Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 Is200 70K Thick White Smoke Smell Of Fuel

emphasis303

Hello Everyone

The car is a 1999 IS200 it has covered 70k miles with full service hist up until 2010 and 2 owners.

The cars ECU went a year ago and a new second hand unit was fitted

Then the car began smoking and drinking fuel really badly. An example is I put in 20 litres of fuel and it drank it within 10minutes. There is a serious amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust i.e thick clouds and a very very strong smell of fuel from the car/exhaust. There are also drops of I think water dripping from the exhaust.

Two coil packs were bad and these were replaced.

There was an engine management light on which was apparently caused by two injectors which were faulty and these were also changed but to no effect.

The garage has no idea whats wrong with the car, they are saying something about the valves that control the flow of fuel but I have now given up on them.

If anyone knows or has any ideas as to why this is happening your help will be appreciated.

Thank you

I would guess that your fuel system is pumping fuel into your engine at a rate far in excess or requirements. This could also cause damage to your cat. It might be worthwhile to either let a Lexus dealership check it out or a good independant.

Check your oil to see if it is very thin and has a petrol smell to it. I don't advise driving it until you get it sorted. Quite possibly a duff ECU causing the over-fuelling.

Thanks for your reply, do you think it could be the valve stem seals, my mechanic reckons so. I'm planning to get it down to Lexus but don't want to waste money on towing it down only to be told the same thing.

Than you

Thanks for your reply, do you think it could be the valve stem seals, my mechanic reckons so. I'm planning to get it down to Lexus but don't want to waste money on towing it down only to be told the same thing.

Than you

I think ECU but seals could have been damaged too. How hot was it running and how long has the problem been there? Have you checked oil yet to see if it is thinned with petrol?

Valve problems would normally cause oil to be burnt, so blue smoke.

White would normally point to water getting in to the combustion chamber.

Black would point to overfuelling.

Are you losing coolant?

Valve problems would normally cause oil to be burnt, so blue smoke.

White would normally point to water getting in to the combustion chamber.

Black would point to overfuelling.

Are you losing coolant?

Black points to overfuelling if the fuel is being burnt. If it is overfuelling because of ECU fault or an injector stuck open it could be that whilst fuel is entering combustion chamber and not being burnt off it is diluting the oil and being emitted via exhaust causing the white smoke/condensation and the dripping from the exhaust.

So many possibilities but since ECU and a couple of injectors replaced already it makes me think that it is still ECU or injector problem, possibly a wire shorting and causing the injector to be permanently fuelling.

Any half decent garage should be able to check your fuel rail pressure. If all the problems began after fiting the replacement ECU then this is where I would start, why was the original replaced?

As already mentioned white smoke is normally an indication or water entering the combustion chambers so either have a compression test done or even better a cylinder leakage test.

When the engine is warm are the coolant hoses very hard indicating excess pressure build up?

Another test for head gasket failure is to ask an MOT station to stick their exhaust emissions probe into the coolant expansion tank ( not into the coolant itself) and see if combustion gases are present.

Have the fuel pressure checked 1st then come back with the result.