Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There is not one indicator out there that works accurately.

Most of us run the car until empty of LPG notice what mile you have done on the tank and just remember when you get near to that number to fill up.

Installation looks nice and neat.

Mike

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am filling up on milage rather than the gauge, it would just be good if the gauge was more accurate... I just like things to work as they should....

Just wondering, has anyone that's had a lpg conversion been told they need new plugs and leads for the conversion ?

Nope... If the ignition components are in good condition I see no reason to replace them just for LPG, as im aware LPG wont put anymore demand on ignition components than petrol would.

Just replace within the regular service schedule and all will be fine.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated as always.

Mind you I don't know when they were last done and she has 166k on the clock now so might be prudent to pop some new ones in anyway.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good plugs and leads I'm guessing its going to be expensive.

I think I read somewhere they are ngk iridium but not sure of part number yet will fire up Google and have a shufti.

Hi Pete

I had my plugs changed when LPG was installed.

Bear in mind that it is crucial for an LPG installation that all spark plugs and leads are changed regularly. I believe these should be changed more often than when driving on petrol only.

Don't look for fancy ones. My set of 8 was less than £40.

All the best.

Pat

Hi Pete

I had my plugs changed when LPG was installed.

Bear in mind that it is crucial for an LPG installation that all spark plugs and leads are changed regularly. I believe these should be changed more often than when driving on petrol only.

Don't look for fancy ones. My set of 8 was less than £40.

All the best.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Do you know the reason why you think this.

Mike

I read somewhere that iridium plugs were best due to producing a better spark from lower voltage from coils thus not stressing the coils.

I'm sure I also read somewhere that spark needed to be better for lpg .

The installer I'm booked in with who has converted a few ls's including his own recommended that I made sure I had iridium plugs in.

On the subject of plugs, I noticed the ngk website recommends iridiums but with a gapdifferent to the .8mm in my hand book! Why can't these things be straight forward lol.

Thanks Pat, what make were the leads do you remember ?

I can only say I have never changed plugs or leads on any of my cars over the last 16 years.

Mike

Think somewhere i read the plugs at 60k miles and the leads at 180k miles

Malc

The only times that plugs and leads have ever been changed are at there normal service intervals and not any other time, and I have never been advised by my LPG converter to change them more frequently.

Probably another little ruse to get more money from people same as Flashlube scam.

Mike

Hi Mike.

Is there any info out there that says which engines need flash lube and which don't? Just to be clear I don't for a second doubt you, I just like to be armed with great info when someone is trying to sell me something.

I'm happy to have flash lube if there is ANY benefit in using it, but if it definitely WON'T give any benefits I will do without. I want to protect the engine due to Lexi being a taxi with loads of round town stop start work.

Ofcourse this may all be irrelevant if I can't sort out the overheating problem. At the back of my mind the fact the aircon was running when she boiled over has something to do with the issue.

Sorry that's another thread, my head is spinning at the moment trying to decide what to do as my lively hood is on the line! Sods law it goes t*ts up days before the lpg install.

Hi Mike.

Is there any info out there that says which engines need flash lube and which don't? Just to be clear I don't for a second doubt you, I just like to be armed with great info when someone is trying to sell me something.

I'm happy to have flash lube if there is ANY benefit in using it, but if it definitely WON'T give any benefits I will do without. I want to protect the engine due to Lexi being a taxi with loads of round town stop start work.

Ofcourse this may all be irrelevant if I can't sort out the overheating problem. At the back of my mind the fact the aircon was running when she boiled over has something to do with the issue.

Sorry that's another thread, my head is spinning at the moment trying to decide what to do as my lively hood is on the line! Sods law it goes t*ts up days before the lpg install.

Hi Pete,

Its my understanding from those who have fitted my LPG systems is that if your car runs on unleaded petrol which of course most modern engines do then the fitting of Flashlube is completely unnecessary. This is also backed up by research I have done on Tinternet. If you have an old type engine which cannot run on unleaded petrol you can use a Flashlube to get over it and the other way is to get the cylinder head and have the valve seats hardened it will then run quite happily on unleaded and LPG.

Re your overheating problem. Have you checked to see if you have any water mixed with engine oil. Best way is to take the oil filler cap off and see if its a nice oil colour or if its looking like someone has just poured Bailys into the engine, if all is OK then that can rule out any head gasket problem.

Good luck Mike

• 1 month later...

Anyone had a conversion done in Kent/Surrey area that they would recommend.

I am close to getting mine done.

Reading this thread I see that there are suggestions that you should advise your insurance company of the conversion, is this really necessary as it does not make the car go faster and appears not to be a modification.

Anyone had a conversion done in Kent/Surrey area that they would recommend. I am close to getting mine done. Reading this thread I see that there are suggestions that you should advise your insurance company of the conversion, is this really necessary as it does not make the car go faster and appears not to be a modification.

yes you do need to notify insurance, as it is a modification from oem spec. It made zero difference to my premium :) If you dont notify them and you have a fault claim... wellll..... I very much doubt you'd get a pay out.

Does anyone else get a wiff of gas when they start up? Its not strong and doesn't last but just wondered that's all.

Hi Pete.

The simple answer is no. Has it always done it?

Mike

Anyone had a conversion done in Kent/Surrey area that they would recommend.

I am close to getting mine done.

Reading this thread I see that there are suggestions that you should advise your insurance company of the conversion, is this really necessary as it does not make the car go faster and appears not to be a modification.

Yes there is Dualfuel in Woking but they charge an arm and a leg and want the car for a week plus.

I now use Profess (they have done 3 of my cars now, no problems) just the other side of the Severn Bridge in South Wales who I think are charging £1200 incl VAT and will do it in a day and they will lend you a car for the day which includes fuel to have a day out in the Welsh hills. Arrive 8am and get back to the around 5pm and all is done no dramas. They will give you the all important certificate so you can send to the DVLA and get the car registered Petrol/LPG

Always first ask your insurance company that they are OK with it if not you will need to find a LPG friendly insurance company, most insurance companies these days don't object, they will also want to see the LPG certificate. If you don't and you end up having a shunt they will almost certainly refuse to pay out at all. They don't charge you any more for having the conversion done.

Good luck, if you want to know any more just let me know and I will do my best to help.

Regards Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links