and even now I think it's still too high a start price at £2700. My dilemma is I've got an excellent 'S' reg GS300 with only 80000 on the clock. My Saab 9.5 is up for sale and I want to stick to one car from now on.

Theres No Reserve on the car anymore so the highest bid wins.

Mike

The list price for a 1998 'R' MK4 LS was £49850 and the blue one on Teeside with 36000mls is only 3years old on its mileage. Food for thought!! at about £5000. Does this make the green one in Newcastle with 65000 miles even better value with a starting price of £2700 and never got a bid when it was listed a couple of months ago. Going down the same line this is 5/6 years old on its mileage.

Low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing.

It can indicate an awful lot of short journeys over a long period, where the car never reaches proper working temperature, and as we know, that's when most wear takes place.

I certainly wouldn't pay a big premium over a well maintained 100,000 miler, particularly on a LS, as they wear their miles very well from what I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

The Blue one on Teesside got a final bid of £4672.19. Wonder if this is enough and will the buyer turn up. The green one in Newcastle never got a bid from its start of £2700. Strange!!